Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar Levant was a gifted pianist and composer who, unfortunately, developed mental problems later in life...he was in and out of mental institutions. The opening sequence of the movie "The Play House" (1921) showed Buster Keaton playing all the parts inside a theater. Many believe Oscar, or somebody else involved in the production of "An American In Paris" (maybe Gene Kelly himself or Minelli) , was influenced by this...who knows ?

Your thread, Cujas.

To complete the question--please relate the opera's plot or context to what's happening in the movie.

"And how does that music correspond to what's going on in the movie?"

Edited by: cujas on Oct 9, 2010 4:22 PM

I have to admit, this is not a very good question, so I'll change it. First, the answers are: "Song of Norway" (1970); "Intermezzo: A Love Story" (1939); "The Hard-Boiled Canary" (1941); "Too Young To Kiss" (1951); "Ding Dong Williams" (1946).....

Next Question: --- In what film did Frank Sinatra sing the song "High Hopes" ?

Well Miles, I've been waiting for someone to ask me this question for a longtime. Even if you had something else in mind, I just got to get this one off my chest.

"It had to be you, crazy old you, it had to be you."

Well, there it is from the Channel 5, 1962 Late Show: *Incendiary Blonde*. Will that do?

It might do in some circles, but not here. I don't believe that Vaughn Monroe had a big hit with "It Had To Be You", although it is a great song. The song I'm after was in a movie that was shown just a few nights before "Incendiary Blonde". It was written for the movie by a well known songwriter, who wrote several songs for that film. Cujas, I wish I didn't have to say no. I wish I could say it had to be you who got it. Keep trying!

Well, I hate to do research because I've known most of these questions since 1962, but you've got me. The only Vaughn Monroe record we had in the house was "Easter Parade". Since that's obviously not what you want, I'll just have to tell you:

"I Wish I Didn't Love You So"--*Perils of Pauline*

Miles, I'm not use to working, but just for you.

Believe me, I appreciate the effort, cu. "I Wish I Didn't Love You So" is a very nice song. You can do a little googling and hear Vaughn Monroe's recording. It was written by Frank Loesser, who did several songs for the movie. I tried to give a little clue in my previous answer. By the way, I learn a lot when I do a little research for a question or an answer. Some of my best questions come as a result of researching answers to other questions. I think that's one of the best things about these trivia boards. And now cujas, as far as who's turn it is now, I can truly say "It had to be you"!

Many thanx, Miles.

Rachmaninoff wrote 4 piano concertos. His 2nd Piano Concerto is associated with a critically-acclaimed Classic Film. Can you name it? It serves as the theme and is in the underlying score.

" ...Was he not a prince strong and brave,

And slew the dreadful dragon..even cut off his seven heads ?

In his cave he found the princess bound to her earthy bed;

Then came they back to the land of the mighty emperor Fu Manchu

To claim his reward, the dainty hand of Ming Lo Fu.."

Question: This song was sung by the lead character in one of the movies in a series featuring his name in the titles..(1) What was the title of the movie and the character's name ? (2) Who played the part ? (3) Which author created the title character ?...Good hunting.

Edited by: mudskipper on Oct 20, 2010 6:25 PM

The song was sung by Warner Oland to a little girl and other children in the film "Charlie Chan in Shanghai". The allusion to "Fu Manchu" and "Ming Lo Fu" is probably a little inside joke by the writers since Oland played the character in the early Fu Manchu films...The Charlie Chan character was created by Earl Derr Biggers who died in California in 1933, just as the film series was really starting to take off....Your thread, VI...