Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Former actor and President of the United States is dead at 93.

Although the good looking actor was chided mostly about his role in "Bedtime for Bonzo" about a chimp he actually appeared in some good roles including "Knute Rockne-All American", "Santa Fe Trail", "Desperate Journey", "The Voice of the Turtle", "John Loves Mary", "The Hasty Heart" and "Storm Warning".

Of course his finest part came in the movie "Kings Row" where he loses his legs and screams "Where's the rest of me?" which would be the title of a book he once wrote.

My sympathy goes out to his wife former actress Nancy Davis Reagan and may he rest in peace.

Mongo

I was not a fan of his politics, however I really sympathize with Mrs. Reagan and what she's had to go through the last 10 years. I'm glad he's gone on because no one should have to go through what they've had to endure. May he rest in peace and condolences to the family.

President Reagan put an end to the berlin wall and no

president after him has done any accomplishment close

to achieveing that kind of history !.......

I salute him and send my deepest sympathy to nancy,

Ron Jr., & michael, Patty and all the grandchildren

he was the best president ever and sure wish he was in office right now! Even has an actor he did films that left you with some sort of moral statement or plenty

of humor like Bedtime for Bonzo when i need a good laugh

The last ten years for nancy i couldn't even imagine

but she's first lady in my book. RIP Mr. President

a job well done I salute you!......

Yes, may he rest in peace...and I liked him very much in "Kings Row" "Hasty Heart" & "Santa Fe Trail".

Thanks Mongo, you beat me to this 1. "Scooped me in essence. Great going pal I was wondering exactly why Ronald Reagan was 4-F during the big-one WW11-(his eyes were pretty bad, as I just now learned on CNN) Don't know where you stand politically? Or, a grand gal by the name of ML!?-(I kinda' think I know where she stands on that level, more than yourself though. Due to me knowing her longer & corresponding so-much with that marvelous individual!) However, this site is not for that stuff. Reagan, worked on over 50 motion pictures & was of course a WB contract player-(several with: Errol Flynn-(1909-59) as a matter of fact!) & although, the legendary>"Win 1 for the Gipper," is more famous, you hit the Bullseye with 1942's terrific Americana: "Kings Row!"-(some say it's the closest he came to winning an OSCAR nomination for s. actor & they are likely correct & some nitwits argue with me & insist he was nominated for it. without even looking up the facts 1st?) There are only a handful of us lucky enough to have>TCM's book "Movies We Love"-"100 collectible classics"-(IT's TIME FOR A SEQUEL YOU GUYS AT TCM!!!) & "Kings Row," is among the #100 in it.-(A TREMENDOUS BOOK FANS! & I'll say it again, Mr. 0sborne,etc TIME FOR THE OTHER #100 classics & 2nd book!)

"Where's the rest of me?" is exactly the tag-line used in the book as well-(great goin' buddy) Besides, Pat 0'Brien is the show in "Knote Rockne: All American" It's likely his finest hour. Though Pat was also never nominated.

Personally, what about you cinephiles "Bedtime for Bonzo" is kinda' funny stuff? Anyway, 1 tough Irishman-(gets shot, had the big "C!") What every single bit of coverage has skipped-over, so far anyway is: Reagan & along with: *John Wayne as well, were among the leading group of the Hollywood contingent & Hollywoods Witch-hunt!? He was SAG-president during that period. *"Duke," later apologized, I'm not certain if Reagan ever did for that awful period?

Anyone of whom has the facts, let us know-(very serious stuff, that destroyed lives, not just careers')

"Hasty Heart" is also a good pick. Richard Todd won the nod. for that 1949 flick. & whom has seen the re-make from 1964 of "The Killers?" It's President Reagan's final film, but this was the kicker, he played the heavy in it??? Overall, it's ok (**1/2) *Lee Marvin & Angie Dickinsn are also on hand & it was made for tv, but thought too-violent. Great closing line by *Lee Marvin too!

Welp, it was exactly this time last yr. that *Peck went & than *Kate Hepburn. I wonder if it's starting again? Thank You-(by the way, Ronald Reagan;s own Idol(s) were: Lincoln & *J.Cagney-(he awarded *Jim medal of freedom)

I wonder if the Oscar ceremony will mention him next year during their obituary tribute? And if they do, what kind of reaction will he get?

