Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bulldogcafe1

What have you Bought/Taped Lately?

Recently I bought the double feature DVD of 'Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde'. It has the 1932 (I think) version with Fredric March at his creepiest and the later Spencer Tracy version. Very interesting to compare the pre-code to the milder Tracy version. And the March version has scenes that have been deleted in most copies.

Karen

Execllent dvd...March is great...Waiting right now to receive: Loretta and cary Grant's Born to be bad; Corinne griffiths' Garden of Eden and Grant's "Signature Collection"....Also Bought Dark Passage and Dead Reckoning!!!

RE: "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" - There have been almost a dozen movies made with this same title, and almost double that number again with similar titles (if you count foreign and TV)! Two I saw recenlty were the 1931 version for which Fredric March won his first Best Actor Oscar (actually, he shared it with Wallace Beery, "The Champ") & the 1941 version starring Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, and Lana Turner (directed by Victor Fleming). Neither film is particularly great, IMO, though I found it interesting that the pronunciation of Jekyll was "jeek ill" (by Miriam Hopkins et al) in the first one and (the more familiar?) "jeck ull" in the second one. I don't think I've seen any of the other versions except, maybe, the one with Abbott & Costello (though I do remember a certain Bugs Bunny cartoon;- )

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, ZIEGFELD GIRL, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, CALL ME MADAM and SNAKE PIT. So many wonderful films coming up on DVD. I will buy the Cary Grant collection.

DVD's that I picked up were not classics, but we enjoy them: Return of the King, Uncle Buck (finally found a widesceern version), and Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Tape: Now Voyager, The Chosen, and Vision Quest (a guilty pleasure)

I bought "Ferris Bueller" too - I love that movie. Two others I recently bought on DVD were "Grapes of Wrath" and "The Hustler" both for $8.67 each on deepdiscountdvd.com - a great resource. I also bought the Cary Grant collection through them, but I haven't received it yet. And on ebay I just found a DVD with two Little Rascal shorts along with the "Little Rascal Varieties" on it, and Laurel and Hardy's "Big Business" - can't wait to see that one - I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

bggalaxy, I love UNCLE BUCK! John Candy's best role. Well, actually maybe it's a tie between Buck and Del Griffith from PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES.

One of my favorite scenes in UNCLE BUCK is the birthday breakfast that Buck cooks for his nephew (Macaulay Culkin) with a pancake so big that it has be flipped with a snow shovel instead of a spatula! Cracks me up every time!

Sandy K

recently bought: REBECCA (hitchock version REBECCA (masterpeice theatre version, Hichtcock version better) THE GREAT ESCAPE

taped: NOTORIOUS, SUPSISION, and TARZAN AND HIS MATE

Sandy - ditto on the pancake scene. I sure do miss his stuff (Candy). My wife and I have been searching for Uncle Buck in widescreen for a long time. Best Buys had a two for 15.00 sale and there it was - a widescreen version - I was so happy :) (it doesn't take much). The other favorite Candy films:

Plane, Trains and Automobiles

Summer Rental

Only the Lonely - I know - it's a guilty pleasure with

O'Hara and Quinn

Cool Running

Brewster's Million

I don't mean to brag (that's really not my intention) but the dvds I've picked up recentlly is...All four of the new Walt Disney Treasures tins! Also picked up MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS about a month ago.

Both versions of Gaslight. They are both wonderful. I do however think that the original is the better of the two. No big name stars, but the story is tighter and more suspenseful.

I'm taking particular joy in my recent purchase of the "Monster Legacy Set" from DeepDiscountDVD. It's a DVD collection of 14 of Universal's Frankenstein, Dracula, and Werewolf movies. The set has beautiful (though not quite flawless) transfers and a bunch of fun extras.

I haven't literally "taped" anything since I got my Panasonic DVD recorder last August, but I've burned over 700 DVDs since then--mostly off TCM, of course.

- Clark

Ladymirabelle...I've also heard that the original british 1939 version of "Gaslight" aka "Angel Street" aka "The Murder in Thornton Square", is the best, 'cos altough it hasn't the glossy MGM treatment of the Bergman version...it's much more suspenseful and better-well done...so I'm eager to watch it...and it has Anton Walbrook in it (A wink M.L.:)

I think it's pretty much the same with Fredric March's 1931 Paramount version of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", compared with the 1941 film, produced by MGM with Spencer Tracy....I've also read that John Barrymore's 1920 silent version of the tale is very good too!

Yes, LadyM, and Fedo ;)...I have also taped both versions of "Gaslight" back to back on the same tape...and the Anton Walbrook version remains my favorite. He may not have been real big in this country, but he was in Europe, and I have a large collection of his movies.

