Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The song is "I'm a Dreamer, Aren't We All?". It was sung by Janet Gaynor in an early talkie called "Sunnyside Up". Here's a clip:

The movie has been shown on TCM within the last year. It featured a very young Jackie Cooper in one scene.

Thanks. I always thought it sounded like "I'm a dreamer, Montreal". Now here's one that was a popular song before it was used in a movie.

I drove a herd of cattle out from old Nebraska way,

That's how I came to be in the state of I O Way.

I met a gal in I O Way, her eyes were big and blue.

I asked her what her name was, she said

The next line is the title. Can you name the song, the movie, and the singer?

Yes.

Sioux City Sue, Sioux City Sue,

Your hair is red, your eyes are blue,

I'd swap my horse and dog for you.

Sioux City Sue, Sioux City Sue,

There ain't no gal as true

As my sweet Sioux City Sue

There's a lot more, as you can see in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRBitZbvew

This was Gene Autry's first movie after returning from military service in World War II. The song was recorded by many artists including Bing Crosby. You're up next, Mr. sixes.

:x "Take it, take a chance now

For romance now,

Tell that someone that you care..."

This song was sung by two different leading ladies in two different movies made the same year...Name the song, the two singers, and the two movies...

Thanks. The movie and play "Bang The Drum Slowly" was about a slow witted basball catcher with a terminal illness and his teamate who takes care of him. The title was adapted from the song lyric "Beat The Drum Slowly", which was from a well known ballad. The actual lyrics are:

Oh, beat the drum slowly and play the fife lowly,

And play the dead march as you carry me along,

Take me to the valley, and lay the sod o'er me,

For I'm a young cowboy and I know I've done wrong.

This song has been in many movies and has been recorded by many singers. It was recently done in a movie on TCM in May when movies about horses were featured. It was done by an actor who would also have a career as a singer. Can you name the song and the western movie and singer that I am referring to?

Yes, it was Burl Ives singing "The Streets Of Laredo" in the movie "Smoky". That song obviously inspired the Marty Robbins hit "El Paso". Many country and western singers recorded "Streets Of Laredo", and it was indeed the source of the title for "Bang The Drum Slowly". Your turn now, Mr. Sixes.

*"Cocktails For Two" was first sung and introduced in the film "Murder In The Vanities" by Carl Brisson. The most famous version, of course, was the hit parody by Spike Jones and his Orchestra with all the sound effects.*

Here's a very nice song sung by a classic character:

"Why do they make me sing that song?

Now, whoever wrote it was certainly wrong,

"It's bright ahead! Go right ahead!"

I'd rather go home and go right to bed...

My feet are wet

My bunions ache,

And yet I've got to keep wide awake..."

Song, character singing, and classic movie ?

"

Yes--I thought "It's Magic"--the only song I really know from the movie was too easy. So I picked a "hard" one. But looks like not hard enough for you. Someday Soon maybe I'll stump you.

'til then Miles, it's all yours--

That's it, muddy! The movie was an adaptation of a Broadway show "The Gay Divorce", which had starred Fred Astaire. The only song from the stage show that was retained for the movie was Cole Porter's "Night And Day". The song "Needle In A Haystack" as well as other songs were written especially for the movie. Now that you've watched the clip, I expect that you'll be doing a little dance whenever you're putting on a neck tie. Before you try that, how about posing the next question?