Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny?I sometimes find myself humming ?Goldfinger,? too?

This not very well known composer worked on films with both Joseph Losey and Alfred Hitchcock?among several directors?but a good part of his career was in TV?with programs like ?Have Gun ? Will Travel,? ?Wagon Train,? Hitchcock?s series, and many others? his most recognizable score has to be his jaunty score for a Hitchcock romantic thriller?

OK, today we're going to have a lesson in show music history. Please pay close attention, because this gets a little involved. Fred Astaire was once in a Broadway musical that opened out of town to less than rave reviews. Before it opened in New York, the producers and writers made massive changes. One of the writers, Robert Benchley, walked out on the whole thing. One song was cut and replaced by another. Apparently the changes worked, because the show was a hit in New York and had a long run. The songwriters did not discard the song that was cut. They put it into another New York show the next year. That show was a modest success. A few years later, when a movie studio made a film version of that second show, they discarded the original songs and hired Cole Porter to write new songs for the movie, so that original song was cut again. Now fast forward more years. The original show that starred Fred Astaire is now made into a movie starring, you guessed it, Fred Astaire. The story has been changed, but several of the original songs are included, including the song that was cut from the Broadway show, as well as the song that replaced it on Broadway. Fred did not sing that original song. It was done by the leading lady. Your assignment for today is to find the name of that original song and the movie that it was in. Now you're probably saying "But Miles, Fred Astaire was in a lot of shows and movies. How about a little more help?". I will tell you this. The second show was called "Rosalie". Good Luck!

OK Miles, here goes:

The original show starring Fred Astaire was "Smarty", with the song "How Long Has This Been Going On?" by George and Ira Gershwin. It opened in Philadelphia in 1927 starring Adele and Fred Astaire to poor reviews. When it opened in New York, it was re-named "Funny Face", and a new song, "He Loves And She Loves", also from the Gershwins, replaced "How Long Has This Been Going On?"...The deleted song was later included in the Broadway musical "Rosalie" by Sigmund Romberg and The Gershwins, with Marilyn Miller in the title role. When "Rosalie" was made into a movie (available from Warner Bros. Archives), it had Eleanor Powell in the title role and Nelson Eddy as the cadet. Frank Morgan was the king, Rosalie's father, both in the movie and the Broadway production. All the songs from the play were replaced with original songs by Cole Porter (I have a copy of the movie and almost all the songs were forgettable except for one, "In The Still Of The Night")...

In 1957, "Funny Face", starring Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn, came out. In this movie were the songs: "How Long Has This Been Going On", sung by Audrey Hepburn, and "He Loves And She Loves", sung by Fred Astaire.

So there...

And a gold star for mudskipper for today's lesson. Muddy, I couldn't have said it better myself. For Fred Astaire, it was thirty years between the Broadway show and the movie "Funny Face". I love it when someone does the research and gets all the details correct. I'm assuming, Skipper, you did research and this was not just from memory. And now we all know that even people as famous as the Gershwins sometimes get songs dropped from shows and movies. It makes you wonder, how long has this been going on? Thanks for enlightening everyone, Skip. That was a lot of work. Now it's your turn.

Yes, I did a little research on that, Miles. Incidentally, the movie "Funny Face" from 1957 has an entirely different plot than the 1927 Broadway musical....

Next: ...This musical, which has the same title as a Jerome Kern song, is the biography of a vaudeville and Broadway star who grew up in Findlay, Ohio.

Name the movie and the performer it depicted...

Is it "Alfie" from the movie "Alfie"? Here's a bit of trivia about that song. In the U.S. release, the song is done by Cher, but in the U.K. release, it's performed by Cilla Black. Of course, the big hit was sung by Dionne Warwick, but her version does not appear in the movie soundtrack.

You're right...I don't know what Bacharach-David and the director had in mind, but the music and the musical numbers totally destroyed the atmosphere conveyed by Hilton's book...This film did so poorly at the box office, that to many in film circles, it's known as "Lost Investment"...I guess it's better it stays lost...

Your thread.