Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would you buy a Warren William box set?

Would a Forbidden Hollywood IV set containing the pre-codes of Warren William sell? To me, he epitomizes the era, imagine a set with:

Employees Entrance

Skyscraper Souls

Under 18

The Mouthpiece

Dr. Monica

Beauty and the Boss

Or feel free to make a suggestion.

I definitely would, especially if there were titles they don't always show every year. The first two you list they show frequently so I would be less tempted to buy a set if they were in it -- I already have decent copies. But the rarities? Sure!

You read MY mind Scottman. I had THE MIND READER on my handwritten list, but neglected to include it. THE DARK HORSE is a good one also, but I haven't seen THE MATCH KING.

I'll look for it in the future though.

>>It seems like you're all reading each other's minds over here!

Well, they do say that great minds think alike.

I put in a request for all of these on the TCM request site. It would be great if William could get some recognition on his birthday in December.

Not to compare the two, but while George Sanders was often cast as a despicable cad, Warren William usually comes across as a likable one. Ironically, the two men would appear together in William's last film, *The Private Affairs of Bel Ami*, one which I've not seen in 35 years.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> THE DARK HORSE is a good one also, but I haven't seen THE MATCH KING.

The Match King is outstanding, and it is based on a true story.

There was a European guy who cornered the market on matches early in the 20th Century and became a multi-millionaire.

Turns out he did it by getting big loans to build more factories, paying back the loans with money made by the factories and the monopoly sale of matches -- at one penny a box -- all over Europe.

Finally, he had too many outstanding loans. It was like a pyramid scheme. It?s a fascinating story. it wasn?t so much the value of the penny matches that made him rich, but the obtaining of loans for the building of more factories that did it.

>>The Match King is outstanding, and it is based on a true story. There was a European guy who cornered the market on matches early in the 20th Century and became a multi-millionaire.

Thank you for your response. In reading your synopsis, I was reminded of the fallacy of the old "three on a match" superstition, which supposedly was really just a ploy to have to use more matches .

Sure enough, the same Ivar Kreuger was behind that. Ironically, another Warren William film of 1932 was *Three On a Match*. That would probably be another one for consideration for a tribute or box set, even if William doesn't quite headline the film.

Message was edited by: clore

If there is one Warren William movie on DVD series I would include is Bedside. He is so smarmy as the fake doctor. It is Warren as his best. TBedside, Skyscraper Souls, and Under 18 are my 3 most favorite movies. Please TCM give us a Warren William day soon! To me Warren personifies the ultimate pre-code villain/hero.

So nice to see Warren William getting some love here.

I looked up BEDSIDE on the IMDb - I had forgotten that I have seen this one, albeit some time ago. As soon as I saw David Landau was also in it, it all came back to me.

Yes, this is definitely another one for a box set or tribute on Warren William's birthday.

Warren William????!!!! Oh yes!!!!! Dig him sooo much!!! I'd love a box set, yep, I'd be on a waiting list for that one!!! And love to see him as SOTM too!!! His pre-codes are among some of the best of all, and he continued to be good throughout the 30's and 40's (though his roles dissipated in the 40's).

>>I remember watching THE WOLF MAN as a kid and not understanding why Warren William got second billing for such a small part. I didn't know at the time he was a former Warner Bros. star.

I first saw THE WOLF MAN when I was nine years old. It was a summer night and I mentioned to my mother that I would be watching it. So she said she would check it out before going to bed. When she saw Warren William come up in the credits, her face beamed and she said "Oh, I used to like him so much."

She was disappointed that he had such a small role.

• 4 weeks later...

My list would be different, I'd want another comedy in there:

Employee's Entrance (even though I have a copy, it's really a canonical film)

Under 18

The Mouthpiece

Beauty and the Boss

The Mind Reader

Goodbye Again or The Dark Horse

And...

The entire Lone Wolf series on a budget collection.

Happily, I get to see his sole Philo Vance outing later this month, and the Perry Masons are scheduled again.

Actually, William returned to the Vance role in 1939's *The Gracie Allen Murder Case*. That used to be a late movie perennial when I was a kid, but always during the week and I've never had the chance to see it.

I understand that Gracie keeps calling him "Fido" in the film.

I would love to buy a set of Warren William! How about these:

Under Eighteen

Match King

Beauty & the Boss

Three on a Match

Actually, anything w/Warren William would be awesome. I love his line in the pre-Code UNDER EIGHTEEN:

"Why don't you take off your clothes & stay awhile." It doesn't get any better than that!

Heh, I forgot about that one. My set would include precodes pretty much exclusively, though. I just grab anything with WW in it when it shows on TCM now. I don't think I'd include Three on a Match just due to it already being out, it's sorta the same with Golddiggers of 1933.

The Perry Masons fascinate me in that they're all different in tone from each other. From the first Crosland-directed one (which could be a prototype of the TV series and although not a precode, has a rather interesting ending for a code film), to the third (an all-out comedy), it just never seemed like a series, but each a discrete film with no relationship to the others. Only #2 and 4 are related. BTW, #2, the Curtiz, is my favorite of the bunch.

• 3 months later...

I think there would definitely be a market for a WW box set, especially of his pre-code films.

I agree he epitomizes the era. TCM also needs to have a Warren William day next August!

I'd most like:

The Mouthpiece (his breakthrough role)

Skyscraper Souls

The Dark Horse

Employee Entrance

The Mind Reader

All different takes on his scoundrel persona, some funny, some dramatic.

Somebody on EBAY is selling a couple of WW sets, one is the Perry Mason films, and the other is some of his rare pre-code titles like Bedside and Under 18.

• 2 weeks later...