Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

son of frankwenstein tonite on svengoolie

NipkowDisc

this one I think is the best with Karloff's 3rd and final performance as the monster. I didn't really cotton to this one as a kid but today it is in my view the finest of the Frankenstein universal classics. basil Rathbone as baron wolf von Frankenstein gives the monster a medical examination and everything. it's not a perfect film as I woulda liked to have had more scenes of the monster scaring the bleep out of villagers. this movie gives us some fun medical stats on the monster like his diastolic and systolic.

:)

"he's completely superhuman!" -basil rathbone

Related image

Image result for son of frankenstein

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

this one I think is the best with Karloff's 3rd and final performance as the monster. I didn't really cotton to this one as a kid but today it is in my view the finest of the Frankenstein universal classics. basil Rathbone as baron wolf von Frankenstein gives the monster a medical examination and everything. it's not a perfect film as I woulda liked to have had more scenes of the monster scaring the bleep out of villagers. this movie gives us some fun medical stats on the monster like his diastolic and systolic.

:)

"he's completely superhuman!" -basil rathbone

Related image

Another important issue about this version starring the sartorially splendid Karloff, is without it, I doubt Sonny Bono would have been able to come up with the idea for some of his special vests he would wear on stage with Cher! 

• Haha 1

As much as I love Rathbone in Cap'n Blood and El Zorro and especially as Sherlock Holmes, my favorite role that he plays is that of Wolf Frankenstein. Rathbone chews up the scenery here, with his quivering lips and bad dart playing. Young Frankenstein was based on Rathbone's "son". Gosh, it's so much fun. I just love this movie, folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Rathbone chews up the scenery here, with his quivering lips and bad dart playing. Young Frankenstein was based on Rathbone's "son". Gosh, it's so much fun. I just love this movie, folks.

You watch Son for the first time wondering whether it was the YF inspiration, and then when Inspector Lionel Atwill and his wooden arm play darts with Rathbone, you're practically quoting Mel Brooks dialogue.

A riot...iss...an ugly thing...

Of the 3 Frankenstein movies with Karloff, I personally think BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is the best of the lot, you really feel for him there, his isolation, his mistreatment at the hands of the villagers and his hunger for love and companionship.

Still SON OF FRANKENSTEIN is quite enjoyable. Bela Lugosi is great as Ygor, there's no trace of Dracula at all in here. Basil Rathbone is excellent as well, and does a great job in portraying that despite his original intentions, Wolf proves he is still his father's son.

Karloff doesn't talk in here (probably to his preference, I understand that he didn't like the Monster talking in BRIDE), the Monster is not nearly as sympathetic as he was in the 2 previous films, but still his presence is much appreciated in here, and he's still nowhere near as bad as Ygor, who is using him as a weapon in his sinister plans (much like Doctor Pretorious wanted to use the Monster to force Henry Frankenstein into aiding him with his agenda in the previous film).

Always enjoy Lionel Atwill as the police inspector trying to be as fair as he can be to the latest Frankenstein bunch arriving in the village, but also acknowledges that he can't ignore the strange and tragic happenings that are happening since Wolf and his family arrived.

Must make a note to have a marathon with the Karloff films one of these days, each film is quite entertaining in their own ways.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings