Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Music

sellyoulloyd

Ok. The composer was Victor Young, who gave us such songs as "When I Fall In Love", "Love Letters", "Blue Star", "Written On The Wind", and "Alone At Last". He won the Oscar for "Around The World In Eighty Days" but died in 1956, a few months before the ceremony.

The title of the song I'm looking for is "Everything I Do", and you can hear Joni James sing it on You Tube, but I think the instrumental version, also on You Tube, is better.

The movie it came from stars an actor known for his wives, and another one who comes from an acting family---more like the black sheep of that family...

Edited by: mudskipper on Jun 20, 2010 11:15 PM

No. Not "Something To Live For". The movie was about the Oklahoma National Guards during World War II, and the title was symbolic....According to IMDB, in 1980, the eccentric actor who came from a well-known family of thespians, together with his son, exhumed his father's remains and had it cremated according to the deceased's wishes... His father had been dead for 38 years.

Yup, even Leonard Maltin found room for that one in his Video Guide.

Next:

Andre Previn's theme for 1966's THE FORTUNE COOKIE wryly includes the melody for what Cole Porter standard?

Probably Jerry Goldsmith ("The Waltons"), but your clues seem to be describing two different movies.

Is PLANET OF THE APES the sci-fi movie, and THE OMEN the Oscar winning horror movie?

Thanks 6's. Goldsmith's OMEN score used to drive me up a wall, but as I've gotten older, I have a better appreciation for it.

Next:

Harpo Marx had a trademark of doing a harp solo in most of the Marx Brothers' movies. However, in one of the Marx's Paramount classics, Harpo has TWO separate instrumental solos, both renditions of an all-too-recurring song heard throughout the film. Name the movie and the OTHER instrument that Harpo plays in the film.

Yes, that's the answer that I was looking for. As far as I know, this is the only time Harpo played a solo of anything other than a harp in a movie. Nice going, 6's. The board is yours . . .

Elmer Berstein scored *To Kill a Mockingbird* (1962), was mentored by Copland and had been gray-listed?maybe the sci-fi cult classics are *Robot Monster* and *Cat-Women of the Moon*?I enjoyed his score on one of his last films, *Far From Heaven* and will never understand why he didn?t get an Oscar for *The Magnificent Seven*

Elmer Bernstein did have an amazing body of work?the reason I single out *The Magnificent Seven* is that I think most people could identify the theme and the film instantly?how rare is that? I?ll be back?

Thanks...Rhonda Fleming also has a version of that song.

next:-- Hoagy Carmichael originally composed "Stardust" as a faster, jazzy tune which is very different from the soft dreamy melody that we hear today...Which composer and arranger should we thank for this great improvement.?

Actually, the composer/arranger/violinist I was referring to was working with Isham Jones in New York in the early 1930's when he transformed Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" from an up-tempo jazz piece to a romantic ballad with his violin arrangements....

Edited by: mudskipper on Jul 1, 2010 12:34 AM

Archived