Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does Anyone Remember the Casablanca TV Show?

sewhite2000

Between April and September of 1983, NBC aired five episodes of a Casablanca TV show with David Soul as Rick, Hector Elizondo as Louis, Ray Liotta as Sacha and Scatman Crothers as Sam! It was supposed to be set before the events of the movie started, but its continuity didn't precisely jibe with the movie as Rick has already met Strasser and Heinz in the series, and they're recurring characters. It appears to have been a summer try-out show that didn't get picked up for a full season. It averaged 91st in the Nielsen ratings over its five episodes.

Did anyone watch this?

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Between April and September of 1983, NBC aired five episodes of a Casablanca TV show with David Soul as Rick, Hector Elizondo as Louis, Ray Liotta as Sacha and Scatman Crothers as Sam! It was supposed to be set before the events of the movie started, but its continuity didn't precisely jibe with the movie as Rick has already met Strasser and Heinz in the series, and they're recurring characters. It appears to have been a summer try-out show that didn't get picked up for a full season. It averaged 91st in the Nielsen ratings over its five episodes.

Did anyone watch this?

Thought it was just a TV-movie pilot, didn't remember it getting episodes--

Still, why are you asking if we "remember" it, when we have YouTube?:  B)

Now, if only Fox would release the rest of Yul Brynner's 70's "Anna & the King" show, of which they only put the pilot on the "King & I" disk.

• Like 1

Hell, I never saw it, or recall ever seeing it being ADVERTISED by NBC and just by the quick rundown in the OP, it would have been doubtful that I would have bothered tuning in.  But, in '83 our region was still new to cable, so I was probably spending a lot of my "tube time" on that.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Are we forgetting that there was a TV version of "Casablanca" that aired on ABC during the 1955-1956 season? It didn't last long, either.

It starred Charles McGraw as a more genial version of Rick. Interestingly, Marcel Dalio, the French actor who played Emil the croupier in the 1942 film version of "Casablanca," co-starred  as Captain Louis Renault.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jakeem said:

Are we forgetting that there was a TV version of "Casablanca" that aired on ABC during the 1955-1956 season? It didn't last long, either.

It starred Charles McGraw as a more genial version of Rick. Interestingly, Marcel Dalio, the French actor who played Emil the croupier in the 1942 film version of "Casablanca," co-starred  as Captain Louis Renault.

There is an episode of this - uncertain if it was the only episode ever - included as a bonus extra on a now quite-old Casablanca DVD maybe a 60th anniversary disc from 2003, which I used to own. I also meant to mention it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings