DEVIL MAY CARE (1929)

DAYBREAK (1931)

MOVIE MUSICALS

THE MERRY WIDOW (1952) Lana Turner, Fernando Lamas

*GIRL MOST LIKELY (1956) Jane Powell, Cliff Robertson'

LATIN LOVERS (1954) Lana Turner, Ricardo Montalban

EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS (1952) Marge & Gower Champion, Monica Lewis

*last RKO film.

Three out of four film musical gems. Latin Lovers, so-so.

Glad to see the slate of Ramon Novarro films.

As for GIRL MOST LIKELY, are they marketing it as the last RKO film, or did you say that? Recently, I combed through all 980 RKO titles from 1930 to 1959 (when the studio closed)...and GIRL MOST LIKELY was not the last RKO picture. 

There were nine other RKO films after it. DESERT DESPERADOES starring Ruth Roman and Akim Tamiroff was the last RKO picture, out in 1959. GIRL MOST LIKELY was released in early '58.

11/10 Releases

Some rare titles:

MURDER ON THE FLEET (1935) Robert Taylor

MURDER IN A PRIVATE CAR (1935) Robert Young

DEATH ON THE DIAMOND (1934) Charlie Ruggles

This is a good little batch.

Slight corrections on the titles:

It's MURDER IN THE FLEET and MURDER IN THE PRIVATE CAR.

When I tried to search the titles the way you had written them, on wiki, they didn't come up. :)

Glad to see the slate of Ramon Novarro films.

As for GIRL MOST LIKELY, are they marketing it as the last RKO film, or did you say that? Recently, I combed through all 980 RKO titles from 1930 to 1959 (when the studio closed)...and GIRL MOST LIKELY was not the last RKO picture. 

There were nine other RKO films after it. DESERT DESPERADOES starring Ruth Roman and Akim Tamiroff was the last RKO picture, out in 1959. GIRL MOST LIKELY was released in early '58.

THE GIRL MOST LIKELY was the last film SHOT on the RKO lot. For some reason they doled it out to UNIVERSAL for release since RKO shut their doors after filming on this one finished. WB is not marketing it as an RKO film. It is an RKO film. Its a remake of TOM, DICK AND HARRY. I even have the Belgium poster which claims GIRL MOST LIKELY was shot in RKO-scope. In checking I found that the Ruth Roman movie you mentioned was Italian and obviously shot overseas and RKO might have picked it up for limited release. Never heard of it.

HERE IS A QUOTE FROM IMDB:

"The Girl Most Likely was the last movie to be shot at the RKO Hollywood studio at 780 Gower Street. Filming took place between early September and early November 1956 and again during the week of January 8, 1957. In February 1958, Universal International distributed the feature in wide release on a double bill with Day of the Badman (1958), a Universal International production starring Fred MacMurray. Miss Powell quipped in a 1987 "Films in Review" profile that Universal simply let her musical "escape."

• Like 1

THE GIRL MOST LIKELY was the last film SHOT on the RKO lot. For some reason they doled it out to UNIVERSAL for release since RKO shut their doors after filming on this one finished. WB is not marketing it as an RKO film. It is an RKO film. Its a remake of TOM, DICK AND HARRY. I even have the Belgium poster which claims GIRL MOST LIKELY was shot in RKO-scope. In checking I found that the Ruth Roman movie you mentioned was Italian and obviously shot overseas and RKO might have picked it up for limited release. Never heard of it.

HERE IS A QUOTE FROM IMDB:

"The Girl Most Likely was the last movie to be shot at the RKO Hollywood studio at 780 Gower Street. Filming took place between early September and early November 1956 and again during the week of January 8, 1957. In February 1958, Universal International distributed the feature in wide release on a double bill with Day of the Badman (1958), a Universal International production starring Fred MacMurray. Miss Powell quipped in a 1987 "Films in Review" profile that Universal simply let her musical "escape."

