• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

October releases

STARRING HELEN HAYES

Good. It's definitely time for Helen Hayes to get her due. I read once that Robert Montgomery was asked who his favorite leading lady was, and he answered quickly 'Helen Hayes.' 

Hayes reprised her role in VANESSA for a special radio broadcast of the Campbell Playhouse (a.k.a. Mercury Theatre) with Orson Welles.

More October Releases

Starring Irene Dunne

More Barrymore

The Great Man Votes (1939)

The Mad Genius (1931)

• Like 1

More October Releases

Starring Irene Dunne

More Barrymore

The Great Man Votes (1939)

The Mad Genius (1931)

Glad to see THE GREAT MAN VOTES finally being released. Very good news for JB fans and for Virginia Weidler fans.

Another October release:

Wild Bill Elliot Western Collection (MOD) 8 films set

Nice. Thanks for the updates EdgeCliffe!

More upcoming releases:

SMART GIRLS DON'T TALK (1948), Virginia Mayo

SHADOW ON THE WALL (1950), Ann Sothern, Zachery Scott

Surprised the Ann Sothern title didn't make it on to the market back in March when she was SOTM. 

The Virginia Mayo film will be airing on TCM in November.

Surprised the Ann Sothern title didn't make it on to the market back in March when she was SOTM. 

The Virginia Mayo film will be airing on TCM in November.

See below for a complete list of crime dramas coming in October

See below for a complete list of crime dramas coming in October

Thanks for the update.

Both SMART GIRLS DON'T TALK and FLAXY MARTIN will be airing on TCM in November.

Thanks for the update.

Both SMART GIRLS DON'T TALK and FLAXY MARTIN will be airing on TCM in November.

Do you know if TCM has shown Public Hero #1?    It was released by MGM so I assume TCM can lease it.

OCTOBER RELEASE

FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD, VOL 9

Big City Blues (1932, 63 min.)
Joan Blondell stars as a free-wheeling chorus girl who hooks up with the ultimate hick (Eric Linden) in Mervyn LeRoy's Big City Blues (with a young Humphrey Bogart!).

Hell's Highway (1932, 62 min.)
Richard Dix stars as one cool convict working the road crew for a corrupt warden in Rowland Brown's Hell's Highway.

The Cabin in the Cotton (1932, 78 min.)
Bette Davis utters the immortal "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair" to Richard Barthelmess in Michael Curtiz's The Cabin in the Cotton.

When Ladies Meet (1933, 85 min.)

Myrna Loy stars as a writer with extramarital designs in Harry Beaumont's When Ladies Meet.

I Sell Anything (1934, 70 min.) Pat O'Brien and Ann Dvorak spice up the proceedings in the tale of a Second Avenue auctioneer (O'Brien) who gets played by a society grifter (Claire Dodd) in Robert Florey's I Sell Anything

• Like 1

Do you know if TCM has shown Public Hero #1?    It was released by MGM so I assume TCM can lease it.

Yes, they have aired it several times-- for a Jean Arthur tribute and a Lionel Barrymore tribute.

MGM remade this 1935 hit a short time later in 1941 (it is a shot by shot remake with nothing changed except the cast)...as THE GETAWAY. And TCM also shows the remake quite often.

OCTOBER RELEASE

FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD, VOL 9

Big City Blues (1932, 63 min.)

Joan Blondell stars as a free-wheeling chorus girl who hooks up with the ultimate hick (Eric Linden) in Mervyn LeRoy's Big City Blues (with a young Humphrey Bogart!).

Hell's Highway (1932, 62 min.)

Richard Dix stars as one cool convict working the road crew for a corrupt warden in Rowland Brown's Hell's Highway.

The Cabin in the Cotton (1932, 78 min.)

Bette Davis utters the immortal "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair" to Richard Barthelmess in Michael Curtiz's The Cabin in the Cotton.

When Ladies Meet (1933, 85 min.)

