Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Keith, of course we all have thoughts that stretch well beyond the intent of these boards. I will hold to my opinion that our political and religious thoughts should more appropriately find expression elsewhere, and that these boards remain for the purpose of discussing the various and many aspects of the movie industry. Perhaps you can tell me, in a way that I can better understand, what Mr. Reagan's Presidency had to do with the movies he made?

And, surely you can realize that Audrey Hepburn's "humanitarian" activities is a much different topic for discussion than our own personal political ideas. In the many discussions I've read on our boards about Audrey Hepburn, I've never once seen anyone bash her "humanitarian" efforts, regardless of what she was thought of as an actress.

I do totally agree with you that any subject that fosters "intellectual discussion" is worthwhile here, but when I see evidence of little other than "bashing" replacing what we might call "intelligent" discussions, I just have to draw the line. I fail to find it at all "thoughtful" to bash a past President, under any circumstances. And, I believe that there are still many people posting with us who don't find it all that "difficult" to discuss Ronald Reagan, the actor, or to discuss his movies...and leave our personal political views out of the discussions.

I don't think that we need a "complex list" of what we should and shouldn't be discussing on TCM's boards. Common decency usually prevails, in most cases anyway. I appreciate and respect your personal feedback, however. Guess you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree about appropriateness when personal political and religious soapboxes pop up, followed by comments that are merely ugly. :)ML

Comments that are "merely ugly," Classicfan1119? You must have seen something in these posts that I missed......You'll have to show me where that occurred. Anyway, I respect your opinion, ML, and will at least try to act accordingly.

I just watched the nice memorial tribute to Ronald Reagan that TCM put together. It's a neat compilation of his film roles ending with the "one for the gipper" scene.

Mongo

Keith, please change my words "merely ugly" to say "merely mean-spirited", which is much closer to what I really intended to say. And, it would not do me any good to bring forth the post in which I saw "mean-spiritedness" in this thread, because if you didn't see it then, you won't see it now, either. We've both had our "say", so let's just let it go, Ok? ;)ML

i thought Jane Wyman was dead-i thought i had heard she passed on in the 80s or 90s wasn't she on one of the primetime soap operas in the late 80s or 90s or was that another hollywood star like barbara stanwyk. i think i remember Wyman being on Falcon Crest before she passed on. If she isn't i apologize for my error for i mean nothing malicious. But as we are posting bout reagan i have to tell you all also about when i saw nancy's movie The next Voice You"ll be Hearing i was on the edge of my seat. as was the person who watched it with me. i remember saying hey that looks like Nancy Reagan and it was and she looked convincingly pregnant. I also learned at about this time that Rock Hudson not only made romantic movies with Doris Day but with Jane Wyman and these movies were very entertaining.

KeithfromKC--I wanted to let you know that I was the author of the offending Reagan post. I did issue an apology for my remarks on this board and the other Reagan board that was started after his death. I thought better of my remarks, because it's not polite to speak ill of the dead. I won't repeat my remarks but you'll see the reactions on the other boards. I've been told I'm not welcome but I continue to post, even though I'm not expecting any responses. But I did want to let you know that I was the one who got everyone upset, not you.

brackenhe hang in ther buddy, I speak from experience. Post away if one doesn't agree with you that's one thing but to try to tell you, you aren't welcome or to make you feel unwelcomed is another. I'll tell you I was about 10 or 11 years old when Reagan was elected and when he would talk about Star wars or the funding for it I was frightened as a child. If stars get political and Reagan was in a big way it seems foolish not to discuss it. It is a real class act for you to issue an apology if you offended anyone some people aren't so big to do this. I remember also being surprised to learn that Reagan was once a democrat and it is interesting to read about in other stars autobigraphies their take on Reagan the actor and Reagan the politician. Kirk Douglas talks about it in A Ragman's Son. June Allyson writes about Dick Powell and Reagan talking politics as well. I wish I could remember the tilte to Allyson's book I cried buckets when she writes of Dick Powell's death. Anyway it is politics{in a way} that brought Reagan the love of his life as one is elected to the screen actor's guild presidency as Reagan was a young starlet named Nancy Davis came to him with a problem she was having.

