*6/11 RELEASES*

*MONOGRAM FILMS:*

*BLACK MARKET BABIES*

*WOMEN IN BONDAGE*

*DON'T GAMBLE WITH A STRANGER*

*THE PAINTED VEIL, Greta Garbo*

*AIR FORCE*

Edited by: Edgecliff on Jun 11, 2013 2:24 PM

Basically these Paramount titles are reissues. I wish WB would release some tutkes Paramount neglected inclding LETS DANCE, PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY and FOREVER FEMALE. Some titles were released on Laser but never made it to DVD.

I wonder if its a rights issue that THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY has never been released on video. FOREVER FEMALE(which I own on laser) is a favorite of mine with two top stars Ginger Rogers and William Holden. I think most people do not know this film and it never plays TV for some reason.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}I wonder if its a rights issue that THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY has never been released on video. FOREVER FEMALE(which I own on laser) is a favorite of mine with two top stars Ginger Rogers and William Holden. I think most people do not know this film and it never plays TV for some reason.

I very often cannot understand the decision making behind how/which titles are made available.

As you mention, Forever Female doesn't show up on TCM and has never made it to DVD, but you *can* buy it as an Amazon Instant Video for $9.99. ?:|

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Female/dp/B0092MONX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372390312&sr=8-1&keywords=forever+female

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}I wonder if its a rights issue that THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY has never been released on video. FOREVER FEMALE(which I own on laser) is a favorite of mine with two top stars Ginger Rogers and William Holden. I think most people do not know this film and it never plays TV for some reason.

"Forever Female" is supposed to be released on DVD by Olive Films later this year. I don't have a date though. It's part of the Republic library of which Olive has control. With their DVDs being so expensive I doubt they'll let anybody broadcast their very excellent prints anytime soon.

Some Warner Archive release dates:

07/16/2013 - lots of 80s & 90s movies and a TV show but

Kansas City Bomber (1972) with Racquel Welch is likely the only release this week that could be considered a classic.

08/06/2013 - Lost Angel (1943) with Margaret O?Brien

09/24/2013 - No Time for Comedy (1940) with James Stewart and Rosalind Russell

KANSAS CITY BOMBER a classic, I don't think so. NO TIME FOR COMEDY won't officially be released for two months so I am wondering why its up for pre-order and if you really can pre-order a DVD-R which won't be released until 9/25. I am not sure why anyone would pre-order since the price stays the same.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Jul 15, 2013 10:53 AM

I agree, it's not much of a classic in my opinion but obviously by it's year some could consider it a classic. That's why I worded it that way realizing some are more prone to debate.

I'm not planning on pre-ordering any of these either but (and as this is the second time you've mentioned it) see nothing wrong with posting titles as they are announced as this thread is for sharing information and having (Warner Archive related) discussion as the thread title denotes.

A free subscription to their weekly emails provides same day release info.

Edited by: farns on Jul 15, 2013 2:22 PM

WA's been a little scant on 1930s releases lately (not that they haven't already released hundreds) so it's good to see a couple more early 30s titles announced.

_07/23/2013_

Three Faces East (1930 - WB, d. Roy Del Ruth) w/Constance Bennett, Erich von Stroheim

_07/30/2013_

Going Hollywood (1933 - MGM, d. Raoul Walsh) w/Marion Davies, Bing Crosby

_08/06/2013_

Wife Wanted (1946 - Monogram Pictures) w/Kay Francis

Kilroy Was Here (1947 - Monogram Pictures) w/Jackie Coogan and Jackie Cooper

Edited by: farnsbarns on Jul 20, 2013 2:20 PM

I'm assuming you accidentally omitted Mitchell (1975) from your list. Or maybe, like Kansas City Bomber (1973), you don't consider it a classic but Sweet Revenge (1976) is?

Edited by: farnsbarns on Jul 24, 2013 3:20 AM

Good news for Ginger (and Jimmy) fans!

NY Post's Lou Lumenick reports an overdue title planned for Region 1:

..."No Time for Comedy'' (aka "Guy With a Grin'') is set for Sept. 24, reportedly part of a James Stewart wave that will include a couple of other long-awaited titles, George Stevens'"Vivacious Lady''...

Happy to report a few more WA titles up for pre-order at warnershop including a couple of my fav actresses, Gale Storm and Ginger Rogers!

08/06/2013

Where Are Your Children? (1943)

another Jackie Cooper movie this one with Gale Storm

8/13/13

Hands of a Stranger (1962)

9/24/13

Vivacious Lady (1938)

Edited by: farnsbarns on Jul 31, 2013 11:07 PM

More Archive titles up for pre-order - they're really cranking them out!

I don't see the need to post all titles as announced and don't really care to -

Edgecliff will likely post the titles as they're released and I hope continues to do so - and also people can visit the pre-order pages themselves if they like.

I plan to focus mostly on films of particular interest to me. Though there have been quite a few lately like Storm, Rogers, Jackie Cooper Monograms, pre-codes...

(I did recognize right away with the latest announced titles Red Garters (1954) as a re-issue).

On 9/10 MOVIES UNLIMITED is offering exclusive releases of two Jack Benny films: GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE with Ann Sheridan and THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT with Alexis Smith. As with other exclusves these titles will be available at a later date on the Archives.