Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

musicalnovelty,

Yes, I have the laser-disc to. I went back to edit my post yesterday, but it was to late by that time. Having only one day to edit is a pain in the ****. Three of the 4 titles though are new to home video. I didn't want to use the term DVD because they are not DVD's. They are still DVD-R's as far as I know.

*5/1 Releases*:

THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT, stars Jean Simmons, Paul Douglas

STAR OF MIDNIGHT, stars William Powell

FLAREUP, stars Raquel Welsh

BRIDGE TO THE SUN, stars Carroll Baker

HULLABALOO stars Frank Morgan

*5/15 Releases*:

VACATION FROM MARRIAGE, stars Robert Donat, Deborah Kerr

THE SCAPEGOAT, stars Alec Guinness, Bette Davis

FLIGHT ANGELS, stars Dennis Morgan

*SHOW PEOPLE, stars Marian Davies, William Haines*

Show People is a great silent film and was hoping this would be released as part of a King Vidor box set including THE CROWD and THE BIG PARADE. And not as a DVD-R.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}*5/15 Releases*:

>

> VACATION FROM MARRIAGE, stars Robert Donat, Deborah Kerr

> THE SCAPEGOAT, stars Alec Guinness, Bette Davis

> FLIGHT ANGELS, stars Dennis Morgan

> *SHOW PEOPLE, stars Marian Davies, William Haines*

>

> Show People is a great silent film and was hoping this would be released as part of a King Vidor box set including THE CROWD and THE BIG PARADE. And not as a DVD-R.*sigh*

I remember when the Archive was first launched reading some assurance from WB not to worry - it wouldn't affect the output of pressed discs, icluding their stellar box sets. I knew I probably shouldn't have believed it even at the time, but I suppose I enjoyed being in denial.

La Boheme should've been included in that mythical Vidor set, too. These titles sorely deserve top-of-the-line, pressed disc treatment. And being a pre-code junkie, I also always hoped to see subsequent volumes of their "Forbidden Hollywood" collection. But I suppose all we can anticipate from here on out are DVD-Rs. Even previously released films like Gaslight and Scaramouche (1952) are now finding themselves relegated to MOD-hell. I'm sure it's more profitable, but, boy-oh-boy, is depressing. Especially when you *can* go out and buy your choice of seasons of Survivor or Jersey Shore on real discs. :(

I am hoping that WB gives the deluxe edition to THE BIG PARADE, one of the greatest silent war films by releasing it on BR just as Universal released ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT and Paramount released WINGS. It would be very unfortunate for this classic war film to land up in the Warner Archives.

*5/8 Releases*

NAVY BLUE AND GOLD, stars James Stewart, Robert Young

MAISIE COLLECTION (5 films) VOL 1:

MAISIE, CONGO MAISIE, RINGSIDE MAISIE, MAISIE WAS A LADY & GOLD RUSH MAISIE ($49.95)

Looks like WB reduced the price of all MOD's to $17.99 and with member discount the price comes to $16.15. Looks like maybe they are listening to consumers.

New Releases-

*Columbia* titles on the WB Archives

*SHE PLAYED WITH FIRE* (1957) stars Arlene Dahl, Jack Hawkins, Dennis Price.

STRANGE AFFAIR (1946) stars Nina Foch

CLOSE CASE FOR BOSTON **** (1946)

ONE MYSTERIOUS NIGHT (1944)

Noteworthy *MGM* title on WB Archives

LAST MILE (1959) stars Mickey Rooney

Edited by: Edgecliff on May 12, 2012 4:01 PM

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> I am hoping that WB gives the deluxe edition to THE BIG PARADE, one of the greatest silent war films by releasing it on BR just as Universal released ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT and Paramount released WINGS. It would be very unfortunate for this classic war film to land up in the Warner Archives.

Thus far no Silents with Carl Davis scores have been released through Warner Archive. However, Warner's is running out of Silents to release that do not have Davis scores, and it is surprising that two were just issued with Robert Israel score in THE BLACKBIRD and TELL IT TO THE MARINES.

The long promised Warner's/Photoplay Productions collaborations have never materialized. If they are going to release THE BIG PARADE in the painstaingly restored print I have been waiting eight years to see, this is the perfect time. Coming on the heel's THE ARTIST, and of WINGS unexpected revival from Paramount, which is actually touring Theater's right now. I'd hoped THE BIG PARADE would shortly follow. What is taken so long?

If they are waiting for some sort of miraculous economic turnaround to proceed, Fat Chance!

I don't know what WB is thinking not releasing this silent classic. Instead they seem to be concentrating on releasing dud films such as CAMELOT in deluxe editions and on BR. They are also are long overdue on releasing a box set of the SHOW BOAT films.