Don't give up on posting, brackenhe. We all struggle to express our thoughts at times and disagreements or ruffled feathers between posters is as American as, well, Ronald Reagan.

TCM has altered its schedule to showcase Mr. Reagan's films tomorrow for 24 hours, starting on Thursday, June 10th at 8am. Here's the rundown, in case anyone missed it:

8:00 AM Love Is On The Air (1937) A crusading radio reporter takes on civic corruption. Ronald Reagan, June Travis, Eddie Acuff. D: Nick Grinde. BW 59m.

9:00 AM Accidents Will Happen (1938) An insurance man tangles with a fraud ring. Ronald Reagan, Gloria Blondell, Dick Purcell. D: William Clemens. BW 60m. CC

10:15 AM Angels Wash Their Faces (1939) A young delinquent defies his sister to join a tough street gang. Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan, The Dead End Kids. D: Ray Enright. BW 86m. CC

11:45 AM Tugboat Annie Sails Again (1940) A veteran lady captain fights off competition. Marjorie Rambeau, Jane Wyman, Ronald Reagan. D: Lewis Seiler. BW 77m. CC

1:15 PM Santa Fe Trail (1940) Romantic rivals get caught in the battle to stop abolitionist John Brown. Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Raymond Massey. D: Michael Curtiz. BW 110m. CC DVS

3:15 PM One For The Book (1947) A lovelorn actress shares her apartment with a lonely soldier. Eleanor Parker, Ronald Reagan, Eve Arden. D: Irving Rapper. BW 103m. CC

5:00 PM Night Unto Night (1949) A terminally ill scientist seeks comfort from a mentally disturbed widow. Ronald Reagan, Viveca Lindfors, Rosemary DeCamp. D: Don Siegel. BW 85m.

6:30 PM Prisoner Of War (1954) American GIs fight to survive inhuman treatment in a Korean POW camp. Ronald Reagan, Steve Forrest, Dewey Martin. D: Andrew Marton. BW 81m.

8:00 PM Kings Row (1942) Small town scandals inspire an idealistic young man to take up psychiatry. Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan. D: Sam Wood. BW 127m. CC DVS

10:15 PM Desperate Journey (1942) American pilots stranded in Germany during World War II fight their way to freedom. Errol Flynn, Alan Hale, Ronald Reagan. D: Raoul Walsh. BW 108m. CC

12:15 AM The Last Outpost (1951) Brothers on opposite sides of the Civil War join forces to fight off marauding Indians. Ronald Reagan, Rhonda Fleming, Bill Williams. D: Lewis R. Foster. C 89m.

2:00 AM John Loves Mary (1949) A World War II veteran's marriage of convenience threatens his real wedding plans. Ronald Reagan, Patricia Neal, Jack Carson. D: David Butler. BW 96m.

3:45 AM An Angel From Texas (1940) A pair of slick Broadway producers con a wealthy cowboy into backing their show. Eddie Albert, Rosemary Lane, Ronald Reagan. D: Ray Enright. BW 69m.

5:00 AM Sergeant Murphy (1938) A lowly private becomes attached to a trained military horse. Ronald Reagan, Mary Maguire, Donald Crisp. D: B. Reeves Eason. BW 57m. CC

11 Friday

6:00 AM Hell's Kitchen (1939) An ex-con tries to help a group of hardened juvenile delinquents. Ronald Reagan, Margaret Lindsay, The Dead End Kids. D: Lewis Seiler, E.A. Dupont. BW 81m.

7:30 AM Night Unto Night (1949) A terminally ill scientist seeks comfort from a mentally disturbed widow. Ronald Reagan, Viveca Lindfors, Rosemary DeCamp. D: Don Siegel. BW 85m.

