Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Archives Discussion

NOTE:  The three imports I mention below are not from the Warner Archives.  I believe they are German imports which are also region free.  The titles should have been listed under new releases.

Thanks for clarifying that, Edge. :)

January (Westerns)

February (Lucy, rare Olsen & Johnson, Marilyn Miller, et al)

**minus the Cole Porter score.  Film originally shot in two strip Technicolor, supposedly lost. 

Just recently someone was saying they wanted the Annabel movies on disc...so here they are!

Can't believe it's taken this long for STATION WEST to be issued. 

• 3 weeks later...

2/2/16 RELEASES

DESERT PURSUIT (1952), Wayne Morris

MEXICAN MANHUNT (1952), George Brent

ARCTIC FLIGHT (1952) Wayne Morris

These were originally produced by Monogram/Allied Artists. The second title was George Brent's last starring role in a feature film.

• 2 weeks later...

FEBRUARY RELEASES:

STARRING DANA ANDREWS

And being rereleased through Archive are two Gary Cooper titles: 1938's The Cowboy and the Lady and 1939's The Real Glory. Both were previously released via MGM's Gary Cooper: Movie Legends Collection

These are all Sam Goldwyn productions. Glad to see them being issued on home video.

THE WHIP HAND was just broadcast for the William Cameron Menzies tribute. I watched it for the first time and found it to be quite good. It's predictable in spots but very well played and highly atmospheric.

2/6 RELEASES:

STARRING MERLE OBERN...2/6

THESE THREE, Joel McCrea, Miriam Hopkins

THE COWBOY AND THE LADY, Gary Cooper

STARRING HEDY LAMARR...2/23

WHITE CARGO, Walter Pidgeon

LADY OF THE  TROPICS, Robert Taylor

Also due 2/16

GO NAKED IN THE WORLD, Anthony Franciosa, Gina Lollobrigida

• Like 2

2/6 RELEASES:

STARRING MERLE OBERN...2/6

THESE THREE, Joel McCrea, Miriam Hopkins

THE COWBOY AND THE LADY, Gary Cooper

STARRING HEDY LAMARR...2/23

WHITE CARGO, Walter Pidgeon

LADY OF THE  TROPICS, Robert Taylor

Also due 2/16

GO NAKED IN THE WORLD, Anthony Franciosa, Gina Lollobrigida

Thanks for the update, Edge. Surprised those Hedy titles were never released before. I don't think they are controlling their library correctly. They could have made a lot of money on those two titles over the past five years...but they are just getting to that little goldmine now??

Thanks for the update, Edge. Surprised those Hedy titles were never released before. I don't think they are controlling their library correctly. They could have made a lot of money on those two titles over the past five years...but they are just getting to that little goldmine now??

Maybe its a matter of restoration.

Maybe its a matter of restoration.

No. I don't think the MODs are restored. They are the same print quality as what we see on TCM. So if these films have been airing two or three times a year on TCM every year, there was clearly no rights issue. I just think they are not properly prioritising the films that Turner acquired. There is no reason it should take until 2016 for any Hedy Lamarr film to get its first-ever release on home video. DVDs have been around for almost twenty years. That's crazy. They could have made a bundle on these two films. I honestly don't think they know what types of classic fans their die-hard group of consumers and viewers want.

No. I don't think the MODs are restored. They are the same print quality as what we see on TCM. So if these films have been airing two or three times a year on TCM every year, there was clearly no rights issue. I just think they are not properly prioritising the films that Turner acquired. There is no reason it should take until 2016 for any Hedy Lamarr film to get its first-ever release on home video. DVDs have been around for almost twenty years. That's crazy. They could have made a bundle on these two films. I honestly don't think they know what types of classic fans their die-hard group of consumers and viewers want.

Oddly enough some of the releases on the Archives are DVD's.  Checked the back of GIRL MOST LIKELY, which has definitely had restoration as seen by the beautiful print.  Looking at back of cover I was surprised it was not an MOD.  Not sure who makes the decision to do or not to do the releases iMOD. 

Oddly enough some of the releases on the Archives are DVD's.  Checked the back of GIRL MOST LIKELY, which has definitely had restoration as seen by the beautiful print.  Looking at back of cover I was surprised it was not an MOD.  Not sure who makes the decision to do or not to do the releases iMOD. 

Yeah, I don't know who makes those decisions or how they are made exactly. Would be interesting to find out.

Yeah, I don't know who makes those decisions or how they are made exactly. Would be interesting to find out.

Started looking on back of jackets and I noticed FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD is a pressed disc along one of the Ramon Navarro releases.  Only bought one of those.

Started looking on back of jackets and I noticed FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD is a pressed disc along one of the Ramon Navarro releases.  Only bought one of those.

Interesting. These are fairly recent releases, yes?

Interesting. These are fairly recent releases, yes?

You won't believe it,  I have been collecting Forbidden Hollywood for awhile now.  What is neat is there are four entertaining

Pre Codes in each set,  I did receive one with Ramon Novarro recently too.  I am not sure who decides to put them together.

I recall that the first one I got had Baby Face.  So they all look very nice.  Some may be restored.  Good selection of films each time.

• Like 1

That's a very good point.  DVDs have been around 20 years so why should they take all that time to release some of the great

classic films?  Hedy Lamarr films are a good case in point.  Not long ago I got The Strange Woman.

I think you are correct that the people that make the decisions have no idea of the right priorities!  They could have made

a lot more money even from a couple of great classics like you pointed out.

• Like 1

That's a very good point.  DVDs have been around 20 years so why should they take all that time to release some of the great

classic films?  Hedy Lamarr films are a good case in point.  Not long ago I got The Strange Woman.

I think you are correct that the people that make the decisions have no idea of the right priorities!  They could have made

a lot more money even from a couple of great classics like you pointed out.

THE STRANGE WOMAN is one of Hedy's best post-war films. Love watching her with George Sanders. Edgar Ulmer was one of the best directors for that type of material.

• Like 1