Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Catwoman915

Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?

Now I know these two guys can dance and that their styles were very different. Just wondering if any of you out there have a favorite between these two and what the reasons might be.

The one thing they both have in common, neither is a killer actor. They do alright and can hold their own opposite the best of them, but they're no Spencer Tracey and they're not suppose to be, they're hoofers.

I guess if I HAD to pick one as my favorite, Fred. The way he wears his hat, the way he executes his dancing spree, the memory of all that, no, no you can't take that away from me. :-)

Because of Kelly's athleticism (besides the different dancing styles, I've always found Astaire a bit fey), I think he appeals to folks like me who're not particularly fans of musicals.

If you mean as dancers, they are apples and oranges. I don't think one is better than the other. As screen personalities, I'll take Astaire, every time. I don't like Gene Kelly.

Gene Kelly, all the way. While I admire Astaire's skills as a dancer, I never cared for him as much as Kelly.

Thanks Galaxy. It was interesting reading the old postings. Didn't realize I was treading over old stuff. Still looks like people are split.

Instead of Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire, I have to say Gene Kelly AND Fred Astaire.

They're both great, and top favorites of mine. The kind of all-around talents I just don't think we will ever see again.

I could not and would not choose one over the other.

I always felt like Astaire was dancing WITH his partner, while Kelly was dancing BESIDE his partner. I like them both, but admire Astaire more. (Maybe fueled by anticipation for the upcoming, beloved "Easter Parade".) Can I also mention kid brother Donald O'Connor? Some people will probably flinch, but I feel as if he belongs in the same category. He didn't have the same opportunities the other two did, and I'm willing to entertain the idea that it was because of a lesser level of talent, but, boy, could he sell a number.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Instead of Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire, I have to say Gene Kelly AND Fred Astaire.

> I could not and would not choose one over the other.

I like the way you put it, musicalnovelty! B-)

I agree about Donald O'Connor.

He is definitely up there among the best!

Excellent dancer, very pleasant and fun screen personality, and could handle dramatic roles, too (as of course, could Fred and Gene).

Donald O'Connor deserves a rediscovery and all the appreciation and praise he gets.

It's great that MGM gave him such a nice role in one of their best pictures in the 1950's, "Singin' in the Rain" but one reason I think Donald has been underappreciated over the years is that a lot of his best work was in hard to find Universal musicals (1942 to 1945 era). Not only are these pictures often unfairly dismissed as minor "B" efforts (which admittedly some were) but they are not often shown anywhere, certainly not on TV, so too many people have never given them a chance, let alone even seen them. Most of these Universal musical comedies are not only required viewing for O'Connor fans, but among the most entertaining fun movies ever. These films in which Donald costarred with other talents such as Peggy Ryan, Gloria Jean, Susanna Foster, Shirley Mills, etc. would be ideal for TCM. Perfect entertaining clean fun family entertainment.

Yes Donald was terrific. Nothing he couldn't do very well! We were lucky enough to see him in a touring company of Show Boat as Cap'n Andy. He brought the house down.

I prefer Fred over Gene. It's a subjective thing isn't it? Gene Nelson was one of my favs as a kid because I thought he was so cute! What did I know - well he danced well, sang passably well, and looked great. In all those movies with Gene, Doris, and Gordon, Gordon always got Doris and I always rooted for Gene.

Gene Kelly seemed to dance from the waist up, never mind all his running and leaping about. Fred, from the waist down. I can see Gene 'working' at it yet, Fred appeared to be a conduit for a dancing force that inhabited his being. Every move Fred made was 'dance'. As someone mentioned earlier, Gene gave me the impression he was dancing beside his partners, not with them, whereas Fred became one with almost all of his partners. Like a regular guy almost seamlessly segueing from scene to scene (the ones that aren't edited together). Now for acting, the only really serious movie roll I can recall Fred doing was Julian Osborne in On The Beach (1959). I thought he did very well there - also his TV roles. I don't actually prefer Gene over Fred in acting, but I do believe he's a better dramatic actor.

Forced to make a choice, I'll pick Fred Astaire. He's got the whole package and he makes it look so easy and fun.

As far as "serious" acting roles, does anyone remember Gene in "Marjorie Morningster"? YIKES!

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> Because of Kelly's athleticism (besides the different dancing styles, I've always found Astaire a bit fey), I think he appeals to folks like me who're not particularly fans of musicals.

Fey? I haven't heard that term in years. lol

Kid and Doug. You hit it on the button. As a dancer, the ability to partner and seem as if the duo are doing something as easy as boiling water...is magic. The equipoise, the symbiosis, the grace of both dancing if on air and staying in sync...is a dimension to the art that Fred (even solo) possessed.

Gene wasn't chopped liver...but I also agree that he was instrumental with mixing athleticism and dance...a form of gymnastics perhaps.

Hello.

Marjorie Morningstar was a so bad it was good. lol I think The Pirate was far worse but I could watch that again and make it through. lol If you never seen Gene in Inherit the Wind you may want to take a look. He did pretty good in a dramatic role, and I think he had his finer moments in Cover Girl . Let's face it, neither he or Fred were Academy Award winning performers, but it doesn't make you love them or their movies and less, does it? :-)

I pick Astaire, the man had more class, and you couldn't take your eyes from

him, whereas Kelly looked like he danced the same steps over and over and

used that awful grin too much...

It was nice to see Gene Nelson dance in last Sundays screening of "Starlift". For whatever reason I haven't caught that many of his films. As for Astaire and Kelly the hoofers I have to go with Fred, so smooth and he was great solo or with a partner. It's harder to choose one over the other as an actor but I'd lean toward Kelly on that score.

Fred no doubt. His technique is more complex, more finesse, Kelly is more physical, more like a gymnast. Astaire is much more elegant and suave, which fits the genre he represents. Fred is a better actor, Kelly is stiff and "golly gee",like a male Doris Day. Astaire's role in "It takes a Thief" , shows his range and adaptability. Astaire all the way!

Well, I love them both. And I'll add Donald O'Connor in that group too.

The only distraction for me is their physiques...and face it, when we watch dancers, we're looking at their bodies. (even my DOG watches TV when Astaire's dancing)

I really dislike Fred's skinny body. He looks like he just left a concentration camp. It does not add to him appearing "light" on his feet, only frail.

Kelly's hunky athletic body is a joy to watch, especially since he preferred tight trousers that excentuate his shapely glutes & thighs. (Shapely's the name cuz that's how I like 'em)

In the same vein, I think Cyd Charisse and Ann Miller have smooth gorgeous strong looking legs which add visually to their performance. Both Ginger Rodgers and Vera Ellen are adorable, but more "bouncy" and "light" looking.