Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Archives Discussion

THE STRANGE WOMAN is one of Hedy's best post-war films. Love watching her with George Sanders. Edgar Ulmer was one of the best directors for that type of material.

I love this one too.  She and George Sanders were great to watch.   Also I am a HIllary Brooke fan, so it is nice to have her featured

here too.

• Like 1

Warner Archives Collection does such a great job of restoring much older films to DVD.

They recently released seven films that starred Ramon Navarro, who was such a big star at MGM in the twenties and thirities.

These films include the two legendary films that Navarro made with famed French director, Jacques Feyder.

They are "Daybreak" and "Son Of India", which were both made in 1931.

Ramon Navarro was homosexual and he was also closeted.

MGM asked him to get married.

Navarro refused.

So, MGM brought in Jacques Feyder to romanticize his screen image.

Helping out in this department were co-stars Helen Chandler and Majorie Rambeau.

Years later, when he was so much older, Navarro's private life came to the attention of the public when he was brutally murdered by two male hustlers who were picked up off the street.

terry-novarro-arab.jpg

ben-hur-5.jpg

• Like 2

Reportedly, the original cut of the silent screen version of "Ben Hur" contained a great deal of nudity.

But MGM decided to release a much safer version which eliminated the nudity.

But film archivists are still looking for this original cut.

There is one surviving still of Navarro in the nude that does not appear in the film.

And in the sequence in the ship's hold, a man's nude body strung up on chains can be seen in the background.

film-still-ben-hur-1925-granger.jpg

Reportedly, this sequence was originally shot in the nude.

Surprised they didn't  wait till later in the year. It's traditionally regarded as a Christmas-time movie.

Frankly I am surprised they picked this one at all.  Cute film but there are so many more deserving; BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, SHOWBOAT, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME etc.  I just wonder who does the picking. 

• Like 2

Frankly I am surprised they picked this one at all.  Cute film but there are so many more deserving; BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, SHOWBOAT, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME etc.  I just wonder who does the picking. 

I wonder too. And why now, as in 2016...why wasn't it picked a few years ago, think of all the lost Christmas-related revenue. 

And as you pointed out, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME would sell like hotcakes because Doris is still alive and every year when it's her birthday, there is a resurgence of interest in her old movies.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to these selections.

MARCH RELEASES

3/8.... STARRING ELEANOR PARKER

WOMAN IN WHITE  (1948) Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet

LIZZIE (1957) Joan Blondell

RKO VARIETIES..TRIPLE FEATURE

3/15... STARRING MARION DAVIES

PEG O' MY HEART (1933)

FLORADORA GIRL (1930)

NOT SO DUMB (1929)

• Like 1

Since its somewhat about and Oscar winning  screenwriter maybe they figure it ties in with the upcoming Oscar presentation.

I suppose that's a distinct possibility. I seriously doubt people most young people who enjoy watching the Oscars will go out of their way to buy a Dick Powell movie. 

MARCH RELEASES

3/8.... STARRING ELEANOR PARKER

WOMAN IN WHITE  (1948) Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet

LIZZIE (1957) Joan Blondell

RKO VARIETIES..TRIPLE FEATURE

3/15... STARRING MARION DAVIES

PEG O' MY HEART (1933)

FLORADORA GIRL (1930)

NOT SO DUMB (1929)

Maybe the Davies releases mean TCM is finally getting ready to honor her as a Star of the Month. I love PEG O' MY HEART and TCM has not aired it since August 2008, when Marion was a Summer Under the Stars honoree.

I suppose that's a distinct possibility. I seriously doubt people most young people who enjoy watching the Oscars will go out of their way to buy a Dick Powell movie. 

I am sure this is for the baby boomers. And Debbie Reynolds is being awarded a special Oscar this year.

I have a feeling most young people could care less about Oscars.  I probably won't watch this year since I have seen so little of the films and most today's stars hold little or no interest for me.  Too many award shows has definitely brought down the rating for Oscars whereas in the past it was the only game in town. Maybe will take a peak at the red carpet show. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Warner Archives Collection is releasing "Roughshod", which is a Western that stars Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame and Claude Jarman, Jr.

Claude Jarman, Jr. was such a terrific child actor and should've had a much longer career.

I can always watch him in "The Yearling", "The Sun Is Up", "Intruder In The Dust" and "Rio Grande".

• Like 1

Warner Archives Collection is releasing "Roughshod", which is a Western that stars Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame and Claude Jarman, Jr.

Claude Jarman, Jr. was such a terrific child actor and should've had a much longer career.

I can always watch him in "The Yearling", "The Sun Is Up", "Intruder In The Dust" and "Rio Grande".

ROUGHSHOD has only aired once or twice since I started watching TCM in the summer of 2008. I don't know why they won't broadcast it more often. Anything with Gloria Grahame (and Claude Jarman) is going to be good.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Movies Unlimited, there are two more Eleanor Parker films coming in April:

Valley of the Kings (1954)

The Seventh Sin (1957)

Those aired in 2013 when she was Star of the Month. It's taken them a long time to release those.

More Warner Archive April Releases, this time leaked by VideoETA:

Blondie of the Follies (1932)

Bulldog Drummond (1929)

The Man and the Moment (1929)

Marianne (1929)

Piccadilly Jim (1936)

Remember (1939)

Song of Russia (1944)

Times Square Lady (1935)

A Yank at Oxford (1938)

Yellow Jack (1938)

And another set of Forbidden Hollywood Titles (Set 10), but no titles in the set have been disclosed yet

• Like 1

Update: Forbidden Hollywood Volume 10 will be the last installment of the popular DVD series. It will consist of:

Ever in My Heart

Guilty Hands

The Match King

The Mouthpiece

Secrets of the French Police

I don't consider EVER IN MY HEART a classic precode. There doesn't seem to be very much that is "forbidden" in terms of its subject matter.

The Kay Francis and Warren William titles definitely qualify. I haven't seen the French police picture.

Blondie of the Follies (1932)

Marianne (1929)

Three Marion Davies titles were finally released in March..now we have two more of her pictures coming out in April. It's encouraging and causes me to think she will either be a Summer Under the Stars honoree or else a Star of the Month later this year. Fingers proverbially crossed.