Myrna Loy stars as a writer with extramarital designs in Harry Beaumont's When Ladies Meet.

I Sell Anything (1934, 70 min.) Pat O'Brien and Ann Dvorak spice up the proceedings in the tale of a Second Avenue auctioneer (O'Brien) who gets played by a society grifter (Claire Dodd) in Robert Florey's I Sell Anything

This is a fairly good batch. Precode fans will be in heaven.

Warner Archives has announced the Blu Ray debut of

DEEP IN MY HEART, all star  music featuring Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Gene Kelly, et al.

Release date 11/17

Warner Archives has announced the Blu Ray debut of

DEEP IN MY HEART, all star  music featuring Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Gene Kelly, et al.

Release date 11/17

Overblown, rather tedious...polished MGM production values and talented musicians...but not as great as it should be. Most home video consumers may want to skip buying this one and wait for it to air again on TCM.

Overblown, rather tedious...polished MGM production values and talented musicians...but not as great as it should be. Most home video consumers may want to skip buying this one and wait for it to air again on TCM.

Not one of Stanley Donen's best.  BUT there are individual numbers I like such as "IT" performed by Ann Miller and "One Alone" performed by Cyd Charisse and James Mitchell. Disappointing film, but quite entertaining. Helen Traubel comes off well in her film debut.  I am wondering why WB has not yet released a Blu Ray of SHOW BOAT, one of the top MGM musicals of the 50s. 

Not one of Stanley Donen's best.  BUT there are individual numbers I like such as "IT" performed by Ann Miller and "One Alone" performed by Cyd Charisse and James Mitchell. Disappointing film, but quite entertaining. Helen Traubel comes off well in her film debut.  I am wondering why WB has not yet released a Blu Ray of SHOW BOAT, one of the top MGM musicals of the 50s. 

Yeah, it's hard to believe Donen directed it. I have a feeling the studio tinkered with it in the editing process. 

No idea why the '51 version of SHOW BOAT has not yet received a Blu Ray. Maybe for Christmas?

I'm actually seeking a review. Has anybody received their Forbidden Hollywood Volume 9 yet from the Warner Archive, and is it pressed?

I'm actually seeking a review. Has anybody received their Forbidden Hollywood Volume 9 yet from the Warner Archive, and is it pressed?

It looks like it is burned not pressed. Here is some information I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Hollywood-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B015XC8GLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446318316&sr=8-1&keywords=Forbidden+Hollywood+Volume+9

Amazon will always burn Warner Archive DVDs because they are set up to do so. I was wondering if anybody got theirs straight from the Warner Archive, where Forbidden Hollywood has had initial limited pressed runs before. Thanks for speaking up anyways, TB.

• Like 1

Amazon will always burn Warner Archive DVDs because they are set up to do so. I was wondering if anybody got theirs straight from the Warner Archive, where Forbidden Hollywood has had initial limited pressed runs before. Thanks for speaking up anyways, TB.

Sure, no problem. Maybe someone else will come along and provide the answer you are seeking. :)

11/10 Releases

Some rare titles:

MURDER IN THE FLEET (1935) Robert Taylor

MURDER IN THE PRIVATE CAR (1935) Robert Young

DEATH ON THE DIAMOND (1934) Charlie Ruggles

• Like 1

11/17 Releases

STARRING RAMON NAVARRO

THE NIGHT IS YOUNG (1935)

SON OF INDIA (1931)

SON-DAUGHTER (1932)

LAUGHING BOY (1934)

DEVIL MAY CARE (1929)

DAYBREAK (1931)

MOVIE MUSICALS

THE MERRY WIDOW (1952) Lana Turner, Fernando Lamas

*GIRL MOST LIKELY (1956) Jane Powell, Cliff Robertson'

LATIN LOVERS (1954) Lana Turner, Ricardo Montalban

EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS (1952) Marge & Gower Champion, Monica Lewis

*last RKO film.

Three out of four film musical gems. Latin Lovers, so-so.

• Like 1