Being 21, I'm one of "Reagan's Children." Partly because of him, I got to grow up with very cool, very violent children's TV shows, sadistic toys, and wicked video games (he was definitely an advocate of such things). *sigh* Ah yes, that was high-quality entertainment! Being a kid in the 80's was great! I never knew who he was while he was still President (I was a very oblivious little kid).

...And that's my story. ;-)

Like some here, I didn't agree with many of Reagan's policies, but had no ill-will towards him as a man. But when LoliteBlue says he "put an end to the Berlin Wall" I have to stop her. The Berlin Wall fell due mostly to pressure on Russia by East Germany and Hungary, as well as many in the European community. Reagan merely reiterated their sentiments. Loudly. To believe he is solely responsible for the fall of the Berlin wall is extremely short-sighted and just plain wrong. That's not going to stop the FOX Network from reporting it as 'fact' for the next few weeks, though.

Also, as far as Reagan being the "best President ever," well if that's your opinion, great. I personally don't see it, but regardless, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends today. I enjoyed him more as an actor than a politician, but he accomplished a good deal in his 93 years and I do respect that..........

Although I'm another who didn't always agree with all of President Reagan's policies, I had utmost respect for him as a person and President of this country, and I wish to extend my Sincere Condolences to his wife family. If TCM does a film Tribute, I certainly hope that "Kings Row" and "The Hasty Heart" will be included. ML

After watching tributes and profiles of the late actor turned politician these past few days I was reminded of all the good he did do for the country as president and was also reminded that it was a comfortable 8 years for me and my family while he served.

Best of all his love for his country was catching and made us feel just how great it was to be an American.

Ronald Reagan was OK in my book.

Mongo

i was touched to hear of reagan's passing heard it on the radio how fitting is that since he was a recognized voice on the radio and one of the first waves of people on early tv. his suffering is over and i know nancy and the family is grieving and i would for one like to send my sympathys to them. i do have to post this and i wonder if anyone else feels this way. i for one could never dissemble reagan the president from reagan the actor everytime i see him in a movie he is president reagan. anyone else does this also? i like the brother rat movies and the one where he brings his buddy's love interest home with him with hilarious results this may be john loves mary. and a movie i saw recntly he stars with shirley temple{she's a young teenager in this movie} can't remember the title it is something like that mary hagen girl.

Here is goes--I'll probably get ostracized for this.

The reason you can't dissemble Reagan the actor from Reagan the President is that he was only ACTING like the President. I don't believe the man had any power; he just did the bidding of his advisors, kind of like the man in the White House today. OK--I'm off my soapbox now. Please don't hate me.

BTW I do like him in Santa Fe Trail, Kings Row and Dark Victory. Just didn't agree with his politics.

I DO approve of Ronald Reagen's politics! I believe he did a GREAT job as President. The wall fell and so did (most of) communism.

In a way his passing was merciful. Suffering from Alzheimer is a terrible, god awful malady. I had a temp. job in an Alzheimer's Clinic when I lived in California. They offered the job to me permanently, .... I declined. I could not bear to see those poor souls day after day.

God bless President Reagen and Nancy.

We don't hate you brackenhe for expressing your opinion on the these boards. That's what it's all about.

I myself felt comfortable with President Reagan in power as I stated in a prior post.

Also was the fact that we had a president with morals something that we didn't have in leadership just prior to our current president four years ago.

Mongo

I always found Ronald Reagan to be a likable, decent person who had some eloquent moments on the public stage. I'll think of him more as a loving husband to Mrs. Reagan and a father figure for our country--not as a perfect political leader. Since my political preferences are basically irrelevant to the purposes of this forum, maybe people will enjoy knowing that, as of now, some of the films featuring Reagan are being shown on TCM on June 24th. I wish that "The Hasty Heart" was among them, but if you've never seen "King's Row", I recommend it highly--the late president as well as Ann Sheridan and Claude Rains each give excellent performances. Here's the rundown for 6/24/04:

12:30 PM The Last Outpost (1951) Brothers on opposite sides of the Civil War join forces to fight off marauding Indians. Ronald Reagan, Rhonda Fleming, Bill Williams. D: Lewis R. Foster. C 89m.