My understanding is that General Tire, which operated RKO as RKO Teleradio stopped releasing films in theaters (selling those distribution rights to Universal and Warners and Columbia), because their goal was to show these new films plus all the old films in the library on television. They also were in the process of selling the production facilities to Desilu, a sale which was finalized in mid-1957. 

But they continued to have a few foreign productions after THE GIRL MOST LIKELY. In addition to the Ruth Roman picture, they were also two English-language films made in Ireland (one of them starred Julie Harris). 

Going back to THE GIRL MOST LIKELY, it is not accurate to say it was the last film shot at the RKO studios at Gower Street. As soon as Desilu took over in 1957, they filmed a 75 minute telefilm called 'Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana.' And there were many more expanded 'episodes' of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour produced over the next three years plus about 30 telefilms made for The Desilu Westinghouse Playhouse. So what really happened after THE GIRL MOST LIKELY is that instead of B films and remakes of old RKO A films, the studio (under Desilu) began to turn out telefilms. The old studio facilities never really closed-- they continued to remain in use. Meanwhile, General Tire eventually retired the RKO brand, until it was re-started in the 1980s. 

I have purchased a few of the Warner Archives, but find them a bit pricey.

As for the Forbidden Hollywood movies, I consider them false advertising.  Implication that you are getting something "forbidden" or racy or something, when actually all the movies are rated PG.

I know that they were "forbidden" after the code came in, but wasn't much there to start with.

As for the Forbidden Hollywood movies, I consider them false advertising.  Implication that you are getting something "forbidden" or racy or something, when actually all the movies are rated PG.

I know that they were "forbidden" after the code came in, but wasn't much there to start with.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread/discussion. 

I do agree that in terms of marketing they play up the 'crime' aspects in noir (and pseudo-noir)...just as they play up the 'racier' aspects of the pre-codes...whether or not the films are really that tawdry.

I have purchased many of the Warner Archive films, but mostly as a buy 2 get 1 free type sale, or buy 1 get 1 50% off, and other promotions like that.  However, at the beginning of the year, I received an email stating that Warner Archives was under new management (or something like that) and ever since then, all these sales have ended.  Now things are just slightly on sale or you have to spend like $100 to save $20.  While there are many films on there I'd like to own, I have to be a little more deliberate about my purchases.

• Like 1

Sure, no problem. Maybe someone else will come along and provide the answer you are seeking. :)

I guess I'll answer my own post. I ordered Forbidden Hollywood 9 from the TCM shop and it was pressed. I also got the double feature The Night Walker/Dark Intruder. That DVD, although newly released, was burned.

• Like 1

I guess I'll answer my own post. I ordered Forbidden Hollywood 9 from the TCM shop and it was pressed. I also got the double feature The Night Walker/Dark Intruder. That DVD, although newly released, was burned.

So there is no way to know this stuff when ordering..? 

So there is no way to know this stuff when ordering..? 

The short answer is "no". I got an email earlier in the year saying the Warner Archive is under new management. Since then, the page I had bookmarked showing replicated discs - pressed discs - is gone. Previously, the Archive would say when there would be a limited pressed release of a new item. They no longer do that. I was expecting, if anything, that "Night Walker" would be pressed since previously Universal TCM shop exclusives would have a pressed limited run. Since I preordered this I guess this is no longer the case. 

I said this before but I will reiterate this. Any discs from the Warner Archive that you buy new directly from Amazon will be burned. Amazon makes their own Archive discs and ships them. If you want something pressed and you know at least the initial run is pressed, take a hit on the shipping cost and buy directly from the Archive or from TCM shop.

• Like 1

The short answer is "no". I got an email earlier in the year saying the Warner Archive is under new management. Since then, the page I had bookmarked showing replicated discs - pressed discs - is gone. Previously, the Archive would say when there would be a limited pressed release of a new item. They no longer do that. I was expecting, if anything, that "Night Walker" would be pressed since previously Universal TCM shop exclusives would have a pressed limited run. Since I preordered this I guess this is no longer the case. 

