Warner Archives Discussion

More *March 30* Releases:

Early talkies:

DOORWAY TO HELL

CONSPIRACY

LOVIN THE LADIES

MATRIMONIAL BED

MOTHER'S CRY

Sony has announced four [Columbia Classic|http://www.classicflix.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ColumbiaClassics&rent=1&buy=1&x=29&y=15&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&actor[] DVDs for release on *May 1st*.

Two Boston **** quickies, *[One Mysterious Night|http://www.classicflix.com/mysterious-night-columbia-classics-p-12368.html]* (1944) and *[A Close Call for Boston ****|http://www.classicflix.com/close-call-boston-****-columbia-classics-p-12369.html]* 1946), . Chester Morris stars with supporting players Janis Carter, Lynn Merrick

Also out is *[strange Affair|http://www.classicflix.com/strange-affair-columbia-classics-p-12366.html]* (1944) starring Allyn Joslyn, Evelyn Keyes, Marguerite Chapman, Edgar Buchanan and Nina Foch; and *[she Played with Fire|http://www.classicflix.com/played-with-fire-columbia-classics-p-12367.html]* (1957) with Jack Hawkins and Arlene Dahl.

*NOTE: THESE TITLES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE ARCHIVES SITE*.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}More *March 30* Releases:

>

> Early talkies:

>

> DOORWAY TO HELL

> CONSPIRACY

> LOVIN THE LADIES

> MATRIMONIAL BED

> MOTHER'S CRY

As much as I don't like or trust the Warner Archives, if you are a precode fan and into buying their product, I can highly recommend "Doorway to Hell", "Matrimonial Bed", and "Conspiracy". "Conspiracy" is particularly weird - I have an old C&C Movietime copy. If you've always wanted to see Ned Sparks dressed like Darkman jumping up and down on furniture like an ape and constantly addressing himself in the third person "Little Nemo" does this and "Little Nemo" does that, you'll like this film.

I've never heard of Mother's Cry or Lovin the Ladies.

*March 27 Releases:*

YOUNG IDEAS stars Susan Peters, Herbert Marshall

TWO SMART PEOPLE stars Lucille Ball, John Hodiak

GALLANT SONS, stars Jackie Cooper

GRAND CENTRAL MURDER, stars Van Heflin

HOMICIDE/ACROSS THE STREET, film noir double feature

THE SAINT DOUBLE FEATURE, stars Hugh Sinclair

THE CATS, stars Rita Hayworth

HATE FOR HATE, stars John Ireland

ADDITIONAL *3/27* RELEASES:

YOUNGEST PROFESSION, stars Virginia Weidler

JONNNY QUEST (animated series)

Conspiracy, Doorway to Hell, Homicide all sound good, but my willpower is strong so Im going to rent them first :)

I dont buy too many things blind anymore unless it is really a sure thing based on my tastes.

4/3 RELEASES

CASE OF THE BLACK PARROT stars Wm Lundigan

BIG CITY stars Margaret O'Brien and Danny Thomas

BEAT THE BAND, stars Frances Langford

HITTING A NEW NEW stars Lily Pons

BETWITCHED stars Phyllis Thaxter

SMASHING THE RACKETS stars Chester Morris

TRUCK BUSTERS stars Richard Travis

WHILE THE PATIENT SLEPT stars Aline McMahon

Odd enough while checking the site I noticed some of these titles do not have a price and are listed for $0.00. Looks like they might be free but I seriously doubt it.

Probably the best Archives release this week is WESTWARD THE WOMEN which stars Robert Taylor and Denise Darcel. This release contains commentary by Scott Eyman. This is the first time an Archives release contains commentary. At one time Sharon Stone was announced for a remake which never seemed to happen.

I appreciate the work you do to keep us apprised of the new releases!

I was told that Scott Eyman recorded the WESTWARD THE WOMEN track in 2008, just before the classic film DVD market radically changed. I'm thrilled it's being included! This is a *wonderful* movie and I've already ordered it -- it's the rare time I'm not waiting for an Archive sale!

Technically one other Archive release has had a commentary track, but it was a reissue of a previous regular release: WHERE THE BOYS ARE. It had the Paula Prentiss commentary track. In a similar fashion the new Archive reissue of the previous DVD release of A DATE WITH JUDY retained the short and cartoon from the original release. Just to sort of fill out info on that topic!

I may just have to break down and buy WTW for the Eyman commentary.

Exclusive Story is an odd little gangster movie, with Franchot Tone as a well to do playboy who gets appointed as a special prosecutor and Madge Evans as a grocer's daughter who hates the mob because they are squeezing her father out of his money. My favorite, Joe Calleia, has a rather big role as a lower echelon gangster who dreams of hitting the big time, but is cheated out of his big plan by the mob bosses. J. Farrell MacDonald is Madge's father, who longs for adventure. The cast is what's interesting here.

