Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Trump & Manafort trial....

Judge says "oligarch" is a dirty word

"The term "oligarchs" may well be added to the growing list of banned words list at the tax evasion and bank fraud trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

As the second day of Manafort's trial got underway Wednesday, U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III indicated he was worried that referring to the businessmen who funded Manafort's political work in Ukraine as "oligarchs" had the tendency to suggest that the defendant was engaged in shady and unsavory work.

"We're not going to have a case tried that he associated with despicable people and, therefore, he's despicable," the judge declared during an exchange before jurors were brought into the courtroom. "That's not the American way."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/01/paul-manafort-trial-testimony-day-2-756749

;)

18 hours ago, jakeem said:

At last Paul Manafort gets a chance to wear one of his many Armani suits.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

There might be some kind of message in all of this ostrich wear for a middle-aged man.

Classic example of what I define as Fake news;   factual information that is totally irrelevant. 

Note that the judge had to tell the prosecutor that being rich isn't a crime.     The prosecutor claims the spending is relevant related to money laundering but that is a stretch.    This type of going-over-the-top is how the government often loses what should be slam dunk convictions.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Classic example of what I define as Fake news;   factual information that is totally irrelevant. 

Note that the judge had to tell the prosecutor that being rich isn't a crime.     The prosecutor claims the spending is relevant related to money laundering but that is a stretch.    This type of going-over-the-top is how the government often loses what should be slam dunk convictions.

You are quite ignorant of the facts - as usual.  Manafort was paying for these items by direct transfer of money from his foreign accounts.   But trust you to find fault in just about anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

You are quite ignorant of the facts - as usual.  Manafort was paying for these items by direct transfer of money from his foreign accounts.   But trust you to find fault in just about anything.

The wire transfer is totally relevant to the case.   I never said it wasn't. 

My point was related to what the post of "but also a $9,500 ostrich vest and an $18,500 python jacket".

So once again, you're ignorant but that is OK since I know it comes with the territory.  

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

There might be some kind of message in all of this ostrich wear for a middle-aged man.

geez, we're just havin' a little fun here!

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

geez, we're just havin' a little fun here!

:rolleyes:

My comment was related to Jake Tapper and CNN's unprofessional coverage of what they define as news.

I have no problem making fun of a criminal a-hole like Manafort.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The wire transfer is totally relevant to the case.   I never said it wasn't. 

My point was related to what the post of "but also a $9,500 ostrich vest and an $18,500 python jacket".

So once again, you're ignorant but that is OK since I know it comes with the territory.  

DUH!  These are concrete examples of money laundering.  Don't try to weasel out of your own ignorance.

Your original comment: "Classic example of what I define as Fake news;   factual information that is totally irrelevant."

7 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

John DeanVerified account @JohnWDean 16h16 hours ago

For those in the weeds: Manafort’s bookkeepers pretty much gave him a oneway ticket to jail with their testimony—

one admitted (w/ immunity) he had cheated on his taxes with her knowledge.

Not sure his former partner in crime, Rick Gates, is even needed as a witness.

Clearly there is enough evidence on Manafort for a conviction.   I really don't understand why he didn't take a plea.  (too arrogant is likely the reason).    The 'Gates made me do it' defense isn't going to fly.

The only hope he has is that one or two jury members will feel it isn't right that this 'gang' commits crimes but 5 are given immunity,  the others plea guilty to minor offenses with only one, Manafort,  being prosecuted for crimes that will lead to significant jail time.  But this is slim hope.     So why not just plea guilty, get sentenced and then have Trump pardon him (while Trump is still around to do so).

What I take away from all I've heard of the Manafort trial is that he was desperate for money. He didn't know if he could even pay his healthcare premiums, but he would not give up that house in the Hamptons, and he was buying the expensive clothing mentioned. Yet at the same time he goes to work for the Trump campaign FOR FREE. He was hoping to get something out of this or get something out of this for somebody who would reward him handsomely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, calvinnme said:

What I take away from all I've heard of the Manafort trial is that he was desperate for money. He didn't know if he could even pay his healthcare premiums, but he would not give up that house in the Hamptons, and he was buying the expensive clothing mentioned. Yet at the same time he goes to work for the Trump campaign FOR FREE. He was hoping to get something out of this or get something out of this for somebody who would reward him handsomely.

Working for the Trump campaign FOR FREE,  is a big red flag;   the primary reason one would do this (say other than a family member),  would be because they plan on using the position for underhanded deals that result in big payoffs.    Trump and those that approved his hiring had to know he was up to something fishy.   Even if they weren't told (highly unlikely),  they had a duty to ask.

The first question I ask if one of my friends tries to sell me a guitar worth 5K for 1K is 'is this stolen'?????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

POLITICOVerified account @politico 1h1 hour ago

Rick Gates testified Monday that he committed multiple crimes with his former boss, Paul Manafort,

including filing false tax returns and failing to disclose foreign bank accounts https://politi.co/2KznGqb 

Dj8w_PlWsAAqFLy.jpg

Shouldn't Gates be sentenced to 50% of whatever Manafort is sentenced to?     

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Shouldn't Gates be sentenced to 50% of whatever Manafort is sentenced to?     

Sure.  Give him just 150 years.  That should be incentive enough to flip and testify.

• Haha 1