I said this before but I will reiterate this. Any discs from the Warner Archive that you buy new directly from Amazon will be burned. Amazon makes their own Archive discs and ships them. If you want something pressed and you know at least the initial run is pressed, take a hit on the shipping cost and buy directly from the Archive or from TCM shop.

Have you looked at ClassicFlix? They offer items on Amazon, but they also sell the same things on their site (at a slightly different price). The guy who runs ClassicFlix is very good at replying to individual emails. Perhaps you could ask him what kind of discs he sells before ordering.

I suppose your other option is returning the items if they arrive at your home manufactured in a way that is not to your liking.

I have purchased many of the Warner Archive films, but mostly as a buy 2 get 1 free type sale, or buy 1 get 1 50% off, and other promotions like that.  However, at the beginning of the year, I received an email stating that Warner Archives was under new management (or something like that) and ever since then, all these sales have ended.  Now things are just slightly on sale or you have to spend like $100 to save $20.  While there are many films on there I'd like to own, I have to be a little more deliberate about my purchases.

Try ccvideo and oldies.com.  Sign up for their catalogs also.

• 2 weeks later...

UPCOMING RELEASES:

The War Years

HITLER'S CHILDREN, Bonita Granville

HITLER'S MADMAN, John Carridine, Patricia Morrision

THE DOUGHGIRLS, Ann Sheridan, Alexis Smith

PILLOW TO POST, Ida Lupino

Not sure what demographic these films will appeal to...but my guess is they're hoping Pearl Harbor Day will help stimulate sales.

Not sure what demographic these films will appeal to...but my guess is they're hoping Pearl Harbor Day will help stimulate sales.

Yea, that is an odd mix of films.   Two drama related to Hitler and two comedies that are only slightly related to war or the events at the time.     I guess if they were hoping for a Pearl Harbor Day sales bump it wouldn't be PC to feature movies like Objective,  Burma.

Yea, that is an odd mix of films.   Two drama related to Hitler and two comedies that are only slightly related to war or the events at the time.     I guess if they were hoping for a Pearl Harbor Day sales bump it wouldn't be PC to feature movies like Objective,  Burma.

Definitely an odd mix. 

PILLOW TO POST should have been included in a boxed set featuring Ida Lupino's Warner Brothers output...put a wartime romantic comedy in with the more dramatic parts she tended to do, and the consumer would get a good idea of her versatility as an actress in the 40s. 

The first Hitler film, HITLER'S CHILDREN, was a huge moneymaker for RKO-- people at the time were worried about the dangers of Nazi extremism and how that might affect kids not old enough to serve in the military. They should have released this film with a specially produced documentary or at least an audio commentary about why the film was so important to domestic audiences at the time. It really shouldn't be thrown in with comedies.

UPCOMING RELEASES:

The War Years

HITLER'S CHILDREN, Bonita Granville

HITLER'S MADMAN, John Carridine, Patricia Morrision

THE DOUGHGIRLS, Ann Sheridan, Alexis Smith

PILLOW TO POST, Ida Lupino

Are these in a boxset, or just variably war-themed movies randomly released at the same time.

No, these are single discs.  I doubt if these four films would warrant a box set.

Right, they probably wouldn't because they were quite far down on the list of being released. The point of what we were discussing earlier is that some of these titles, like the Lupino one, could have been used in a previous boxed set. 

Since these four discs are being released together in the same wave right before December 7th, it is obvious they thought they could get a little cash flow going by "grouping" them with the same street date.

• 4 weeks later...

1/5/16 RELEASES

STARRING DENNIS MORGAN & JACK CARSON

2 GUYS FROM TEXAS

2 GUYS FROM MILWAUKEE

TIME, THE PLACE AND THE GIRL

APRIL SHOWERS ( Carson only), Ann Sothern

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, Anne Shirley

BAD BOY, Audie Murphy

LITTLEST HOBO

MY PAL WOLF

• Like 1