Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Music

sellyoulloyd

It was a terrific question, ms. Now, here's one that is a little different. Irving Berlin wrote songs for many movies. In one of his better known musicals there is a song that is sung by a man to a woman and the last line of the song is "It's A Lovely Day". Some years later, Berlin had another musical with a song sung by a man to a woman and this time the first line of the song is "It's A Lovely Day". Can you name the two songs, the two movies, the men who sang them, and the women they sang them to? I know it's not much to go on, so I'll give you a hint. Both men and both women were pretty good dancers. Give it a try. It'll be fun doing the research.

Now finance, you know how I hate partial answers. You got the tough one. I'll give a hint to you and all the others out there. The later song started with the line "It's A Lovely Day" and it also ended with the line "It's A Lovely Day". Apparently Irving Berlin knew when he had a good thing. Do a little research. This one won't take long at all.

Thanks. There was another big band singer named Helen. Helen O'Connell had a hit with a novelty tune called "Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry". The song was featured in a 40's movie, but Helen O'Connell did not sing it in the movie, another woman did. Can you name the movie and the other woman who sang this song? I'll give you a hint. This other woman had a sister who was a big band singer.

Yes, cujas. "The Fleet's In" was Betty Hutton's feature film debut. It was directed by Victor Shertzinger, who wrote most of the songs, along with lyricist Johnny Mercer. The Arthur Murray song featured the line "You've heard of Pavlova, well, Jack move over, Make way for the queen of the dance". Betty Hutton's sister, Marion Hutton, was a vocalist with the Glenn Mller orchestra at that time. Glenn Miller's featured male vocalist was Ray Eberle, whose brother, Bob Eberly, sang with Jimmy Dorsey's orchestra, along with Helen O'Connell. Of course, Helen O'Connell, Bob Eberly, and Jimmy Dorsey and his orchestra were featured in "The Fleet's In". Your turn, cujas.

Thanx--

Jeanette MacDonald was the queen of operettas, but this great star actually sang Grand Opera as well.

In two movies, Jeanette sang sequences, arias in performance from 2 operas for the MGM audience extras.

Please name the movies, the operas and the composers.

Caveat: These were not snippets, but synopsis of the 2 operas--costumes, staging and all.

Jeannette McDonald played an opera singer in two movies: "Rose Marie" and "Maytime"..

In "Rose Marie", she sang excerpts from "Romeo and Juliette" by Charlie Gounod and "Tosca" by Jack Puccini...

She sang a few more selections in "Maytime", among them were two from "Les Huguenots" by Jack Meyerbeer....

Yes--apparently you're an Opera Buff just like me.

But I was also thinking of her operatic debut in *San Francisco* where she sang a synopsis of scenes from Gounod's "Faust".

FYI Mr MS--that's the first time I've ever seen Puccini referred to as Jack--like Jack Warner.

Miss MacDonald was La Donna es Mobile, indeed.

Take it away MS!

Edited by: cujas on Sep 4, 2010 4:44 PM

Thanks, Cujas...I guess you've never heard of these composers referred to as--- Joe "The Rig" Verdi, Dick "Ring" Wagner, Alex "Igor" Borodin, Nick Rimsky-Korsakoff, Tony Dvorak....Then there's the two Petes--Pete Tchaikovsky and Pete Mascagni--and the two Mos: Mo "Bolero" Ravel and Mo Mussorgsky...Their nicknames are easier to remember....

Question: There are at least two American musicals where the academic song "Gaudeamus Igitur" was sung by major singers... Name the two movies and the two singers...One of the film was in color and one in BW...

"The Student Prince" was supposed to star Mario Lanza. He had a dispute with the studio and was replaced by Edmund Purdom. Mario Lanza had already recorded all his songs, so Edmund Purdom had to lip-sync to Mario Lanza's voice. The other movie is "Rosalie", a 1937 film that starred dancer Eleanor Powell. Nelson Eddy did the singing. If I'm correct, I'll leave the thread open. I will be away most of the day.

Well, I'm back and I see that no one posted a movie music question so here's a new one. Dale Evans was a talented songwriter. She wrote many songs including "Happy Trails To You" and "The Bible Tells Me So". She wrote a song that was performed in a movie that neither she nor Roy Rogers was in. However, Roy's backup group, The Sons Of The Pioneers, was featured as singing soldiers in the picture. They sang several songs in the movie, but, ironically, they did not sing Dale's song. Can you name the song written by Dale Evans, the movie it was featured in, and who sang it in the movie? I'll give you a hint. It was sung by four men in a tent. This was not some obscure "B" picture. This was a major movie made by a well known director.

I was hoping somebody else will answer, but since nobody else is picking. Up the thread, here goes:

The movie is" rio grande" ...the song is" aha! San antone"...

Sung by the trio of ben. Johnson, harry carey jr. And claude jarman jr...

I didn't realize dale evans had so many songs to her credit...

Archived