*5/15 releases posted on May 1.* The noteworthy release is King Vidor's *SHOW PEOPLE*. This is probarbly Marian Davies best performance in a film and one of the best films about Hollywood and ten times better than *THE ACTOR*.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}New Releases-

>

> *Columbia* titles on the WB Archives

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *SHE PLAYED WITH FIRE* (1957) stars Arlene Dahl, Jack Hawkins, Dennis Price.

> STRANGE AFFAIR (1946) stars Nina Foch

> CLOSE CASE FOR BOSTON **** (1946)

> ONE MYSTERIOUS NIGHT (1944)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Noteworthy *MGM* title on WB Archives

>

>

> LAST MILE (1959) stars Mickey Rooney

>

>

> Edited by: Edgecliff on May 12, 2012 4:01 PM

>

What odd choices to release from the Boston **** series! And checking amazon, I see Boston ****'s Chinese Venture, the very last film in the series, was released by Sony in 2011! Weird.

Oh, checking out the artwork on One Mysterious Night, would you ever guess this was a Boston **** film?????

51s8tbBcRkL.jpg

The following is added to *5/15 releases* for WB ARCHIVES

STAND BY FOR ACTION (1942) stars Robert Taylor, Charles Laughton.

*5/22 Releases*:

PHANTOM OF CRESTWOOD, stars Richardo Cortez

SPORTS PARADE, stars Joel McCrfea

LUCKY DEVILS, stars Bill Boyd

STATE ATTORNEY, stars John Barrymore

IS MY FACE RED, stars Ricardo Cortez

AGE OF CONSENT, stars Richard Cromwell

Zig, I can't make heads-or-tails of the Boston **** releases, and the same with the scatterings of Lone Wolf, either . I wish there was a trustworthy source of info about their commitment level.

I see the MAISIE series is getting a Volume 1 set readied, so we can be somewhat assured of Vol 2, I guess.

A couple of years ago, there were a few "AMC Remastered" collections released, and some of the prints used (Liz Taylor's FATHERS LITTLE DIVIDEND) were just horrible - like public-domain versions only more bleached out. "Remastered from WHAT?" was the next question. But heavens, I didn't scream too loud because "it's as good as we get, I guess!"

*FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD -- 6/26*

MIND READER, stars Warren William, Constance Cummings

MAN WANTED, stars Kay Francis

LAWYER MAN, stars William Powell

HARD TO HANDLE, stars James Cagney

JEWEL ROBBERY, stars Kay Francis, William Powell

LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT, stars Barbara Stanwyck.

Unlike prior FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD this is not a box set but individual titles. Not quite sure yet whether these 6 titles will be offered at a special price on the Archives. Any further info will be posted.

BRASS TARGET is set for release July 24. Did want to list titles that far in advance.

*6/6 Releases*

BACK TO ETERNITY, Anita Ekberg, Robert Ryan

MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION, VOL III

THE JOURNEY, Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner

BILLY THE KID, Wallace Beery

*The titles listed prior should have read 6/5 releases.*

*Additional 6/5 release:*

CRIME DOES NOT PAY...(1935-47) the complete collection @39.95

*SONY RELEASES 7/3 AVAILABLE ON THE WB ARCHIVES SITE*

Two are helmed by John Brahm who directs Maureen O'Sullivan, Henry Fonda and Ralph Bellamy in *[Let Us Live|http://www.classicflix.com/live-columbia-classics-p-12610.html]* (1939); as well as 1954's *[The Mad Magician|http://www.classicflix.com/magician-columbia-classics-p-12609.html]* starring Vincent Price, Mary Murphy and Eva Gabor.

Also out is the Budd Boetticher Noir *[Escape in the Fog|http://www.classicflix.com/escape-columbia-classics-p-12611.html]* (1939) starring Otto Kruger and Nina Foch

*6/12 Releases -- RED SKELTON FILMS*

YELLOW CAB MAN

GREAT DIAMOND ROBBERY

A SOUTHERN YANKEE

HALF A HERO

WATCH THE BIRDIE

THECLOWN

*6/19 RELEASES*:

SEVEN HILLS OF ROME, stars Mario Lanza

FOR THE FIRST TIME, stars Mario Lanza

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER, stars John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald

THREE STRANGERS, stars Sydney Greenstreet, Geraldine Fitzgerald

THE CONSPIRATORS, stars Hedy Lamarr.

*Note: The above three flagged film noir are newly remastered*.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Jun 19, 2012 11:57 AM

Wow! I would gladly buy all three of those early Jean Negulesco films, especially if they have been well restored. THE CONSPIRATORS isn't as good as the other two, but it has top-notch cinematography and direction, not to mention Hedy. Is it too much to hope that the three would be offered together at a slightly reduced price?