Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A fan of TCM's review of a childhood movie (Valley of Gwangi)

Mr. Chip's Movie Review "The Valley of Gwangi" (1969)

March 21, 2009

As I always say make sure movies are age and subject matter appropriate. With that on with my review. Not my all time favorite as Associated Content is asking for because I have far to many movies that I like past and present to just pick out one. But saying all that I still have fond memories of "The Valley of Gwangi" which came long before movies like "Jurassic Park" no knock on it. Now "The Valley of Gwangi" is rated (G) but I do not consider it say a Walt Disney epic or a movie you'd take your five year old to. But you must be the judge. Of course we have come lights in time with special FX thanks to the Internet. To me that is what gives this movie the persona that takes me back to my childhood of the "stop-motion" special effects by the great Ray Harryhausen. Now what is it about? A according to the VHS movie jacket on the back of the box. The movie is about a group of Cowboys and a Cowgirl that ride into this vally in Mexico that looks like time stood still. They are actually looking for Dinosaurs. And they find them. I guess what has grabbed mainly in most of the movie I watched in a childhood that was both in America and overseas, is the fact that the music soundtracks are so amazing. "The Valley of Gwangi does not disappoint. And just a great cast of characters: James Franciscus,,Gila Golan and Richard Carlson. Of course Associate producer and creator the the special effects that make the movie Ray HarryHausen. It's kind of funny now that I am almost lights years older than I was when I saw it. I always glean something from it in a historical context. Like when you see Gila on the Diving Horse as it jumps from a platform into a vat of water that actually has a ring of fire burning around it. Both the horse and the rider are safe and sound and a little wet. And don't want to give a lot of the movie away. Just go see it. Just bear in mind it was made in 1969. But is has action,romance and finance. And lots of back-in-the -day Dinosaurs. A fun romp for the family but parents watch it first to make it a enjoyable for all.