Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy SWEETHEARTS on TCM APR 28

SWEETHEARTS, the first Technicolor musical that the Mac/Eddy team starred in, is scheduled on TCM for APRIL 28. Check your local listings.

SWEETHEARTS

Jeanette in a shot from the Fashion Show sequence

Gorgeous pix, Armand Duval!

Oh My God!!!!!!!! You haven't seen ALL of them! How I envy you. Do you have some great viewing in store! They only made 8 films (2 in Technicolor) and I'm sure you'll find something to like in each.

MAYTIME seems to be the general public favorite, followed closely by ROSE MARIE.

SWEETHEARTS was their first "modern" dress movie and is a Technicolor knockout.

BITTERSWEET is the other color film - based on the Noel Coward play. He hated the film with a passion (and of course, Hollywood changed it around a bit).

NEW MOON is their most sumptuous costume film (after MAYTIME) and has some glorious music (Sigmund Romberg)

I MARRIED AN ANGEL, their last, is not popular with most MacEddy fans (but not me, for it introduced them to me when I was 12)..but Nelson is so debonair and Jeanette is radiant as the titular heavenly visitor.

You're welcome. SWEETHEARTS is quite a departure (but a pleasant one!) from the MacEddy operetta films. Great music by Victor Herbert and a fun supporting cast including FRANK MORGAN, MISCHA AUER, HERMAN BING, FLORENCE RICE..and the color is out of this world.

• 3 weeks later...

SWEETHEARTS (MGM 1938) in Technicolor is on TCM USA tonight. Check your local listings!

Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy star in this tuneful modern day dress musical with music by Victor Herbert.

Cast also includes: Frank Morgan, Mischa Auer, Herman Bing, Florence Rice, Gene Lockhart, Kathleen Lockhart, Reginald Gardner, George Barbier and a host of others. Out of this world color (MGM's first Technicolor film). Not on DVD, so fire up your Recorder or VHS machine.