Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I could not find a Gregory Peck thread under favorites and can't believe it.

I just watched Valley of Decision recently and have been watching all of his movies I can. I have Duel in the Sun scheduled to DVR although I have read some uncomplementary things re: Peck in it.

I have even requested the extras from To Kill a Mockingbird on Netflix just for the interviews.

Oh it's not silly at all, I don't think. I feel the same way most of the time in the "Shane" thread in Westerns.

You really should give "The Yearling" a try, it's a very touching movie, and he is very good in it, obviously, I like the way he plays the father figure because it's the kind of father that almost anyone would probably want to have!

Hi Kim, a very belated welcome to the boards. I enjoy your posts. As for your question, he started late because he originally wanted to go into medicine and went to pre-med school. He gave it up and in 1939 and moved to NYC and started performing on stage. This led to him being spotted by a Hollywood scout and his start in films in 1944.

I take it you haven't discovered the TCM database yet. That's where I got this information. Just go to the top of this page and click on "DB Home" and you can search anybody or any film. You'll be amazed what you can find. Of course, you're welcome to ask questions here, but that's a great resource to have too.

Gregory Peck has the most beautiful voice--I have a recording of him reading Lincoln in Copland's "Lincoln Portrait."

"Mockingbird"'s been mentioned, and that's my favorite, but my second fav is ROMAN HOLIDAY:

Audrey_Hepburn_and_Gregory_Peck_at_the_Mouth_of_Truth_Roman_Holiday_trailer.jpg

Only Greg could be semi despicable (I mean, he intends to exploit her at first), but so likeable. He's funny, romantic, serious--he does it all in this movie. "I intend to enter her sickroom disguised as a thermometer!" Man, I gotta watch that movie again.

I also love him in what isn't seen much anymore: GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT:

GentlemansAgreement2.jpg

Two things.

I've used the db for movies but not actors. I will have to try that too.

And Gentleman's Agreement comes on the FMC this weekend. It's one of those I am afraid of because it sounds intense but I will DVR it.

These forums are so great. I don't know how long I've had FMC but I never paid attention to it as I thought it only played 'current' movies. Today it had Where the Sidewalk Ends.

And I own Roman Holiday but have never watched it. I'll have to soon. I'm bad about stockpiling DVDs in case the cable goes out.

Message was edited by: Kim1607

> {quote:title=Kim1607 wrote:}{quote}

> Two things.

>

> I've used the db for movies but not actors. I will have to try that too.

>

> And Gentleman's Agreement comes on the FMC this weekend. It's one of those I am afraid of because it sounds intense but I will DVR it.

>

I wouldn't say that "Gentleman's Agreement" is intense by today's standards. It might have seemed very audacious in its time because few movies had tackled anti-semitism, and of course the movie has its heart in the right place, but for a lot of people watching it today, it might seem a little dated.

Still worth watching, of course.

Thanks for those links. The discussion re:Roman Holiday was interesting.

I can't wait for Duel in the Sun. I've never seen GP as a bad guy. I know this is one where some feel his performance is weak but I am interested to seem him in such a different role, although I don't like Joseph Cotton.

I must have seen To Kill A Mockingbird at least 10 times this year (so far :) ). My favorite scene is Atticus guarding the jail door: The lynch mob gathers - then Scout, Jem, and their friend come to the rescue with Scout completely diffusing the situation.

Coming up on April 21st is a Gregory Peck movie I've never seen, "Behold a Pale Horse". I don't know much about it, but it also stars Anthony Quinn and Omar Sharif, and was directed by Fred Zinneman, whose movies tend to be quite above average. So I've a hunch it's going to be a good movie, or at least an intersting one.

I LOVE Duel In The Sun!! It is soooo different and one of my favorite westerns. I love seeing Gregory and Jennifer play against type and be rotten baddies. I think they are both highly watchable in anything. Greg has the greatest sounding voice, doesn't he?? And Jennifer is one of the most beautiful and gifted actresses ever. They also did The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit together, but i have not seen it yet. Does anyone out there know if it is a good movie??

Well, Kim, i hope you liked Duel In The Sun. It has one of the best endings of any movie. I agree with you about Joe Cotten. He is too low-key for me and i get bored with him sometimes. But he has been in some movies i enjoyed and Joe had a prolific career.

I just watched "The Big Country" again - what a magnificent motion picture. What's most amazing to me is how easily Gregory Peck dominates the movie most of the way, and even Chuck Heston seems like a second-banana next to him. That is just amazing, because I really like Heston in "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur". But Peck is definitely the bigger man in this movie, and it's also not hard to see almost from the beginning that he's going to have better chemistry with Jean Simmons' character than with the Carroll Baker character.

> {quote:title=MarianStarrett wrote:}{quote}

> I just watched "The Big Country" again - what a magnificent motion picture. What's most amazing to me is how easily Gregory Peck dominates the movie most of the way, and even Chuck Heston seems like a second-banana next to him. That is just amazing, because I really like Heston in "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur". But Peck is definitely the bigger man in this movie, and it's also not hard to see almost from the beginning that he's going to have better chemistry with Jean Simmons' character than with the Carroll Baker character.

I meant to quote the Duel in the Sun post too but can't quite get two quotes in there.

GP really does dominate that movie even though he probably as a third fewer lines than other characters.

I have mixed feelings about Duel. I see why people thought GP was miscast.

I liked Joseph Cotton and I usually find him boring also. I couldn't get a handle on the Jones/Peck relationship. My friend who recommended this said he raped her. While the first time was certainly less than desired on her part, later on it seems like she was in love with him.

> {quote:title=Kim1607 wrote:}{quote}

> GP really does dominate that movie even though he probably as a third fewer lines than other characters.

>

In that one movie, it is probably because he is the strong, silent type. He has a naturally commanding presence, in spite of the fact that many of the locals think he's just another Easterner who doesn't have what it takes to make it in the Old West - witness how they react when he refuses to ride the wild horse, at least when they first invited him to.

For any Gregory Peck fans, be sure to keep watch on Fox Movie Classics if you get it.

They have had *Gentleman's Agreement* and *The Chairman* on recently. *The Chairman* is from 1969 and I started it but got bored. I will try it at least once more before I erase it.

• 4 weeks later...