Just last night I taped "The Night of the Iguana" (1964)...very good cast....because when I saw it in the theatre I was too immature to really understand everything that was going on. Seeing it again now, it makes a lot more sense, and the characters and acting were really something! Later today I'll tape "Papillon", another "must have" for your personal library. ML

The classic films on DVD I've bought the past weekend and this week are Around the World in 80 Days, Auntie Mame, The Best Years of Our Lives, National Velvet, The Sting, The Thin Man, The Towering Inferno, Desk Set, A Night at the Opera, A Night in Casablanca, To Catch A Thief

Born to Be Bad, Niagara, How to Marry A Millionaire, The Misfits, Wait Until Dark, Grand Hotel and It.

I've found a lot of sales :)

I bought VHS tapes of the movies Bill of divorcement.

Morning Glory, Stage Door, must haves in my library.

Lately when i've bought a DVD when itry to take them out of their sleeve they break in half!.........

Has anyone else had this problem its why i've went back to VHS when possible.....

taped a lot of Carey Grant this week. I am in the process

of taping Papillon right now. And ready to watch Chaplin for the first time.

Eddie

M.L. I did see "Papillon" once....excellent movie, overwhelming, downbeat, but great! MCQueen and Hoffman are top of the tops here!

And Lolite..thank God it hasn't happened to me (yet)...but sometimes, some DVD cases are so badly manufactured, that If I hadn't been extremely careful...the disc may have been broken!

"The Molly Maguires" An excellent movie on the old Pennsylvania Coal Mines just after the turn of the century. (1900's). Richard Harris and Sean Connery's performances are tops! Connery proves that he is not typecast as "007!" Richard Harris plays a good undercover investigator. Just a perfect flick!

My most recent purchase is The 1939 version of Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, a 2 disc DVD set that i adore.

Ma and Pa Kettle's vol 1 and a flip DVD of House of wax/Mystery of the wax museum. Nothing beats Vincent Price's version!

Well, I have to admit that besides what I posted below, I'm a compulsive buyer (no rich guy at all),,,but I use almost all my money for satifying my need of classicmovies and movies from today which I want to see or have, I've bought & obtained lately (hope my wife doesn't read this thread (chuckles):

VHS: Garbo's "Anna Karenina", "Anthony Adverse", "The Last Command", "The Docks of New York"

DVD: "For Whom The Bells Toll", "Children of Dune", "The Third Man", "The Comedy of Terrors/The Raven", "Mildred Pierce", "A Place in the Sun", "Kim" (gift), "The Mark of Zorro", "Come and Get It", "All Quiet on the western front" (1930), "Sunset Boulevard", "To Have and Have Not" (gift), "Sunrise" (promotion Fox gift), "Bell, Book & Candle" (gift), "Frida" (gift), "Great Expectations", "Modern Times", "Great Dictator", "Mutiny on the Bounty", "The Robe", "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "They Drive By Night", "High Sierra", "Blockade", "Stand-in", "The King and I", "Much ado about Anything" (Kenneth Branagh), "The Banger Sisters", "Down with Love", "Lady Jane", "Imitation of Life" (both versions) (gift), "People will talk", "Shadowlands", "The Vikings", "Grand Hotel", "The Great Ziegfeld", "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (both verions), "Little Women" (1933), "Nothing Sacred", "Topper", "Topper Returns", "Destry Rides Again", "You'll Never get rich", "I was a male war bride", "Pillow Talk", "Operation Petticoat", "Yours, Mine and Ours", "The Triumph of Love" (2001), "Titus", "Sliding Doors", "Women on the verge of nervous breakdown", "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!", "All about my mother", "Gosford Park", "Moulin Rouge", "A Pefect World" (Clint eastwood's), "Brief Encounter"....and many music DVDs (Pat Benatar, Dead or aLive, Alison Moyet, Mylene Farmer, Harry Connick Jr., Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Simple Minds,...)...I have to note that some of the titles i Bough it at excellent prices on sale (in my country) and at some very chep ones at Target store...

Hey there, you merry little "compulsive buyer" you! Tell me what you think of the score(mostly the Theme) in "Demetrius and the Gladiators". When this movie was first released, I totally fell in love with the score and went to our local music store and sat in a private "listening room" with a salesman and listened to it....all of it. I was in 7th. grade at the time, and it always amazed me that this man would do such a nice thing for a kid who clearly couldn't afford to buy the LP at the time.

You know how I love music from the movies, and the score for "The Vikings" is also high on my list. ;)ML

I still haven't had the time to watch "Demetrius...", it's in line waiting...but as far as I remember when I saw it...I liked the music score tremendoulsy....as for "The Vikings" which I've watched already....its cinematography and its score is really gorgeous....words aren't enough to praise them...those two "items" or "aspects" of the film, are the ones that most overwhelmed me ...it's excellently done, with much detail (wardrobe, the ships, the viking village, etc)...a documentary featuring Richard Fleischer comes as a bonus, great!!!,,,For this great DVD I only paid 9.99 plus tax in a Target store...as for Demetrius I paid almost the same here in my country...really cheap, considering its worth as films (at least for me) :)