Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Music

sellyoulloyd

Thanks...

Next:-- A young composer, unable to finish her musical masterpiece, falls from the cliffs of Cornwall and dies..Her sister keeps her memory alive. 25 years later, while the family listens to the composition on the radio, a strange woman bursts in, sits in front of the piano, and starts playing the concerto..The sister, thinking she is the reincarnation of her late sister, cares for her...This movie gave us one of the most beautiful piano concertos from the forties... Name the movie, the musical theme (concerto), and the composer...

Edited by: mudskipper on Jul 19, 2010 11:39 PM

Thank you, that was a very interesting question.

Next: This song was from a Broadway show made into a movie musical.

Some of the lyrics are:

"At cocktail time it'll be so nice

You know you won't have to phone for ice."

Sung by several performers.

Thanks. A few weeks ago I posted about Shirley Temple and Alice Faye both singing "When I'm With You" from the movie "The Poor Little Rich Girl", which was just shown on TCM recently. Well, guess what? The same thing happened in another Shirley Temple movie. The adult woman sang a song that became a pretty big hit and Shirley did a version with lyrics tailored for a child. The song became a modest hit for the woman and it was also a fairly big hit for Benny Goodman and his orchestra. Years later, another completely different song, with the exact same title, became a hit for Paul Anka. Can you name the movie, the woman, and the song?

Thanks. A few weeks ago I posted about Shirley Temple and Alice Faye both singing "When I'm With You" from the movie "The Poor Little Rich Girl", which was just shown on TCM recently. Well, guess what? The same thing happened in another Shirley Temple movie. The adult woman sang a song that became a pretty big hit and Shirley did a version with lyrics tailored for a child. The song became a modest hit for the woman and it was also a fairly big hit for Benny Goodman and his orchestra. Years later, another completely different song, with the exact same title, became a hit for Paul Anka. Can you name the movie, the woman, and the song?

No takers yet? Here's some help. In the movie, Robert Young and Alan "Rocky" Lane are rivals for the affections of the woman. Shirley impersonates Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, and Ginger Rogers, and she also speaks some Chinese.

Good job, Skipper. The two songs have the same title, but they are completely different. Alice Faye was in two movies with Shirley Temple in 1936 and then she became a leading star on her own. Your turn now. I'm going to take a little vacation time. I hope to return to the boards in about a week.

Believe or not, Judy Garland and Lena Horne both had to audition at MGM for Louis B. Mayer. The question is two-fold: what song did each artist sing and who were the composers/lyricists of the two songs.

Of course, both songs are now considered to be standards.

Archived