Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under Lionel Atwill

Janet0312

Where in the Sam Hill are Man Made Monster, Son of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman??? Oh, I know. In the vault. Maybe we ought to storm Universal carrying clubs, cranberry rakes and torches (somebody get a rope!) and demand they open that vault.

In regards to The Murder Man currently airing at this time, is it me or is a shooting gallery in the heart of downtown seem a wee bit dangerous?

Svengoolie probably has the rights! LOL. I'm recording 3 of them from today. Hope to watch them this wknd to make room for Audrey Totter day on Monday. Murder Man is one I'm recording, so dont spoil the plot!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Svengoolie probably has the rights! LOL. I'm recording 3 of them from today. Hope to watch them this wknd to make room for Audrey Totter day on Monday. Murder Man is one I'm recording, so dont spoil the plot!

I won't! But I sure would like an opinion about that shooting gallery downtown.

Summer UNDER Lionel Atwill?  :o

No THANKS.  Not even if I was MRS. ATWILL!  :blink:

Sepiatone

BTW.... As for THE MURDER MAN, there IS a short scene in there( but this wouldn't be a "spoiler", so don't worry) in which a young lady at the newspaper runs in that not only(to me) LOOKS like GRACIE ALLEN, but SOUNDS like her too!  But any of the research about this I do, all I can come up with is that she was probably an actress named JEANIE ROBERTS, whom iDBM lists as "uncredited" in their summary.

And yeah, the "storefront" shooting gallery had me do a "double-take" too.  ;)

LOVE you Lionel!

THANKS tcm for having a festival!

Yes, there were some scandals. But how can there be classic horror/mystery films without this man?

Love especially >

FOG ISLAND

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON

CHARLIE CHAN IN PANAMA

CHARLIE CHAN'S MURDER CRUISE

MR. MOTO TAKES A VACATION

HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES

SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, Janet0312 said:

Where in the Sam Hill are Man Made Monster, Son of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman??? Oh, I know. In the vault. Maybe we ought to storm Universal carrying clubs, cranberry rakes and torches (somebody get a rope!) and demand they open that vault.

In regards to The Murder Man currently airing at this time, is it me or is a shooting gallery in the heart of downtown seem a wee bit dangerous?

It would be a more effective onslaught, Janet if you got the Burgomeister to lead your pack of folks with burning torches.

14 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Don't forget THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX and THE MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET! The latter is a real penny dreadful with a show-sinking performance by Nat Pendleton.

Love that Nat Pendleton. Ya know, he was a lot smarter than he looked!

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Summer UNDER Lionel Atwill?  :o

No THANKS.  Not even if I was MRS. ATWILL!  :blink:

Sepiatone

BTW.... As for THE MURDER MAN, there IS a short scene in there( but this wouldn't be a "spoiler", so don't worry) in which a young lady at the newspaper runs in that not only(to me) LOOKS like GRACIE ALLEN, but SOUNDS like her too!  But any of the research about this I do, all I can come up with is that she was probably an actress named JEANIE ROBERTS, whom iDBM lists as "uncredited" in their summary.

And yeah, the "storefront" shooting gallery had me do a "double-take" too.  ;)

Unless you have some rather outre fetishes, I don't think you could qualify as Atwill's wife, even if you came back as a woman, Sepia.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

It would be a more effective onslaught, Janet if you got the Burgomeister to lead your pack of folks with burning torches.

Wicked Lionel is soooo cute as the Mayor, politician, phoney guy- whatever... He carries it off well with Ms. Frankenstein tho. 

• Like 1

Lionel does have an unearthly magnetic appeal, I will admit, Janet.

My favorite of his sinisterly appealing roles is in "Murders in the Zoo". I looked for it for a long time and finally found it on dvd. What a thrill to see him being so dastardly and diabolical! By the way, have I mentioned I absolutely love your Universal artwork, since their different style openings have always been so wonderful. I love the one with the little plane flying around the globe also.

• Like 1

Just now, CaveGirl said:

My favorite of his sinisterly appealing roles is in "Murders in the Zoo". I looked for it for a long time and finally found it on dvd. What a thrill to see him being so dastardly and diabolical!

I wonder if there is a bio on him?

1 minute ago, CaveGirl said:

My favorite of his sinisterly appealing roles is in "Murders in the Zoo". I looked for it for a long time and finally found it on dvd. What a thrill to see him being so dastardly and diabolical!

I ordered Ghost and Son on DVD yesterday. Lionel is so much fun in these films. 

• Like 2

I don't know if I would totally believe all that is in "Hollywood Babylon" [although it might be right on the money] but there is an interesting take on his life in that tome. Have you read it? I think it is in the original, although I also own the sequel.

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I don't know if I would totally believe all that is in "Hollywood Babylon" [although it might be right on the money] but there is an interesting take on his life in that tome. Have you read it? I think it is in the original, although I also own the sequel.

Is there a book on L Atwill???

9 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I quite enjoy GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN very much as well.

I also like Lionel's work in MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. And he turns in quite an exceptional, if rather unsympathetic, turn as the master of the slave colony that poor Errol Flynn finds himself condemned to in CAPTAIN BLOOD.

So glad he got his due this year.

Lionel Atwill in "Murders in the Zoo"-- I think it's one of his Premier performances.

And I almost bought the DVD but I'm squeamish about this movie - - but I'm sure nobody else is and it's a good Universal thrill with two promising young performers - - Randolph Scott and Gail Patrick.

10 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

My favorite of his sinisterly appealing roles is in "Murders in the Zoo". I looked for it for a long time and finally found it on dvd. What a thrill to see him being so dastardly and diabolical! By the way, have I mentioned I absolutely love your Universal artwork, since their different style openings have always been so wonderful. I love the one with the little plane flying around the globe also.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I have those two movies and all of the Frankenstein Universal movies, including Abbott and Costello + House of Dracula on a DVD Universal compilation called" Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection".  

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lionel Atwill in "Murders in the Zoo"-- I think it's one of his Premier performances.

And I almost bought the DVD but I'm squeamish about this movie - - but I'm sure nobody else is and it's a good Universal thrill with two promising young performers - - Randolph Scott and Gail Patrick.

TCM had that one on a few years ago. I still have the recording with Robert Osborne doing the intro if I recall correctly. Isn't it weird seeing Randolph Scott when he was just starting out,  in modern dress roles?  I could say the same of Gary Cooper. The strangest thing he ever did was when he played a gangster in  1931's "City Streets".

18 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I believe I have that book. Must check it out.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings