Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

Yes finally the Harlow collection. Now if we can get RED DUST and HOLD YOUR MAN released that would be all her MGM films on DVD. We may never get her early films released to DVD but at least we will have the films that made her famous.

6241007429_9dd45575c3.jpg

jh33 said: "Yes finally the Harlow collection. Now if we can get RED DUST and HOLD YOUR MAN released that would be all her MGM films on DVD. We may never get her early films released to DVD but at least we will have the films that made her famous."

Ha ha, it never fails. Give something they have been craving for, and they are right back with wanting more.

just when it seemed like the Warner Archive wasn't releasing anything more from the 30's, they knock it out of the park with their best set ever! alas, if only Red Dust were included, but this is still a phenomenal set at a great value. i'd love to see more like this, the Warner Archive is starting to look like the amazing DVD sets WHV released regularly during the DVD peak.

10/18 Releases:

George Sanders films --

DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL

FALCON MYSTERY MOVIES, Vol 1 (7 films)

10/25 Releases

ELIZABETH TAYLOR FILMS:

LAST TIME I SAW PARIS

THE BIG HANGOVER

JULIA MISBEHAVES

NIGHT WATCH

11/1 Releases:

TEXAS CARNIVAL, Esther Williams, Howard Keel

DUCHESS OF IDAHO, Esther Williams, Van Johnson

SKIRTS AHOY, Esther Williams, Barry Sullivan

HONOLULU, Eleanor Powell

SHIP AHOY, Eleanor Powell

AFFAIRS OF DOBIE GILLS, Debbie Reynolds, Bobby Van

GIVE A GIRL A BREAK, Debbie Reynolds, Marge & Gower Champion (Remastered, Reissue)

HOLLYWOOD PARTY, Laurel & Hardy

SWING PARADE of 1946, Gale Storm

11/8 Releases:

BUSTER KEATON FILMS:

WHAT NO BEER?

DOUGHBOY

SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK

NOTE: THE ARCHIVES HAVE THESE TITLES UP FOR PRE ORDER @ $14.95 EAC

Edited by: Edgecliff on Oct 22, 2011 12:08 AM

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

>

> 11/1 Releases:

>

>

> HOLLYWOOD PARTY, Laurel & Hardy

>

HOLLYWOOD PARTY listed as including its original trailer plus an "Audio Vault" featuring "rare pre-recordings and out-takes of deleted songs".

Info here:

http://www.wbshop.com/Hollywood-Party-1934/1000202893,default,pd.html?cgid=MOVIEPRE

Sounds cool! Thanks, Warner Archives!

The site is having a 30% off sale for Halloween. I bought JULIE which stars Doris Day for $13.99. Also as stated before all upcoming releases listed are $14.99. Purchased LAST TIME I SAW PARIS and DUCHESS OF IDAHO. Lastly there is $10 off the 3 disc FALCON set.

11/8 Releases

FILMS OF WILLIAM WELLMAN' --

MY MAN AND I, stars Shelley Winters

LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE

SAFE IN HELL

11/22 Releases:

SPENCER TRACY FILMS:

SEVENTH CROSS

NORTHWEST PASSAGE

EDWARD MY SON

PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA

MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION (3 discs)

LEX BARKER TARZAN COLLECTION (5 DISCS IN CARDBOARD CASE) Reissue

GORDON SCOTT TARZAN COLLECTION (6 DISCS IN CARDBOARD CASE) Reissue

RANDOLPH SCOTT WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION (DISC IN CARDBOARD CASE) Reissues

ELIZABETH TAYLOR WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION (these seem to be reissued encased in a cardboard box): CONSPIRATOR, GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING, RHAPSODY, CYNTHIA, LOVE IS BETTER THAN EVER - 5 DISCS

LON CHANEY WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION (CARBOARD BOXED): HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, MR. WU, UNHOLY THREE (1925/1930) MOCKERY - 6 DISCS

CONSTANT NYMPH, Joan Fontaine

12/6 Releases:

