Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sellyoulloyd

Movie Music

I know they dropped several tunes and that there were complaints that the film was turning into an Ann-Margaret showcase - as far as I can tell the "Bye Bye Birdie" theme was new and possibly "We Love You Conrad." Wish I'd seen the Broadway show, the movie doesn't do much for me, tho some good songs and performances.

you're right---the song Bye Bye Birdie isn't in the original.

(as many problems as the original play has, it's still much better than the film. that's sad.)

you're thread!

I'll try to jump-start this thread. Speaking of Preston Sturges, what piece of classical music can you hear in the film-within-a-film in the first scene of Sullivan's Travels?

No, although, if memory serves, "Spring Song" is used a few minutes later in the film, when Sullivan first begins his journey. I'm talking about the fast classical piece that is playing during the fight scene on top of the moving train.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have revived this thread. Anyway, the answer was Beethoven 's "Moonlight Sonata."

Let me see if we can revive this thread...Let's limit ourselves to trivia questions about songs and music from the movies, including composers...Here goes:

The song "Where Walks My True Love" was sung as a lullaby in a 50's movie. For some reason, it was deleted from the DVD and later versions of this movie. It was replaced with an inferior song...The movie was a period musical. Question:--

What was the title of the movie and which shy female vocalist made the song popular in the fifties ???..

The theme music, "Dum De Dum Dum', for the TV shows "Dragnet" and "Dragnet 67" was an expanded form of the music from what film noir movie ? This was the first important role for a major male star of the fifties and sixties--Who was the actor ? Lastly, who was the original composer ?

THE KILLERS, Burt Lancaster, Miklos Rosza? I'm pretty sure these are right, but I'll wait for confirmation, just in case I missed something.

Thanks, mudskipper.

Next question:

In what film can you see the Oscar-winning song "Buttons and Bows" performed by its composers?

That would be "Sunset Boulevard". The composers were Jay Livingston and Ray Evans. Jay Livingston was the brother-in-law of Nancy Olson, who was featured in the film.

SUNSET BLVD is correct, miles. Nice going. And thanks for the heretofore unknown tidbit about Livingston's relationship to Nancy Olson. Your thread. . .

Yes, Livingston and Evans had a string of hits. They did an album just a few years ago with Michael Feinstein. It really brings back some old memories. Now, Nat King Cole had a hit with "Smile", which was written by Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin used it as theme music for a movie, but he didn't call it "Smile". What was the movie?

Speaking of Charlie Chaplin, the musical theme in one of his movies was turned into a hit song, a ballad, by one of the stars of "Hit The Deck"...Name the hit song, the Chaplin movie it came from, and the name of the singer...

Edited by: mudskipper on Jun 3, 2010 5:57 PM

I think that would be "Eternally" from "Limelight". It was a hit for Vic Damone, who was one of the stars of "Hit The Deck".