Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover

Chemistry or Charmistry?

I am stuck on this subject. Besides the usual suspects (Tracy and Hepburn, Bogart and Bacall, Powell and Loy, Astaire and Rogers, Gable and Harlow) have you ever seen a couple on the screen who light it with their own glow? What was the movie? And what was the sparkle you noticed between them?

I keep thinking about two couples that really seemed perfect in their roles together. Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant in Notorious Their passion at the hotel early in the film and the last scene are perfect.

Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue in A Summer Place. When she tells him how the movie ends...that's all I will say about that.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

Wow. This cursor has been blinking at me for 10 minutes.

They were madly all in love in real life (except Cary...but I think his aura was generous...and Bergman's was also). All regardless, were and are exceptional actors. So can I cheat and say both chemistry and charmistry?

Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor perhaps, but that was because of their dedication to the art.

Elizabeth agan and Montgomery Clift...also a light that came from their art.

Great question!

This may seem odd, but what came to mind for me was Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan in "About Mrs. Leslie", from the eary 1950's. Neither is young when they meet, but they discover they have an easy rapport and both are starved for companionship. They defy convention by spending two weeks together every year, at his suggestion. She finds out years later that he is married and has a high-profile job, but decides to honor their tradition anyway. I can't say that their scenes together have a real "spark", but the ease with which they relate and the comfort they find in each other is palpable. Theirs is a kind of idealized relationship, without the demands of daily life to sour it, but they make it so charming and real. She always called him "Mr. Leslie, honey", and after he died, she continued her life as "Mrs. Leslie", though they were never married. I'd say their chemistry was very remarkable, and both were such pros.

My newest favorite charmers is James Whitmore & Marjorie Main because of their 1950 *Mrs. O'Malley And Mr. Malone* whodunit film. TCM intro'd this to me last year, and I've watched it several times since, each time charmed at the interaction between those two. No romance, not exactly, but sort of. More like a wavelength connection, not just a romance spark.

In the atomic sense, "charmed" is exactly the correct term.

At the time, there were several notes saying this film couple coulda-shoulda done more combo films together, but we only have this one. A great example, nevertheless.

I think that David Niven and Loretta Young in The Bishop's Wife had both chemistry and charmistry (although without Dudley they would've lost them both). There was just a tenderness there.

Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed were the charmistry brand in It's A Wonderful Life.

William Powell and Irene Dunne has both the chemistry and charmistry in Life With Father.

As for pure CHEMISTRY I think we can all think of all the regulars, some of whom you already mentioned. Of course that's why they were paired together time after time after time. With Powell and Loy some segments of the public actually thought they were really married. It was kind of weird to see them paired in Libeled Lady with Powell's real love of his life at the time Harlow.

Debbie Reynolds and Rod Taylor in The Catered Affair. That "Catholic" scene in his apartment when they were necking on the pull down bed and decided to go to the movies instead of...the music accompanying that scene was very sexy and so were they.

I agree with the Ingrid & Cary in NOTORIOUS replies. I also really enjoyed their "chemistry/charmistry" in INDISCREET.

May I add...

Greer Garson & Ronald Colman in RANDOM HARVEST

Greer Garson & Laurence Olivier in PRIDE & PREJUDICE

Deborah Kerr & Robert Mitchum in HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON & THE SUN DOWNERS & THE GRASS IS GREENER

Teresa Wright & Dana Andrews in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

Doris Day & Rock Hudson in PILLOW TALK & LOVER COME BACK

Natalie Wood & Tony Curtis in SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL

Julia Roberts & Richard Gere in PRETTY WOMAN & RUNAWAY BRIDE

Sandra Bullock & Keanu Reeves in SPEED & THE LAKE HOUSE

THere are some very nice examples here. Here are some of mine, off the top

Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon seemed to have both 'chemistry' and 'charmistry'

in every movie in which they were paired. I believe Greer brought most of this to the screen

because I also see this with Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939). She seems to morph

into whatever personality her co-star's character requires to make him complete - them one.

