Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jimbluemusic

Help in finding a Rat Pack Movie!

Hello Everyone,

I am the new kid on the block. Right off the top I have a question hopefully one of you can answer. I have already asked classicsfan1119, but I thought I would put it in a new post.

Has anyone seen, or even heard of, "Sergeants Three?" It was a Rat Pack movie which was a take off on the great "Gunga Din." Funny, funny movie. However, I cannot seem to find a copy for sale (VHS/DVD). I have requested TCM to show it. I am really anxious to see if THEY can find it. Which is why I always keep a blank tape, and now a blank DVD at the ready.

Thanks for any help. Take care.

Jim

I don't know if you have The Westerns channel but it seems to me they show it on that channel. I like those Rat Pack movies even though I wouldn't exactly call them high art. But they sure seemed like they were having fun.

Sergeants 3 was released through United Artist. The UA catalog is owned by present day MGM. If they were to show it, it would have to be leased.

I can't enjoy any Rat pack film knowing the way Sinatra used such projects to keep Sammy , Lawford, and Bishop in line. It was either kiss his butt or they didn't get a part in the movie. Notice that "Sergeants 3" was Lawford's last Pack film after he delivered the message from the Kennedys that JFK would make Bing Crosby's house his "Western White House" while staying in Palm Springs. It wasn't Peter's fault- it was just decided that JFK and Sinatra were too volatile a combo... not to mention the fact that some of Frank's less savory friends might try to crash. While Sinatra was a truly remarkable talent, as a human being he could behave dispicably.

Jim....sorry I failed to reply earlier about this movie. I'm not the one among us who would know much about any of the Rat Pack films as they simply are not my "cup of tea". I suggest that you post directly to Spencer...he is very fond of them and can tell you anything you might like to know about their personal lives, and their movies. If you get HBO, you can see the docudrama "The Rat Pack" on this coming Friday there. ;)ML

It's too bad about the bad blood amongst the Rat Pack. It seems by the mid 60's they all had pretty successful careers, except Lawford. I just always assumed, besides the change in plans for JFK, that he was a drinker and a drug abuser and that's why his career fell off. Also, he no longer had his matinee good looks. But Dean and Sammy seemed to have sparkling careers, even after there was little left of the Rat Pack. I know Frank was powerful and liked to hold all the cards, but he's still a national treasure. I know this sounds like I'm making excuses for him. Sorry about that.

Brack, I too feel that he was a great artist. But, here's a little more insight into Sinatra the man. One night when The "Chairman of the Board" didn't get his own way (forcing a group of people to drive down to Palm Springs)he destroyed his arranger's(Was it Nelson Riddle?) most prized possesion: an irreplaceable portrait done by Norman Rockwell of the arranger. Frank tore it to pieces and told him if he tried to fix it he would have him beaten up. Later Frank appologized and gave him a gift. When asked why he tolerated this abuse, he stated that Sinatra was a great talent and did his arragements perfectly. "Basically, I'm a **** for my art." he said.

Only my humble opinion but I do believe that Sinatra had Bogart as a guide - after all, it was he who termed it the rat pack; & poor Lawford was a true talent but was torn in so many direction: The Kennedy's & Sinatra and his own career---

L

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I do not have the Westerns Channel. The local cable company does not carry it.

Thank you movieslover1000 that was good info. I figured it was licensed to someone that for some reason does not want to have it showed; or perhaps is asking an outrageous fee. As I remember it was a very funny movie and it looked like the Pack were really having fun making it.

Funny about Frank, I suppose you either love or hate the guy. Again, I am in the middle. I truly love his singing; his personal life......yea he was a jerk, but aren't we all at times.

Thanks again.

Mary Lou, I hold no brief for Lawford, but I brought this up to show how Sinatra used these movies as a club to keep the rest of the Rat Pack in line. I'm also aware that Bogie started the "Holmby Hills Rat Pack" and that Sinatra was a member and Lauren Bacall was the "Den Mother". Bogie never tried to dominate HIS Pack the way Sinatra did. Fortunately, I am able to completely seperate the man from his foibles and absoutely love his music and his movies. "The Joker is Wild" and "From Here to Eternity are among my favorite movies, mostly because of "Ol' Blue Eyes' " performances. :)

Slappy--I happened to be awake last night when "Never So Few" came on. I wasn't going to watch it because I'd watched it about a month ago and it was kind of boring (to me anyway). I didn't make it through it last night either (too sleepy); however, Robert made comments before the movie started (I've been up late before and this is the first time I can remember seeing Bob before a movie that was on this late). Anyway, he stated that Sammy Davis Jr. was supposed to play the Steve McQueen part but Frank and Sammy had a falling out and Frank got him removed from the picture, paving the way for McQueen to replace him. He was quite the stinker wasn't he. This movie came out in 1959, so apparently they made up because this is before he (Frank) dragged the Pack on the campaign trail for JFK. What do you suppose happened that he kicked Sammy off the picture? I saw the Rat Pack movie on HBO but I don't remember exactly that part.

Brack I don't know why Frank had Sammy banned, but it may have been the time Sammy said some mildly negative things about him in the press. He made Sammy CRAWL to get back in his good graces. Will check up and see if this was the instance.

Brack, why would I get mad at someone for expressing an honest opinion? I looked this up as promised. I remembered correctly. Sammy made some comments about Frank in "his town", Chicago, to a reporter. He said, "Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can step on people. Frank occasionally does this." Bad news embarressing Frank in front of the Chicago boys like "Momo" Giancana and Johnny Roselli. This is from Peter Lawford quoted in "His Way" by Kitty Kelly. Frank also reportedly refered to Sammy as "that n----r b-----d". So the part in "Never So Few" that was written so Sammy could be in the film was re-written for Steve MacQueen. Correction: While Nelson Riddle was one of Frank's arrangers, the one who's Norman Rockwell portrait was slashed and destroyed by Frank was Jimmy Van Heusen.