Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ahead of Their Time

CaveGirl

Please submit entries for this topic, which can be animal, vegetable, mineral or even dowager queens, or your Aunt Mitzi, but it would be nice if a few of them are from the movies.

They can be in the production mode, or thespian branch or whatever...

Gerry Anderson, TV director, producer writer whom thought of cordless phones, pocket pagers, computer upload / downloads and the in orbit repair of the Hubble Space Telescope back in 1970 with his "UFO" TV series.

gerry-anderson.jpg

His Space Shuttle

18ULU01_01_04.jpg

Repairing SID in orbit

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6x98ibnVGXv-C_94jDXI

155279-10032679Fr.jpg

• Like 1

I've always thought that Tennessee Williams was rather ahead of his time with his plays. I just watched Night of the Iguana (1964) for the first time, and was astonished to be watching a black-and-white movie in which the characters are openly talking about rape and pedophilia. I think his plays brought certain social issues to light; I don't know of a lot of others that were centered around the subjects his were. Also, A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are also great examples; they both also display themes of homosexuality. I feel like these things weren't necessarily talked about. 

Another example I just remembered: the 1953 movie, The Moon is Blue, was banned in certain theaters when it was released due to the language. The words "virgin," "seduce," and "mistress" were spoken in the film, which resulted in the ban. 

I adore this man! Besides all his accomplishments in futuristic visionary exploits, and work in the real world who doesn't enjoy his supermarionation in things like "Stingray" and "Thunderbirds" and so many other shows.

I own both of the above in box sets and I often start drifting off believing I am looking at real people when I watch episodes. Frightening, ain't it? Just the clever way they seem so alive often more than some human actors.

Thanks for an amazing choice, Ham!

13 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I adore this man! Besides all his accomplishments in futuristic visionary exploits, and work in the real world who doesn't enjoy his supermarionation in things like "Stingray" and "Thunderbirds" and so many other shows.

I own both of the above in box sets and I often start drifting off believing I am looking at real people when I watch episodes. Frightening, ain't it? Just the clever way they seem so alive often more than some human actors.

Thanks for an amazing choice, Ham!

About "Stingray" the Titan Terror Fish concept is coming true.

3ec62615d78ca68dd752590c8b8af0f1.jpg

hQm5IY3.jpg

tuna-robot-02.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I've always thought that Tennessee Williams was rather ahead of his time with his plays. I just watched Night of the Iguana (1964) for the first time, and was astonished to be watching a black-and-white movie in which the characters are openly talking about rape and pedophilia. I think his plays brought certain social issues to light; I don't know of a lot of others that were centered around the subjects his were. Also, A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are also great examples; they both also display themes of homosexuality. I feel like these things weren't necessarily talked about. 

Another example I just remembered: the 1953 movie, The Moon is Blue, was banned in certain theaters when it was released due to the language. The words "virgin," "seduce," and "mistress" were spoken in the film, which resulted in the ban. 

Thanks, Nick&Nora! I can see what you are saying about Tennessee. He was interested in topics which were not always discussed back in those days so you are right, very avant garde.

It is hard to believe, after seeing TMIB that it ever would raise an eyebrow, isn't it? Though the words might have been verboten at the time, the actual movie is quite tame but it definitely was "ahead of its time" in the usage of such terms.

I feel like Carole Lombard was ahead of her time. When I watched her cheeky spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS, it seemed like she was poking fun at Hollywood celebrities who take themselves too seriously. It felt exactly like the kind of thing we'd see in a Saturday Night Live skit. She knew how to have fun with the role but use the character to mock things that deserved some pointed criticism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to music; George Gershwin as a composer and Louie Armstrong as a musician.

Happy Birthday Louie Armstrong, 08/04/1901!!

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to music; George Gershwin as a composer and Louie Armstrong as a musician.

So true. I always worry when I smell anything which seems like rubber burning, since I once read in a bio of Gershwin that he was smelling such an odor when he was diagnosed with his condition. So sad to lose him so early in life. Love the music of Armstrong also and he was definitely ahead of his contemporaries. Thanks, James!

17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I feel like Carole Lombard was ahead of her time. When I watched her cheeky spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS, it seemed like she was poking fun at Hollywood celebrities who take themselves too seriously. It felt exactly like the kind of thing we'd see in a Saturday Night Live skit. She knew how to have fun with the role but use the character to mock things that deserved some pointed criticism. 

She definitely had something above and beyond many of the glamour pusses of the day. I think she was a good Joe, who liked to hang out with the crew too, which made her special. Thanks, TB!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Gerry Anderson, TV director, producer writer whom thought of cordless phones, pocket pagers, computer upload / downloads and the in orbit repair of the Hubble Space Telescope back in 1970 with his "UFO" TV series.

And the Star Trek: Next Generation series/movies, as far back as 1987, imagined a future where paper was no longer used, and maps, blueprints, reports, and even mail and classic books would all be displayed on personal handheld mini-computer touch-screens, called Padds:

sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And the Star Trek: Next Generation series/movies, as far back as 1987, imagined a future where paper was no longer used, and maps, blueprints, reports, and even mail and classic books would all be displayed on personal handheld mini-computer touch-screens, called Padds:

sttng_padd_s06ep20.jpg

:lol:

1970s-close-up-computer-printout-scrolli

oO44gHscerj7obPFqiCUCSzw_y7m0niauy9seShR

computer-printers-1280683.jpg

stacks-of-computer-printouts-picture-id5

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to music; George Gershwin as a composer and Louis Armstrong as a musician.

Dang, James.  I'd have figured you'd of added CHARLIE CHRISTIAN and LOUIS JORDAN to that pair.  ;)  And maybe too, IGOR STRAVINSKY as composer....

And of course, we all back in the "day" paid tribute to the writings of JULES VERN and the prop devices on STAR TREK as "ahead of their time".  And I'll throw in DOUGLAS TRUMBULL as far as movie effects go.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 7:49 AM, Sepiatone said:

Dang, James.  I'd have figured you'd of added CHARLIE CHRISTIAN and LOUIS JORDAN to that pair.  ;)  And maybe too, IGOR STRAVINSKY as composer....

And of course, we all back in the "day" paid tribute to the writings of JULES VERN and the prop devices on STAR TREK as "ahead of their time".  And I'll throw in DOUGLAS TRUMBULL as far as movie effects go.

Sepiatone

Your very refined taste is showing, Sepia! Charlie and Louis definitely were ahead of their time. So many great musical figures of the past, whose influence is still felt and I really dig Igor and if I could go back in time, I'd be so happy to have seen his "The Rite of Spring" with Nijinksy's choreography. Good calls on Jules and Trumbull also and thanks as always for your sage response. Perhaps you are ahead of your time also!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Top Billed you are so right about Carole Lombard.  She was definitely was a great actress and comedienne.  PRINCESS COMES ACROSS IS A GREAT SCREWBALL ÇOMEDY MOVIE.  Leave it to Paramount to make first rate comedy films . They were the best in the genre.Like They gave PRESTON STURGES  THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHINE.  First as a screenwriter,  then he became one of the best directors in Hollywood history.  Finally, in October, TCM WILL SHOW MY MAN GODFREY. It hasn't aired in ages. It is one of the greatest Hollywood comedies ever produced.  Both Carole and William Powell are at their best.  Besides Carole, Bill Powell shines in this film.  I recommend this film for viewing.
  • Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings