Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What have you Bought/Taped Lately?

On DVD today I recieved Brigadoon (Gene Kelly) You Were Never Lovlier (Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth) and The Long Good Friday Criterion (Bob Hoskins) all on DVD.

Tonight I'm taping Walk, Don't Run, Dream Wife and Mr. Lucky (if I can stay up that late!)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...I bet that's true...of the three i only have never seen "The Circus"...and besides, each edition brings two discs, with lots of bonuses...will be fun watching those!!! Already had bought Modern Times, Gold Rush and the Great Dictator, some time ago...

I just taped "Wipsaw", a little known crime drama with Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy (I'm a fan of Myrna Loy and I had never heard of this movie). It was actually very delightful. Also I just taped "Railroaded" a B film that was also good. I love this Crime Wave marathon TCM is putting on!

Wow!! lucky guy!! "Whipsaw" is a film I'd love to see...It's like obtaining Myrna and Cary's first collaboration together, the 1935 Paramount "Wings in the Dark"....vintage stuff!!

Just got the Fox Studio Classics Best Picture collection, comprised of ALL ABOUT EVE, GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, and SUNRISE. Can't say a lot about it now, because I've been practically living with the SUNRISE disc this past weekend. Beautiful restoration of the film (a marked improvement over the print TCM showed five years ago), plus a lot of extras -- including two different music scores, outtakes, a reconstruction essay on F. W. Murnau's lost film FOUR DEVILS, and more! This disc alone is worth the price of the set, which I got for only $25.72 at Overstock.com. (That's a cheaper price than both Amazon.com and deepdiscountdvd.com!)

And for only $4 more, I got a prety good Hitchcock double feature of YOUNG AND INNOCENT and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. Not great -- I could see moving video lines in Y&I -- but not bad for the price. The print of THE MAN WHO KNEW is better than the one I taped off AMC in 2000.