The archives is currently having a sale and WESTWARD THE WOMEN is included. GOOD NEWS also has all the extras ported over from the standard DVD.

Besides the trailer, deleted musical number " AN EASIER WAY" sung by June Allyson, plus excerpts from GOOD NEWS (1930) musical numbers. I also forgot ATHENA has included several deleted musical numbers.

Thanks Edgecliff!

I just looked up an incredibly energetic clip of the 1930 Varsity Drag on youtube - what a great number! Lots of super dancing with a few odd cutaway shots, but altogether very enjoyable! I knew Penny could dance, but I had no idea she was such an acrobat. I think it would be worth the money to see some other numbers. And of course the 1947 version.

4/17 Releases:

SOB - stars Julie Andrews

VICTOR, VICTORIA - stars Julie Andrews

BRIDE WALKS OUT - stars Barbara Stanwyck

MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY - stars Fred MacMurray, Eleanor Parker

RENDEZVOUS - sfars William Powell

ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN - stars Ginger Rogers

EASY LIVING- stars Victor Mature, Liz Scott, Lucille Ball

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:

> }{quote}4/17 Releases:

>

> ...MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY - stars Fred MacMurray, Eleanor Parker...

This is the second recent Warner Archive release of a movie originally released by 20th Century-Fox (the other being THE STEEL TRAP, 1952).

As with that one, there must have been changes in rights or copyright renewals that make this possible.

It just seems weird when I see a 20th Century-Fox movie coming out through Warner Archives.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:

> > }{quote}4/17 Releases:

> >

> > ...MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY - stars Fred MacMurray, Eleanor Parker...

> >

> This is the second recent Warner Archive release of a movie originally released by 20th Century-Fox (the other being THE STEEL TRAP, 1952).

> As with that one, there must have been changes in rights or copyright renewals that make this possible.

>

> It just seems weird when I see a 20th Century-Fox movie coming out through Warner Archives.

This often happens if the film was remade by another studio - they'll buy up the rights to the original. That is how Paramount's "The Letter" wound up in the Warner Archive.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:

> }{quote}This often happens if the film was remade by another studio - they'll buy up the rights to the original. That is how Paramount's "The Letter" wound up in the Warner Archive.

Yes, I know all about that...but that ain't the case with those two Fox movies.

I believe both films were independent productions and FOX just made a deal to release the films to theatres. I guess somehow WB picked up the rights to the films when FOX's deal with the production companies expired.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:

> }{quote}I believe both films were independent productions and FOX just made a deal to release the films to theatres. I guess somehow WB picked up the rights to the films when FOX's deal with the production companies expired.

Yes, that's probably just the explanation of the situation.

Breaking news. The Archive label has just released 4 long awaited Lon Chaney Silents today on DVD-R. All are officially available for the first time ever on home video. Three of them Directed by the renowned master of the macabre Tod Browning.

THE BLACKBIRD (1926) with Owen Moore And Renee Adoree. TELL IT TO THE MARINES, (Also 1926), with William Haines and Eleanor Boardman. WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928), with Lionel Berrymore and Mary Nolan. And WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929) with Lupe Velez, Lloyd Hughes, and Estelle Taylor.

Both THE BLACKBIRD, and TELL IT TO THE MARINES have superb Robert Israel scores. That should be mentioned on the Warner Archive page but it isn't. The other two contain vintage Metrotone tracks. BIRD and MARINES are also really outstanding quality prints.

Here is a link:

http://warnerarchive.tumblr.com/post/21682609255/new-releases-4-24

Warner Archive only has a few Silents left that have scores, before they will have to start looking at the Thames/Photoplay connected titles, or possibly start scoring some new ones.

THE CONQUERING POWER, THE RAGMAN, THE SCARLET LETTER, MARE NOSTRUM, THE SHOW, THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, and THE VIKING are the remaining non Kevin Brownlow/Carl Davis connected titles that I can think off off the top of my head. If the THE CIRCLE is debuting on TCM in June, that would be another one. Only about 8 movies to go. Maybe that explains the long gap between new Silent releases? Since both A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS and SHOW PEOPLE have optional Axt-Mendoza scoring tracks, Photoplay would not necessarily need to be involved with those releases. Though TCM always shows A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS with the Davis score.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:

> }{quote}The Archive label has just released 4 long awaited Lon Chaney Silents today on DVD-R. All are officially available for the first time ever on home video.

>

>

>

> WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928), with Lionel Barrymore and Mary Nolan.

If the term "home video" can be considered to include laser discs, actually WEST OF ZANZIBAR was released by MGM/UA on laser back in 1993 (packaged with the 1930 version of THE UNHOLY THREE).

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:

> }{quote}That is true. I still have my laser copy.

Including the preposterous typo on the cover in which Chaney's character "Dead Legs" is printed as "Daddy-Legs"!