Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

Just visited the WB shop again, and noticed that they're offering 1 WAC title to _rent_ via download for $2.95. I don't know if this means they might be testing the waters and planning to rent more titles, but it would be nice to have that option (for some of us).

The rental downloads are unfortunately only available to customers with shipping addresses in the continental U.S.

Peter,

I appreciate your posting of the sales and such here. I don't buy them very often but because of your posts, I have been able to get some discs at good prices!

Holly wrote:

*Not at this point. I've way too much stuff already that I haven't watched. Maybe in another year or two, it might come in handy. But not right now.*

With 2500 films on DVD (I think that was the number you quoted earlier this week in the Hawks summer school class), you certainly have quite a collection already. How long do you think it will take you to watch all those movies?

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> With 2500 films on DVD (I think that was the number you quoted earlier this week in the Hawks summer school class), you certainly have quite a collection already. How long do you think it will take you to watch all those movies?

The 2,500+ figure is only for those I've recorded on DVD-R - mostly from TCM, but also a few from FMC, etc. It doesn't even include pre-recorded DVDs and blu-rays, nor the many hundreds of titles that are available to me through rentals or through the library.

There's probably no way I could even watch my home recordings in less than 5 years, even in the most optimistic scenario.

But then again, I probably will continue to be a film buff for the rest of my life, and assuming I might die of old age, I may still have a few decades of movie-watching ahead of me.

Right now, I've almost reached the point where I have finished watching most of the movies I was wanting to see when I was in college (15+ years ago). So that should give you an idea.

This is part of the reason why I'm not in a hurry to get a multi-region blu-ray player. By the time I had time to watch something on it, blu-ray technology itself might already be outdated.

I'm pretty sure the Scott Value Pak was there before and then WBSHOP removed it for some odd reason. I heard the site now has a complaint line set up. I am sure the calls are endless. This site is still a complete mess.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > I see that Our Gang set is back on the pre-order section - this time priced at $34.99!

>

> Which is why I recommended everyone back then to grab this set and the McDoakes when they were fdiddling around setting it up and had it placed temporarily at the $19.95 slot. I knew it was an error (no way they will sell a multi-DVD set for $20) and grabbed the Joe McDoakes set right away and they will honor the price because I placed the order then at that price

I did try to order the Joe McDoakes set, but was unable to find it anywhere in the Warner Archives site. Was it withdrawn?

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> I did try to order the Joe McDoakes set, but was unable to find it anywhere in the Warner Archives site. Was it withdrawn?

Occasionally some of the newer titles pop in and out of the website for no apparent reason, but usually, sooner or later it should be there to order.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > I did try to order the Joe McDoakes set, but was unable to find it anywhere in the Warner Archives site. Was it withdrawn?

>

> Occasionally some of the newer titles pop in and out of the website for no apparent reason, but usually, sooner or later it should be there to order.

Okay, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks! :-)

New titles in the "New Release" section of WBShop: Airborne, Angus, Crossroads (1942), Dogville Shorts (2-disc set), Experiment Perilous, The Heavenly Body, I Take This Woman, Ice Palace, Killer McCoy, Men Don't Leave, Penn & Teller Get Killed, The Search and Wrestling Ernest Hemingway.

Just got an email about three new value packs:

Clark Gable and Joan Crawford - the 6 for $59.95 (includes Chained, Dance Fools Dance, Forsaking All Others, Laughing Sinners, Love on the Run, and Possesed)

Biography - the six for $59.95 (includes Abe Lincoln in Illinois, Edison the Man, Young Tom Edison, The Magnificent Yankee, Carbine Williams, and The Adventures of Mark Twain)

Robert Taylor - the six for $59.95 (includes Above and Beyond, Billy the Kid, Party Girl, Johnny Eager, Quentin Durward, and All the Brothers Were Valiant)

Now available for pre-order is Season 1 of the TV series The Eleventh Hour (the recent version, not the classic one from the 60s, apparently).

It is an odd choice, I guess, but hopefully they may consider releasing classic TV series at some point.

Just noticed some new titles in the "pre-orders" area of WBShop:

Everybody Sing (1938), Flying High (1931), George White Scandals (1945), Rosalie (1937) and a "Stars of Oz" 4-DVD value pak with those 4 titles.

The 6-disc "Joe McDoakes Collection" is also back for pre-order (in the main WAC page) for $39.95.

These are all minor musicals which I have no interest in. Hoping more 40s MGM musicals will be forthcoming on the Archives.

DDD is now offering the Archive titles for $23.88. This is more than some Blu Rays sell for. Who wants to pay that price? WB must be getting a big rakeoff from online dealers.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> These are all minor musicals which I have no interest in. Hoping more 40s MGM musicals will be forthcoming on the Archives.

>

I think it's just funny that they'd try to have some sort of tie-in to the release of The Wizard of Oz. Every one of those titles features one or more actors who appeared in Oz.

But what you get for your money is questionable. Ordering from WBShop with some coupons (see bargain thread) I got the Oz UCE on blu-ray for a little over $40.

> Who wants to pay that price?

Well, as for buying WAC titles from any site other than WBShop.com, my guess is the only _sensible reason_ for doing that is if you're ordering from outside the U.S. and need someone who will ship internationally. I think WBShop still isn't shipping those titles outside the country.

Incidentally, our friend gagman66 is really hoping for a release of The Big Parade by Christmas through the Warner Archives. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, too!

I am hoping THE BIG PARADE will be in a King Vidor set of silents. This is a BIG title so I would think its too special to be dumped into the Archives.

BTW, in mid-October the Egyptain in Hollywood, CA is having a special anniversary showing of THE BIG PARADE with live organ. I have only seen this film on TV so I may attend this showing.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Oct 2, 2009 6:29 PM

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> BTW, in mid-October the Egyptain in Hollywood, CA is having a special anniversary showing of THE BIG PARADE with live organ. I have only seen this film on TV so I may attend this showing.

>

I saw that when I was checking the Cinematheque schedules for October, and actually started a thread about it in the Silents forum. If you do attend, you may want to post your reaction. :)