Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Neekokatt

Tear Jearkers still...

No matter how many times I see them, know the lines, prepare for an upcoming scene - these are my top three tear jearkers:

1 - Now, Voyager (the whole movie)

2 - Penny Serenade (especially when Grant is begging for his daughter back)

3 - Mrs. Miniver (it really touched me when news of Mr. Ballards death after winning the cup for the Miniver Rose - even thinking of it gets me) as many of our family, my father was just a lad during WWII in London and often wondered if it was the same for him

What are your top three hankie movies? (as my dad would say)

No particular order, all are pretty equal.

1. Francie finding the flowers from her father on her desk in *A Tree Grows in Brooklyn* .

2. Tie: Selma giving Elizabeth the cow to the Bjornsons in *Our Vines Have Tender Grapes* . And Flavia's "Everybody lies to me..." speech at her mother's bedside in *Tenth Avenue Angel* .

3. Homer's reunion with his family in *The Best Years of Our Lives* . Each of their facial expressions is etched in my brain.

Oh yes, Homer's homecoming scene gets me every time too. Also from Best Years, a scene which I find touching and tearful - Fred Derry's father, beautifully played by Roman Bohnen, reading Fred's commendation letter. The look on his face, I can picture it and it moves me now.

MAYTIME - 1937 - The lovers are finally reunited in death

GHOST AND MRS. MUIR - Lucia and Capt. Gregg are finally reunited

LASSIE, COME HOME - the scene when the elderly couple realize that their beloved dog

really isn't theirs atall...and the end scene with little Roddy and Lassie

ALL MINE TO GIVE - based on a true story..a young lad has to find homes for his siblings after the last of his parents die. The movie has this happening on Christmas Day...certainly a heart breaking time to make such momentous decisions (if it really happened that way)

RANDOM HARVEST - having to watch Greer Garson work for Ronald Colman, her very oh so business like employer..who doesn't remember her because he's regained his memory and forgotten about their previous life together...and the ending...have a box of Kleenex handy!

THE BLUE VEIL with Jane Wyman. a 4 hankie for sure. Haven't seen it in years though.

Wow, only 3?

Most movies make me cry. Here are the ones that cripple me with tears:

*Mr Smith Goes to Washington* ---yes, at the end, but what really makes me cry is when the kid is reading the Gettysburg Address and the black guy takes his hat off and cries.

*The Iron Giant* ---the climax kills me every time. "i'm superman!" So great!

*The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming* ---when the kid is hanging from the roof and all the guys band together to save him, then he's okay, it makes me cry!

*Also from Best Years, a scene which I find touching and tearful - Fred Derry's father, beautifully played by Roman Bohnen, reading Fred's commendation letter.* - Poinciana

Yeah, me too, but I could only pick one of the many from the movie. I also love when Homer shows Wilma his bedtime routine. The look in her eyes is unforgettable, as is the tear in his.

Definitely Best Years of Our Lives- the Homer bedroom scene

The dying scene and the very end of Wuthering Heights always makes me cry.

I always cry during the funeral scene in Imitation of Life.

The end of Breakfast at Tiffany's when she finds cat after kicking him out in the rain.

I always cry at several points during On Borrowed Time.

Did I mention I own stock in Kleenex LOL!

So many...isn't there. Not many new movies have and had the power the classics do. Best Years is a movie from the heart for sure. Of course tears are there from so many parts of the movie as everyone is noting their own. I will agree that the bedroom or "bedtime routine" when he was showing his girlfriend what he has to do with his arms and how helpless he could be without them...it got me thinking of two other movies -

Imitation of Life (1959) when Annie dies and then Sarah Jane runs to the funeral percession...not just tears there.

also - Yankee Doodle Dandy when his father dies and Cagney repeats ""My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you."

Still Penny Serande gets me everytime.

Geez - maybe TCM will have a Tearjeaker Event....

Oh, and add me to the list of people who cry all through *The Best Years of Our Lives*, but can't narrow it down to one moment. I'd like to mention one moment that always makes me cry: when Frederic March comes home and sees Myrna Loy, and she looks gorgeous as always, but she says, "I look terrible!" and they embrace. It's just too wonderful and so realistic--that's just how my mom would react. Their reactions are so wonderful that I cry along with them.

There is great article by Sidney Tumet with regards to The Best Years of our Lives and Billy Wilder, who I have learned so much of thanks to TCM and Robert Osborne. Looking into Best Years more online I found it was based on a book "Glory for Me" by MacKinlay Kantor. No way I could read it though, if it packs the same punch as the movie.

The last scene of *My Dog Skip*...I tear up just remembering it. Oh, and *Steel Magnolias"...nuff said.