Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As a boy, this composer from Austria was given piano instruction by legendary composer Johannes Brahms. He was nominated 18 times for Academy Awards for his scores and won three Oscars. He composed stock music (uncredited) for *Citizen Kane*, *Merrill's Marauders*, and TV's *Maverick* and *Sunset Strip*. He was Bette Davis's favorite film composer.

This composer was featured on one of six 33? USA commemorative postage stamps in the Legends of American Music series, honoring Hollywood Composers, issued in 1999. A photograph of his right hand, holding a pen and writing notes on a musical score, appears on one of the 37? commemorative postage stamps, issued in 2003, celebrating American Filmmaking Behind the Scenes.

Most anyone would recognize themes from many of his movies, especially two -- one released in 1939 and one in 1959. Who is he?

OK - sticking with "Movie Music" but less with composers of soundtracks and themes, I'd like to pose this one -

The name of the hit song and the name of it's composer that was featured prominently in one of Federico Fellini's most celebrated films.

Name the song - and what was sensational about one of the scenes in which it was featured?

I'm guessing it would be *La Dolce Vita* (Nino Rota). Would you be referring to the opening of the movie where a statue of Christ is flown across Rome?... Seen as blasphemous by the Vatican, the movie ended being banned in some countries due to that scene and the general premise of the film.

You are so right on *La Dolce Vita* - but I'm referring to a #1 hit song (from 1958) that is in the soundtrack more than once in the film - but there is a particular scene in which it is played that was considered sensational at the time.

The song was "Patricia" by Perez Prado (known as "the King of the Mambo"). While "Patricia" is used more than once in the film, it's most well-known for being featured in a striptease scene. Don't know if you know the song, if not, it was an instrumental prominently featuring the organ. It worked well with Nino Rota's score for *La Dolce Vita*.

Prado also had a hit with a cha-cha rendition of "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" that was featured in the 1954 movie, *Underwater!* with Jane Russell.

First, thanks Mr.6's, I didn't realized I'd passed 2,000...

As to what scenes, I'm not home watching the movie so that's hard to tell you from memory. I seem to recall really noticing the tune when Eve and Hopsy are on deck alone, possibly in the moonlight. The song was written in 1940 and was a hit record in two different decades.

Message was edited by: theladyeve

OK...I put the DVD on just so I could answer your question, dear Polecat...as mentioned, this tune is a theme, played intermittently throughout...

The song is first heard throughout the opening title/credit sequence. The very first bit of music, exotic land/snake charmer-ish, is not the song I mean - my song begins moments later, just as the snake begins placing the apples on the tree (three apples, each with a word of the title: *The Lady Eve* ) and plays till the sequence is finished and the music goes very briefly back to what was playing at the very beginning...and the movie begins...

The melody next plays when Hopsy and Jean are out on deck in the moonlight after her dad has tried to take him for $32k - and they walk to the bow of the ship. The song plays through this entire scene...

It plays again after Hopsy and Jean have broken up and he is moping around on deck - this time a slower more somber version...

and so on...

Message was edited by: theladyeve

I'm going to set this thread free..

The song is "With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair" - words and music by Jack Lawrence and Clara Edwards. I think it works beautifully as a romantic theme throughout *The Lady Eve*.

Jack Lawrence wrote either words and music or lyrics alone for several well-known songs: "If I Didn't Care," "All or Nothing at All," "Beyond the Sea," "Tenderly," and others.

In around 1940 he came across the sheet music for Clara Edwards' (then a 61 year old grandmother) tune "With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair." He was enchanted by the title and thought the song, with changes, had "hit potential." It wasn't easy to arrange a meeting with Mrs. Edwards or convince her to accept his music and lyric additions. But he did, and the song was a great success. Mrs. Edwards was then eager to work with Lawrence again but that turned out to be their only collaboration.

This thread is now open for new business...