Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, Yes, Yes--and the "Fancy Free" ballet music was later incorporated into Bernstein's "On the Town", which also took place in New York, New York.

Rarely have I ever said Yes so many times to a man--

Rick you're definitely special!

Muddy, you might dig this one.

The opera, "Tristan & Isolde", has the most famous love theme in music. You can hear it blaring from the radio at Joan Crawford's beach house when she commits suicide in "Humoresque". This music is often used to illustrate the theme of star-crossed lovers.

Well, one exceedingly talented film composer, who was classically trained, was handed a film in the 1950's with the star-crossed lover motif. So when he composed a love theme for the movie, the motif slightly suggested the Tristan & Isolde theme-- To display the hopelessness of the couple's situation and to relate to the history of the genre.

This film is, of course, a major classic, a masterpiece with a rather bizarre love story.

The film composer wrote a number of classic film scores from the 40's through the 70's. One of his scores won the Oscar, though he was nominated a number of times.

You know what I want--

I must jump in on this one. The composer is the legendary Bernard Herrmann and the film is *Vertigo* (1958). Herrmann won his only Academy Award for his score to *The Devil and Daniel Webster* (1941), though he should have won for several of his other scores as well.

Cujas, I had to jump in because Bernard Herrmann is one of my favorite composers and Vertigo is one of my favorite scores. Yes, I can hear the Wagner influences but I know the score so well that now when I listen to it, all I hear is Herrmann's magnificent music. The film and the music are truly to be cherished.

Cujas, please take the thread or it is open to all.

This one is for Miles and whomever loves it as much as we do --

"There's a light in her eye

Though she may try to hide it, she cannot deny

There's a light in her eye."

I don't know, but here's a clip of both of them singing...It's incredible Allan Jones can sing so good at his age :...http://youtu.be/S34cQMYKyBo

Next, from another operetta:-

"You and I are good for nothing but to die--

Let us die for Liberty !"

Song, singer, composer, movie.