ROBERT MONTGOMERY COLLECTION (4 DISCS encased in cardboard box) These seem to be new to DVD: FAITHLESS, MADE ON BROADWAY, EARL OF CHICAGO, SHIPMATES, BUT THE FLESH IS WEAK, LIVE, LOVE & LEARN

BROTHERS KARAMAZOV, Yul Brynner, Claire Bloom, Maria Shell

GREAT SINNER, Ava Gardner, Gregory Peck

Edited by: Edgecliff on Nov 17, 2011 8:00 PM

12/13 Releases"

YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE, Suzanne Pleshette

ROAD TO PARADISE/WEEKEND MARRIAGE, Loretta Young

I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER/HAVANA WIVES, Joan Blondell

LOOSE ANKLES/NAUGHTY FLIRT, Loretta Young, Alice White, Myrna Loy

THE GREEN YEARS, Tom Drake

These are some good titles coming out in the next few weeks, unfortunately after the Archives usual 50% off sale. By the way I got an email the other day saying "Black Friday continues with 25% off!". Sorry, but that was what I once got as a discount for any Warner Archive release just for signing up for their email distribution list. My wallet remains closed until the Warner Archive discounts these cheap burn jobs 50% because that is what they are worth at the very most.

from my email this morning, it looks like the archive is re-packaging older releases into box sets similar to the Jean Harlowe collection. these are a much better deal than the individual discs, i wish i could trade in my Lon Chaney packaging for the set, since the image makes it look like they're slim cases too.

*The Tarzan Collection starring Lex Barker*

*TARZAN'S MAGIC FOUNTAIN* (1949) In the first of his Tarzan films, Barker must keep greedy outsiders from discovering a magical Fountain of Youth.

*TARZAN AND THE SLAVE GIRL* (1950) A vanishing tribe seeks to repopulate its numbers by kidnapping women - among those kidnapped: Tarzan's Jane!

*TARZAN'S PERIL* (1951) The arrival of gunrunners in the jungle can mean only one thing for Tarzan: trouble, and plenty of it!

*TARZAN'S SAVAGE FURY* (1952) English jewel thieves dupe Tarzan into being their guide.

*TARZAN AND THE SHE-DEVIL* (1953) In his final Tarzan film, Barker must rely on his elephant friends to battle ivory hunters that enslave tribesmen.

*The Tarzan Collection starring Gordon Scott*

*TARZAN'S HIDDEN JUNGLE** (1955) Gordon Scott makes his debut as Tarzan takes on a team of hunters posing as a film crew.

*TARZAN'S FIGHT FOR LIFE* (1957) Tarzan is captured by a witch doctor looking for the heart of a lion - or a jungle lord - for a tribal ceremony.

*TARZAN AND THE LOST SAFARI* (1957) Tarzan's first color film sees him helping stranded high-society travelers.

*TARZAN AND THE TRAPPERS* (1958) Tarzan takes on poachers and plunderers in this film culled together from three episodes of an intended TV series.

*TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE* (1959) Considered one of the best of all of Tarzan's film exploits, Greatest Adventure also features Sean Connery as the villain!

*TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT* (1960) Scott's final swing as Tarzan includes a climactic brawl with Jock Mahoney, the next actor to play the role.

*Elizabeth Taylor: The Warner Archive Classics Collection*

*CYNTHIA** (1947) 15 year-old Elizabeth Taylor leaves behind her child star persona to play a lovely woman on the cusp of womanhood.

*CONSPIRATOR* (1949) 17 year-old Elizabeth Taylor's is joined by Robert Taylor in this atmospheric, early cold war spy thriller.

*LOVE IS BETTER THAN EVER* (1952) Taylor makes her screen transition from junior miss to romantic ingenue in this frolic directed by Stanley Donen (Singin' in the Rain).

*THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING* (1953) Now 21, Taylor packs power and pulchritude playing a pouty Kentucky belle with a penchant for bourbon and dangerous liaisons.