Thank you for the update, moira. I was thinking they'd be doing something like this ... this means I'll have to wait to catch "Ziegfeld Girl" some other time;- )

In either case, does anyone have any quick recommendations re: this line-up. I've only seen a handful of them myself (love "Kings Row" and like "Desperate Journey"'s escapism). Am surprised they're not showing "The Voice of the Turtle" which is also very good.

Path, as my memory serves, "John Loves Mary" has some amusing moments, especially since Jack Carson is one of the players appearing with Reagan and a very young Patricia Neal. BTW, I wish they'd left the original "Voice of the Turtle" title alone instead of changing it to "One for the Book"--it's confusing and seems a blander phrase than the original.

Still wish that they'd show "The Hasty Heart" sometime. It's still quite an affecting story and well played by all, including Mr. Reagan. I'm intrigued by the "Night Unto Night" film showing at 5:30am Friday morning since it was directed by Don Siegal and the plot synopsis sounds as though it might be sombre, yet dramatic.

Yeah, in fact "John Loves Mary" is Patricia Neal's first film ... love her! And, don't forget (I saw a preview of this last night), Robert Osborne's Private Screenings with Patricia Neal debuts on Monday, June 28 at 8 PM ET.

Saw A Desperate Journey tonight and I have to report that I didn't have a problem watching it-for this movie he wasn't President Reagan. As a matter of fact he got some pretty good lines and scenes esp. expaining the workings of the airplane and his line " the iron fist has a glass jaw" As I sated before I like John loves Mary but does anyone else find Patricia Neal's voice hard to listen to she is trying to sound sophisticated,uppercrust and it strains my ear. However Patricia Neal-ese breaks thru her dialogue occassionally wished they had left it there and let her speak with her natural voice.

TCM...I know you have to run an impromptu salute to Ronald Reagan out of respect. But why last night instead of the 1005th time you were showing NOW VOYAGER? You have that rarely shown 1929 musical RIO RITA scheduled with Bebe Daniels, John Boles, Wheeler and Woolsey and the lucious Dorothy Lee and wham it is pre-empted. That kind of movie never gets the scheduling that those too often repeated classics with Bogart, Davis, etc. Can anyone remember the last time TCM showed RIO RITA? I know it is long and it drags but the tunes are good and the 2-strip Technicolor finale is marvelous.

LOL, hassan, they also stuck in a bleech movie of Ronnie's while I thought I was taping 'Chasing Yesterday' last night (you know how hard it is to program 12:15a.m.?, is it today, is it yesterday, is it tomorrow?). I happened to be awake, and surfing, and had to shut down the VCR, didn't want to waste tape on Ronnie boy.

Seems, according to their schedule, that they're not pre-empting 'Inspector General' today for Ronnie. Enough is too much, after all.

No matter, who am I to quibble? Like a junkyard dog, I am grateful for anything TCM does send out.

...still misty eyed from today's solemn and touching events that took place at the funeral of former actor and President of the United States Ronald Reagan.

I just want to take the time to thank Turner Classic Movies for revising their schedule in order to pay tribute to the actor Ronald Reagan.

I enjoyed watching some of the movies selected especially "Kings Row", "Santa Fe Trail", "One for the Book" aka "The Voice of the Turtle", "Night Unto Night" (a film I have never seen) and "Desperate Journey".

I also heard a humorous story today. While making "Kings Row" and during breaks the great communicator Reagan would hold the cast and crew captive with his stories and knowledge at which time an impressed Robert Cummings piped up and said "You should be President" afterwhich the witty Reagan said "Are you another one saying I'm not a good actor".

Thanks again TCM.

Mongo

Jane Wyman, 87, issued a statement on the day of Mr. Reagan's funeral, stating,"America has lost a great president and a kind and gentle man."