Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Brighton Rock (1948)

This film is fantastic. Almost a mastepiece.  I've been digging into the British Noirs and this is at the top of that genre.   The plot is simple.  A local gangster is knocked off shortly after a newspaper article is published exposing local gang activity.  Reporter Fred Hale ( Alan Wheatley) who wrote the story will appear in Brighton for one day to promote the story.  Gang leader Pinkie Brown ( Richard Attenborough) learns of this appearance and sets out to have him bumped off.  After chasing Hale with his gang members he catches him at a amusement park and offs him.   The problem is Hale had befriended a local aspiring singer at a pub named Ida Arnold ( Hermione Baddeley) who took a liking to him and tried to find him after he left the pub.   She sensed that something was wrong and got a strong suspicion that Pinkie had offed Hale.   The plot takes off from there.  

Most of the film was shot on location in Brighton and its just gorgeous.  The director filmed the iconic chase scene through Brighton with hidden cameras so that he could catch the local residents acting naturally.  It worked perfectly.  One of the gangs in the film ( Colleoni) was modeled after a real life gang called the Sabini.  One of those gang members became a technical advisor to the film and taught Attenborough how to be Pinkie.  The film was met with resistance in England because of the gang violence.  In the United States the film was embraced.  It was renamed Young Scarface for viewing in the States.

Pinkie has joined the top tier of my Noir villian list. The director put overt examples of narcissism into his character.  Attenborough did a fantastic job here.  I rate this a solid 9 out of 10...

20b0k7c.jpg

2qa5k7a.jpg

jfhxqv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes I love this film too. Richard Attenborough is fantastic. 

A disclaimer. I know most of these films i review are most likely already in the TCM threads. The problem is its hard to find them doing a search. So forgive me if i post reviews of films that have already been reviewed. I will just put my spin on them.  

Back to Brighton Rock. Yes, its a great film.  I read that Attenborugh played Pinkie on stage. Didn't he do a earlier film portraying that character?

11 minutes ago, Moorman said:

A disclaimer. I know most of these films i review are most likely already in the TCM threads. The problem is its hard to find them doing a search. So forgive me if i post reviews of films that have already been reviewed. I will just put my spin on them.  

Back to Brighton Rock. Yes, its a great film.  I read that Attenborugh played Pinkie on stage. Didn't he do a earlier film portraying that character?

I don't think there was a previous thread on BRIGHTON ROCK. And even if there was, who cares. It's a great film worth "advertising." 

This was the only time he played Pinkie on film. Another good one is JET STORM (1959) where he's a lunatic who gets on the same plane as a man he blames for the death of his wife and child. He has hidden a bomb under the wing of the plane which is set to go off before the aircraft lands. Very suspenseful. He really captures the pathos of a man who has nothing left to live for, except revenge.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think there was a previous thread on BRIGHTON ROCK. And even if there was, who cares. It's a great film worth "advertising." 

This was the only time he played Pinkie on film. Another good one is JET STORM (1959) where he's a lunatic who gets on the same plane as a man he blames for the death of his wife and child. He has hidden a bomb under the wing of the plane which is set to go off before the aircraft lands. Very suspenseful. He really captures the pathos of a man who has nothing left to live for, except revenge.

I'm going through a list of his top movies right now.  I saw Jet Storm on that list.  I found some promising looking movies on that list.  

38 minutes ago, Moorman said:

I'm going through a list of his top movies right now.  I saw Jet Storm on that list.  I found some promising looking movies on that list.  

He deserves to be Star of the Month on TCM, he's that good. Or at the very least, a day next August.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Moorman said:

Your reviews are solid and I enjoy them so no disclaimer was necessary.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He deserves to be Star of the Month on TCM, he's that good. Or at the very least, a day next August.

10 Rillington Place and Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Have you screened either?

4 minutes ago, Moorman said:

10 Rillington Place and Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Have you screened either?

Yes, love them. Part of the reason why I think he deserves a tribute.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, love them. Part of the reason why I think he deserves a tribute.

They are both on Amazon in DVD or Blu Ray format. I found a streaming version of 10 Rillington Place. I'm gonna screen it.  Thanx...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moorman said:

They are both on Amazon in DVD or Blu Ray format. I found a streaming version of 10 Rillington Place. I'm gonna screen it.  Thanx...

Let us know what you think of it when you watch it.

50 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Let us know what you think of it when you watch it.

Ok. I will do that...

These Richard Attenborough films are currently available for streaming on FilmStruck:

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 6.55.48 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

These Richard Attenborough films are currently available for streaming on FilmStruck:

Ive never heard of Filmstruck.  Thanks for the recommendation.

18 minutes ago, Moorman said:

Thats cheaper than Amazon Prime Video. They have some good plans and prices. Thanx...?

You're welcome.