*RHAPSODY* (1954) Taylor strives for sweet harmony as a privileged young woman who must choose between the two musicians she loves. Charles Vidor directs.

*Lon Chaney: The Warner Archive Classics Collection*

*HE WHO GETS SLAPPED* (1924) Lon Chaney alongside Norma Shearer and John Gilbert.

*THE MONSTER* (1925) Lon Chaney plays the monstrous Ziska, who gathers candidates for his eerie experiments by causing roadway accidents.

*THE UNHOLY THREE* (1925) Chaney plays a ventriloquist who teams with a strongman and a dwarf to embark on a life of crime.

*MOCKERY* (1927) In a striking performance, Chaney proves his talents were not confined to prosthetics and makeup.

*MR. WU* (1927) Lon Chaney essays dual characters as the sage Grandfather Wu and his grandson, the "Mandarin" Mr.Wu.

*THE UNHOLY 3* (1930) In his last film - and only Talkie - Chaney re-creates his famed Silent role, the scheming ventriloquist Professor Echo.

*Randolph Scott: The Warner Archive Classics Collection*

*BADMAN'S TERRITORY* (1946) Sheriff Mark Rowley (Scott) takes on a band of outlaws while searching for his missing brother.

*TRAIL STREET* (1947) Scott takes the badge of lawman Bat Masterson in this sagebrush saga of peace and justice.

*RETURN OF THE BAD MEN* (1948) U.S. Marshal Vance Cordrell faces down the Youngers, Wild Bill Doolin, Sundance Kid and more while trying to restore order.

*CARSON CITY* (1952) Scott is a man with a mission, building a railroad through the lawless land between Carson City and Virginia City, Nevada.

*WESTBOUND* (1959) Budd Boetticher and Randolph Scott's Westerns changed the genre forever, paving the way for Eastwood and Leone.

More 12/13 releases:

The Office Wife/ Party Husbands (pre-code)

I've have already listed the Taylor and Chaney titles below. I didn't list the Tarzan or Scott titles since I felt these weren't that important and these are reissues of titles already released. I am also wondering if these reissued titles are remastered.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Nov 19, 2011 7:33 PM

Hello! Long time lurker and thought I would make a debut! I spend wayyy too much money on these DVDs, but haven't had a regret yet - I just want more! I was even considering asking WB for an empty slipcase of the Lon Chaney set for a nominal fee - just so the dvds would have a more appropriate home on the bookshelf! Crazy, eh?

By the way, did anyone notice that the "sample" clip for The Constant Nymph was "Andy Hardy's Private Secretary"? Someone at WB goofed and gave us a sneak peak! Hopefully this is an indication of an Andy Hardy set coming soon!

Lookin' forward to posting more! A great fan site and resource for classic cinema!!

cheers!

ooh, good catch!

and i'd also be interested in purchasing the slipcase for the Lon Chaney set, but i just checked with their customer service and they said they don't do that...

I'm glad they are finally getting around to releasing some more 30's Joan Blondell movies. With the exception of the TCM Collection Busby Berkeley set (which included 3 of her musicals), It's been a few years since one of her WB movies has been released on DVD. I'm definitely getting the I've Got Your Number / Havana Widows DVD. Both are among her better movies, and both also feature Glenda Farrell.

I'm also interested in the Dorothy Mackaill set with Party Husband / The Office Wife. I haven't seen Party Husband, but with a title like that it has to be good. I have seen The Office Wife, and it features some racy dressing/ undressing/ bathing scenes with Joan Blondell. It was her official screen debut too. (Her 2nd full-length movie, but the first to get released). I don't remember much else about the movie, but the few minutes Joan is on screen are well worth seeing if you are a fan. (or if you just want to see Joan Blondell kiss Dorothy Mackaill on the lips, which actually happens, for some reason.)

Available 12/1

ANDY HARDY COLLECTION VOL 1.

(6 FILM BOX SET) @$59.95

SITE IS STATING FIRST 400 AUTOGRAPHED BY MICKEY ROONEY