Something a bit more recent: Same Time, Next Year (1978). Ellen Burstyn and Alan Alda

are perfect for each other. Watching them grow, grow apart, then grow together again. That's

good 'chemistry' with a fair dose of 'charmistry' for good measure. Now I'm wishing TCM would

show it. _Soon_ :)

Random Harvest with Greer Garson and Ronald Colman. Wonderful chemistry between them.

Love Affair with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. Need I say more?

History is Made at Night with Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer. The scene in the restaurant with the hand puppets.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison -- chemistry and charm galore!

The Quiet Man -- John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara's best film.

My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant

Maytime with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy - the entire Mayday sequence.

Portrait of Jennie - Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones -- hard to describe..but hard to forget. An

ethereal chemistry/charmistry indeed!

Good topic!

Because of his comedy turn in this movie: Steve McQueen & Natalie Wood in "Love With A

Proper Stranger"

Another vote for Myrna Loy & William Powell in The Thin Man Series

Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". The scene when he

looked over at her(tears in her eyes) and said "If it's half as much as I feel.....", I felt like I

was watching the real people, not actors.

Bette Davis & George Brent in "Dark Victory"

Olivia DeHavilland & Errol Flynn in everything they did together. Chemistry: Opposites attract?

Bogart & Bacall - enough said

Call me strange. I really liked Walter Huston & Mary Astor in "Dodsworth"

Janet Gaynor & Frederic March in "A Star Is Born"

Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray in "Remember the Night" - The popover scene was

"delicious".

Time for lunch. I have taken up enough space! ;)

> {quote:title=erzbet wrote:}{quote}

>.. hard to describe..but hard to forget. An ethereal chemistry/charmistry indeed!

About Mrs. Leslie. Fabulous movie and yes, Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan had C&C and it is heart-warming for me to think of "Hazel" in that way.

Macao - Mitchum and Russell.

Room At The Top - Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret.

I think I know the difference for me.

_Chemistry_ is a couple who are beautiful together and physically attractive to the viewer. We enjoy watching them, and they enjoy each other in their acting.

h4. They make a nice couple!

Examples for me: Greer Garson and Walter Pigeon in Mrs. Miniver and Myrna Loy and William Powell in The Thin Man

_Charmistry_ is an added plus of the situation being off in some fashion, but we are charmed into loving this couple just the same, and our emotion for them helps us overcome obstacles we have with the story.

h4. I hope they can stay in love.

Example for me: Katerine Ross and Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate and on another level, Greer Garson and Ronald Coleman in Random Harvest.

I'm sure some will not agree, and that's just fine with me. That's why it's a discussion board..

Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea - More The Merrier

Jean Arthur and Cary Grant - Talk of the Town

Jean Arthur and Ray Milland - Easy Living

Jean Arthur and William Powell - Ex Mrs Bradford

Jean Arthur and James Stewart - Mr Smith and You Can't Take it With You

Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray - Remember the Night

Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda - Lady Eve and Mad Miss Manton

Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper - Ball of Fire

Ginger Rogers and David Niven - Bachalor Mother

Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire - most of their movies

Ginger Rogers and William Powell - Star of Midnight

Ginger Rogers and Cary Grant - Monkey Business

Myrna Loy - William Powell - The Thinman movies

Myrna Loy - Cary Grant - The Bachalor and the Bobby Soxer

Myrna Loy - Clark Gable - Test Pilot

I liked Audrey Hepburn a lot in some of the movies from the late part of her career. One example of great chemistry was her and Cary Grant in Charade. One example of the other would be Audrey and Albert Finney in Two for the Road - I can't help but hoping they'll fall in love with each other again any time I watch that movie. The early days of their romance are so very romantic!

With Barbara Stanwyck, some of the best chemistry/charmistry was relatively early in her careers, especially with Ball of Fire, The Lady Eve and Christmas in Connecticut.

And with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne, their chemistry always seems just right whether it is in The Quiet Man, McLintock! or The Wings of Eagles.

hi i totally agree with your couples- all of them as if i wrote it myself thanks for that

but top of my list is as you also have said

jeanette and nelson maytime the most chemistry of all very intimate as if we are watching a private moment with 2 beautiful folks and hauntingly beautiful music sigh

love the ghost and mrs muir

maureen and the duke- all of those you mentioned thanks