Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bulldogcafe1

What have you Bought/Taped Lately?

The 4 cd set containing 4 of the Japanese StarMan movies and 4 various versions of spaghetti Hercules movies. Includes alot of trailers and 2 Prince Planet cartoons!

Just in the last couple of weeks I bought on dvd: The Dracula Legacy set, The Frankenstein Lagacy Set, Best of Abbott and Costello Vol 2, LOTR #3, Last Samurai, Love Actually, MR Roberts, Cool Hand Luke, Cat on a Hot TIn Roof, THe Man who would be King, The Cary Grant Collection with Mr Blandings Builds his Dreamhouse, My Favorite Wifw, Night and Day, Destination Tokyo, and The Bachelor and the Bobby soxer.

My first post. Hello all!

I've taped quite a few movies on TCM recently, mostly films that have no DVD or VHS:

A Face in the Crowd

The Scarlet Letter (silent with Lillian Gish)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

He Who Gets Slapped (w/ Lon Chaney)

The Unholy Three (w/ Lon Chaney)

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (dir. Fritz Lang)

The Smiling Lieutenant (dir. Ernest Lubitsch)

The Portrait of Jenny (hard to find on DVD)

I also recorded a few Indian films from their "Bollywood Festival" last year.

A lot of them were late-night recordings. Fortunately, TCM always seem to stick to the schedules.

And I hope its schedules would also include those time-filling featurettes, which are often rare, vintage short films that have no hope of ever being on home video.

Unless a celebrity died. In that case, TCM sometimes makes last minute changes to show films made by that celebrity.

Today in the mail I recieved The Cary Grant Signature Collection (finally!) Cary Grant DVD Collection (includes

Father Goose, The Grass Is Greener, Indiscreet, Operation Petticoat and That Touch of Mink) The Amazing Adventure, His Girl Friday, Strictly Ballroom, Targets and The Lair of the White Worm

FIRST TIMER HERE

WALKABOUT

WAKE ISLAND

BATAAN

RECENT TCM TAPINGS

THE SMILING GHOST

THREE SON'S O'GUNS

AND QUITE A FEW OTHERS

SIM SOLLAH BIM

STEVE

Well the house ate the dvd set I bought that had some Chaplin and Buster Keaton on it. The dvd player went on the fritz which made my child regret showing me how to use the Playstation. However, they got the last laugh since the Playstation says disc read error at times when I watch a movie. So frustarating since I got my drink, got the popcorn and I trekked upstairs{not to mention my child penciling me} and dang it if my other child's movies Bruce Almighty and School of Rock works just fine-wouldn't you know. I bought Private Benjamin some stuff related to Elvis-not one of his movies. I haven't bought anything real recently but when I do I feel like I'm holding a treasure. Oh, remember buying Psycho on VHS what a ride once was enough for me for awhile on this movie. My dream buy would be a collection of Oscar telecasts over 70 years worth for about 70.00 or 80.00 it would be mine-alas it has to wait.

Have to tell you all about my two of my treasures from a catalog I purchased the concert footage shot when Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland were in concert together at the Palladium in London. Watched it over and over and then the tape broke. Then there was the day I was at the Dollar General and I thought since I scoured the book titles I'll look at the tapes. There it was-20 years of the oscar telecasts clips from these shows for 8 dollars it was mine. Karl Malden is the host and the company that makes the Kit-Kat wafer bars sponsered it. As a matter of fact, there was a coupon for a free Kit-Kat inside pretty remarkable since the video came out in 1990. The coupon had no expiration date so we redeemed it and I watched Excitely highlights from oscar telecasts from 1970-1990. IT shows all the lead actor winners and best pictures,what they thought was highlights from performing of songs and funny sketches. It also gives insight to the controversies like when Brando doesn't come himself for his oscar for the Godfather or Dustin Hoffman's problem with competing with other actors etc. It was so nice to see stars like Barbara Stanwyk, Willian Holden, Lemmon, Matthau, Helen Hayes, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and many more. It made me laugh, I cried and I thought I was so lucky to find it.

Purchased....

"I Will Fight No More Forever." A true accounting of the last Indian War. (If you don't count Alcatraz and Wounded Knee!) It is about Chief Josephs of the Nez Perce Tribe, who eludes the calvary for months after being told his tribe would be put on a reservation.

Don't want to tell too much about it. It is worth purchasing or taping or discing(!!!!).

gwtwbooklover--how lucky for you to find that Oscar highlight video. Too bad it didn't have any pre 1970 footage. I remember watching the Oscars from a very young age. Boy, was my mom shocked when Barbara Streisand came out to accept her Oscar for Funny Girl in a see through pajama-type outfit. One of the first times I ever heard her say a cuss word. Funny what you can find at the Dollar General if you're willing to look around for a while. My local DG is always so messy I can't wait to get out of there. :(

Yesterday I picked up Adam's Rib, For Me and My Gal, On the Town, The Pajama Game, Pat and Mike, The President's Analyst, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Shop Around the Corner and A Star is Born.

Taped:

One for the Book (as part of the Ronald Reagan tribute, so cute)

A Stolen Life

Do You Love Me? (Fox Movie Channel)

The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker (also FMC)

Bunny Lake is Missing (really great)

Blue Denim (FMC)

Bought: last ones would probably be two John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara ones:

The Quiet Man and McLintock!

Finally, I got the widescreen DVD of The Blue Max! And it came with 12 O'Clock High! I loved The Blue Max since I saw it on network TV many years ago as a kid. Now to see it in widescreen! I'm in heaven . . .

I've taped Deception, Mr Skeffington, Every Girl Should Be Married, Wild River, The Sea Hawk and The Adventures of Robin Hood.

I recently bought A Touch of Evil, and a Cary Grant 2 Pack which included His Girl Friday and Penney Serenade.

Well, as I said elsewhere, I recently jumped on an offer to get a free DVD player with a purchase of 10 DVDs from Critic's Choice Video & DVD. I had bought CITIZEN KANE on DVD a few months ago in anticipation of the event, and the 10 I just got are:

42ND STREET

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD

SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT

BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940

THE MALTESE FALCON

THE BIG SLEEP

MISTER ROBERTS

BEN-HUR (1959)

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

THE MUSIC MAN

One thing I forgot to mention earlier (ML's going to love this): I checked the mail this morning, and I just got THE JOLSON STORY and JOLSON SINGS AGAIN from Columbia House! Now I'm really going to be unbearable . . .

Coffeedan congrats to you on your purchase of the DVD and those fabulous movies.

I have the two Jolson movies and you will love the color in these films plus the stunning performance of Larry Parks as well as the rest of the cast.

Mongo

Picked up these recently:

SEVEN SAMURAI

THE HIDDEN FORTRESS

YOJIMBO

SANJURO

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

BUBBA HO-TEP

DARK PASSAGE

THE BIG SLEEP

KEY LARGO

THE LAST SAMURAI

SHAOLIN CHALLENGES NINJA

7 STAR GRAND MANTIS

THE FRANKENSTEIN DVD BOX SET

THE DRACULA DVD BOX SET

WHEW!!! I buy a bunch of movies on a monthly basis.

Just this past weekend,

"Adventures of Robin Hood"

"Treasure of the Sierra madre"

"Yankee Doodle Dandy"

"Rashomon"

"Magnificent Seven"

"Hang'em High"

"Fistful of Dollars"

Charlie CHaplin box set with 31 shorts

"The Shiek" and "Son of the Shiek'

"Four Rooms" and

"The Ghost and the Darkness"