Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Devil's in Love" (1933)

I recorded this William Dieterle movie from the Fox channel earlier today, it stars Loretta Young and Victor Jory. The scenes involving the battles of the French Foreign Legion are very exciting and well directed.

It only has 36 votes on imdb.com, so it probably isn't shown all that often.

I think I recorded mine off that channel about four years ago. They play it pretty frequently. I enjoyed it more than I expected to and I remember being very surprised at how handsome Victor Jory was in the picture. When I think of him I always think of him how he looked in Gone With The Wind, decidedly less handsome than in The Devil's In Love and it was only about 6 years later.

Good point, goldensilents. I'm just glad I was able to record it today, because I looked at the schedule and it isn't supposed to be shown again any time soon.

And was it just my imagination, or was the Fox logo at the beginning of the movie something that was not there _originally_ ? Because the first title card of the movie clearly says "Fox Films" so I take it it was released before the merger with 20th Century.

>I remember being very surprised at how handsome Victor Jory was in the picture

Must be the makeup or lighting or something. I recently watched the serial THE GREEN ARCHER, which was made thesame year as GWTW & Jory is the hero. He looks perfectly acceptable.

i originally decided to check it out for two reasons-i think pre-code films are just more interesting because they didn't play it safe. to me good cinema shouldn't play it safe and let the audience decide to watch it or not. i mean if a show is not for them then so be it but not water down and sanitize movies just for the sake of being p.c. now i don't care for gross out things that are done in movies nowadays. anyway also i thought this one had an interesting title and i just found myself liking it. i was glad i checked it out. i would probably check out victor jory in other films because him and loretta young has good chemistry so it make me think that is probably the case with his other leading ladies. don't freak out on me but i just have to say the worst leading man in my opinion is george brent. he always comes across as boring to me. i say don't freak out because i am sure there are fans of his thight might be reading this message but i just didn't care for him in pre-code films.