Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A fan of TCM's review of a childhood movie (Mary Poppins)

Mr. Chip's Review on Walt Disneys MARY POPPINS (1964)

January 28, 2009

(REAL Men Watch Mary Poppins)

Mary Poppins was made in 1964 it is a period piece set in 1910's London England (Wikipedia) it is based on a series of children's books written by P.L. Travers and illustrated by Mary Shepard. In a nutshell Traver's tale is about a mysterious, vain and acerbic English nanny,Mary Poppins. A airborne Mary Poppins via her umbrella is blown by the East wind to Number Seventeen Cherry Tree Lane, London into the Banks (David Tomlinson and Company) household to care for their children. What follows is a good fun musical with all kinds of comical and hilarious mishaps involving Mary Poppins (Dame Julie Andrews) and a chimney sweep named Bert (Dick Van Dyke). Of course you have the banks kids who play a large part of the movie with the songs we know and love if you are now my age or a little older. And perhaps maybe even the younger generation might appreciate what I deem as one of the longest words in the world and translated means "Atoning for educability through delicate beauty" (SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS) and Dame Edwards real life spouse in 1964 actually coined the reverse phrasing of the word but you'll have to read the wikipedia to see how it's written. Now popping along no pun intended. I must warn you at this point the movie which is ULTRA RATED (G) might have thematic elements which I never noticed and I have watched it a ton of times. But from one of my friends in cyber-space on a comment web site "SPARKY9292" wrote there is a part in the movie where Mary Poppins (Dame Julie Andrews) is show taking her medicine and says "Yum Rum Punch" I guess "Sparky9292" is implying that Mary Poppins has changed her medicine to whiskey or some other kind of alcohol. So use your judgment maybe watch the movie all the way and then formulate a way to explain the thematic elements. Secondly, from Sparky9292 when Bert and Mary Poppins are having a romantic moment not touching or anything and Bert sheepishly and slyly just insinuates "I'd do the nasty with you if I had the chance!" But like I said all things are subjective. So use your best judgment.

Overall, it's a really fun movie including all the music like when Bert (Dick Van Dyke) sings in a fair British accent "Step-In-Time" you and your kids will want to dance along. Or when Mary Poppins sings "A Spoon full of sugar" (come on admit it when you did not want to drink that nasty tasting medicine) or Chim Chim Cheree. The movie won 5 Oscars if thats your subjective measurement. This year is the 45th anniversary of its release. Now after all that go out and see the movie and send me your review I affirm on my own copy of MARY Poppins will answer all my yays or my nays which I hope I have none. Until my next review stay GROOVY and Blessed!!!