Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Music

sellyoulloyd

Okay, we'll make this next one a bit shorter. There was a movie in which Louis Armstrong sings a song to a horse. That's about all that I'm giving you to go on. What was the name of the movie? What was the name of the song, and what was the name of the horse? I will tell you this. The movie has been shown on TCM in the past, but is probably considered to be somewhat obscure by some, although it had some major stars. The song, however, was anything but obscure. It was nominated for an Oscar and became a standard for many years.

Yes, Eve, although I believe it was written by Harry Warren and Johnny Mercer. The 1938 movie starred Dick Powell, Ronald Reagan, and the beautiful Anita Louise. She can be seen later this month in "The Little Princess". Some may remember her from the 50's TV series "My Friend Flicka", where she played the mother of Johnny Washbrook. In the movie "Going Places", the horse only responds to commands when someone sings or plays the song "Jeepers Creepers", and just like in the scriptures, when Gabriel blows his horn, big things happen. Dick Powell is afraid of horses, but somehow he ends up riding "Jeepers Creepers" in a wild Maryland steeplechase race. It is reminiscent of Harpo Mark in "A Day At The Races" or Lou Costello in "It Ain't Hay". Dick Powell knew that he was near the end of his days as a young crooner, although he would still sing in an Abbott and Costello film called "In The Navy". In the early forties, he would change his image and career completely when he played hard-boiled detective Philip Marlowe in "Murder, My Sweet". Good job, Eve. You didn't have much to work with. Now it's your turn.

"Suppress cheering in the Bronx" &

"Make City Hall a skating rink" are verses from a song with this refrain:

"But, please, please, I beg on my knees,------------"

Please, give me the name of the song, which are the last words at the end of the refrain; the movie, the composer (s) and the performer(s).

Here one. You've all heard of the songs "Minnie The Moocher" and "Minnie The Mermaid". There is another song featuring the name Minnie in the title. It was performed by a major star in a major movie with a major cast. With all these majors, you might be thinking of "Catch-22", but there is no catch here. Can you name the song, the star who sang it, and the movie it was from? By the way, it has nothing to do with Minnie Mouse, so get that idea right out of your head!

It's *For Me & My Gal*, but I don't remember Judy singing any song about "Minnie". However, I haven't seen it in 35 years??? Yet it could also be *Strike Up the Band* ??

Help!

Edited by: cujas on Jul 12, 2010 5:11 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 12, 2010 5:12 PM

Aye, aye, aye, They call her Minnie from Trinidad,

Aye, aye, aye, She wasn't good but she wasn't bad!

Yes, Judy Garland and a group of dancers performed that song in a production number from "Ziegfeld Girl". The movie also featured Lana Turner and Hedy Lamarr. There's a line in the song that goes:

"In Hollywood, Minnie traveled far, They changed her name to Minnie La Mar".

It was rather unusual to have three leading ladies in the same picture, but MGM spared no expense with this one. Cujas, you sounded so sure for a moment. You had the right year. Apparently my last clue got some folks looking in the right area. Poinciana, which is also the name of a lovely song, it's your turn now. If you come up with a good tap dancing song, then my money's on Cujas to get it!

Well, it's been awhile, so let's try this one.

Song from a movie musical, originally from a Broadway show.

It is all about--in one word-- gossip.

You can name the song, and the performers/movie (s)

Hint: if it's gossip, there are always going to be 2 performers for this number.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 16, 2010 4:25 PM

Mr. 6--I'm going to be Leo Durocher on you with this--I really want a number with just 2 people in it--

I'll tell you--you've got all the other criteria--Broadway and all--

If no one gets it, by tommorrow it yours. OK?

And One Hint--the characters performing this gossip number are a lot more sophisticated than the folks of River City.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 16, 2010 5:04 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 16, 2010 5:06 PM

"Have you heard about Mimsy Star?"

"Oh, what now?"

"She got pinched in the Astor Bar."

"Sauced again, eh?"

"She was stoned!"

"Well, did you evah?'

"Never"

"What a swell party this is."

Originally from Porter's Broadway show--"DuBarry was a Lady"

Mr. 6 is s'elegant--go for it!