Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Singers as Actors

There have been many instances of singers who have tried their luck in the movies. Some ended up having long careers, such as Doris Day, Dean Martin, and Sinatra. And then there are a few singers who made a very few movies and then, for whatever reason, did not continue with their movie careers. This would include Perry Como, Patti Page, and Peggy Lee (who even got an Oscar nomination for "Pete Kelly's Blues.") And finally there are the singers who only made one movie---singers like Neil Diamond, Teresa Brewer, and Johnny Ray. I'm no movie critic, but I felt that each of these singers did good enough jobs that they should have had a longer career in Hollywood. Any other thoughts on singers who tried, successfully or unsuccessfully, to become actors?

Terrence.

Clooney had a naturalness in front of the camera much like Doris Day. Paramount wanted to build her into a big star but unfortunately she turned her back on Hollywood in favor of raising a family. On the other hand Perry Como always seemed uncomfortable in front of the movie cameras and was more at ease in front of a live TV audience. Others singers that had a short movie career include Guy Mitchell, Anna Maria Albergetti, Fabian, Bobby Rydell and Bobby Darin. Tony Martin was groomed for stardom in Hollywood and even though he made quite a few pictures he never reached the heights that was expected. Others like Frankie Avalon and Pat Boone did quite well in Hollywood.

When you think about it, Rosemary Clooney should have become a huge star in the movies. You are right---I had heard that she preferred to concentrate on raising her family. I've always felt that "White Christmas" was her triumph. Before that, it was mainly minor musicals at Paramount. And Perry Como has always said that Hollywood was not for him. I suspect that his being a devout

Catholic made him feel that he didn't belong with the Hollywood crowd. And although I didn't care too much for "Red Garters", I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Guy Mitchell in it. He had all the makings of a major musical star in Hollywood. I wonder what happened. His career should have rivaled that of Gordon MacRae.

Terrence.

I met Mitchell sometime in the 1990s and he looked pretty much the same. I laughingly told him he walks like he did in RED GARTERS. He said something to the effect that RED GARTERS needed some heavyweights in the cast. I know he made another minor musical THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, and I should have asked why he made no more films after that. Of course maybe he wasn't interesting in acting and wanted to concentrate on his singing career.

I did not remember Guy Mitchell in "Redheads from Seattle." The only male actor I remember is Gene Barry. It's good to know that Guy remained pretty much the same. He was such a huge singing star in the 50's that that may have been the reason he didn't pursue an acting career more vigorously. Anyway, I think it's great that you had the opportunity to see him so recently.

Terrence.

Terrence1, Mitchell co-starred in REDHEADS along with singer Teresa Brewer, right before RED GARDERS. In checking IMDB apparently Mitchell had his own television show in 1957 and made lots of TV appearances in the 50s and 60's including ANN SOTHERN SHOW and PERRY MASON