2:00 PM Desperate Journey (1942) American pilots stranded in Germany during World War II fight their way to freedom. Errol Flynn, Alan Hale, Ronald Reagan. D: Raoul Walsh. BW 108m. CC

4:00 PM Kings Row (1942) Small town scandals inspire an idealistic young man to take up psychiatry. Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan. D: Sam Wood. BW 127m. CC DVS

6:15 PM Stallion Road (1947) A veterinarian and a novelist compete for the heart of a lady rancher. Ronald Reagan, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott. D: James V. Kern. BW 97m.

May I remind everyone that this isn't the place to discuss our personal political orientations or beliefs, much less our likes or dislikes for a President of our United States. We've been through this before on these boards, and it's just not acceptable here. There are countless other sites on the Internet where personal "political soapboxes" are more appropriate to get up on if you feel the need. This site just isn't one of them...ever. Thanks! ML

I liked him as an actor AND as president. He was one of the great men of our time. He accomplished more than most in his life, and I admire the fact that he was "genuine" - a decent man trying to do good for our country. And on top of that he was a pretty good actor - there's a lot of good things to be said for him, so let's try and focus on those things instead of giving negative comments.

May he rest in peace.

P.S. - I wonder if Jane Wyman is going to be seen at the funeral, or perhaps on some of the talk shows - has anyone heard anything?

MovieJoe, I was also wondering about Jane Wyman and if she and her marriage to Ronald Reagan would also be brought forth somewhere this week. I guess that it's doubtful, kind of in the name of "common decency" because they were divorced so long ago, and Jane Wyman was not our "First Lady" when Reagan was President. I am satisfied, however, that she has feelings concerning his death, and that they should remain private. ML

Since Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman had children together during their marriage there was always a "bond" between them. Sadly their daughter Maureen died of cancer a few years ago and sadly Mr. Reagan wasn't aware of it under the circumstances. However Jane Wyman was devastated by their daughters death. Nancy also adored Maureen and attended her funeral.

Miss Wyman was approached many times and offered big bucks to write a book about Ronald Reagan and refused.

The lady has a lot of class.

Mongo

I put a qualifier in my statement and after I posted and Mongo was so nice about it, I came to realize maybe it wasn't appropriate to bring up my differences with him politically. Boy am I having to eat my words a lot here lately. It's just that I'm a member on a rather vociferous political message board that has had me fired up all week. My apologies to you President Reagan fans. BTW--I wish they'd show Santa Fe Trail but I'll be gone on vacation on June 24 so I won't be seeing any of the movies that day anyway. He was a nice man and I wouldn't wish Alzheimer's on anyone. And Mrs. Reagan has just been a trooper. I have gained a whole new respect for her in the last 10 years that I never had whilst in the WH.

I don't know much about Reagan, what kind of president he was, or what his policies were or anything... but he was a huge figure of my childhood - as was Princess Diana and many others. When the key figures from your younger years start passing away... especially when your younger years weren't really that long ago... it makes you realize you're getting older. LOL

Aside from his presidency he was a decent actor and seemed like a good guy. May he rest in peace!

> Being 21, I'm one of "Reagan's Children." Partly

> because of him, I got to grow up with very cool, very

> violent children's TV shows, sadistic toys, and

> wicked video games (he was definitely an advocate of

> such things). *sigh* Ah yes, that was high-quality

> entertainment! Being a kid in the 80's was great! I

> never knew who he was while he was still President (I

> was a very oblivious little kid).

>

> ...And that's my story. ;-)

Garbage Pail Kids, Pogo Balls... that was REAGAN!?! Who knew. lol ;)

And yes, being a kid of the '80s WAS great. I have some great memories. Great music, great movies, great toys, great friends, my babysitter w/her blue eyeshadow and puffy hair... I loved it.

Classicsfan1119,

I understand your concern about using these boards to discuss political views and how you find it inappropriate. I understand that. But it's really hard to discuss Ronald Reagan and not have politics come up. It would be like discussing Audrey Hepburn's life and not mentioning her many beautiful humanitarian gestures.

Digressions are going to happen here occasionally and is that really so wrong? The brilliant group that posts on this board surely have thoughts that go beyond movies and if on a rare occasion, a discussion on any subject fosters intellectual discussion, is that really so bad?

Maybe I need a complex list on what can and cannot be discussed on these boards, but if the discussion never branches off into any thoughtful interaction, then what's the point? I'm not criticizing, it's just that I'm almost afraid to voice any opinion here for fear of being jumped on by the administrator of this board. I agree that 99% of the content here should stick to the discussion of movies, but I find that other 1% of discussion interesting, as well.....Just a thought.