Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem accessing TCM website in London, England

I just got back from London. As usual, I intended to continue posting whilst in London. But I couldn't this time. Every time I went to the TCM site, I got in for a second; then I got a message saying: "Too many redirects."  I got this on my laptop, phone, or iPad.

The EU has new regulations about privacy. Nearly every site opens with something you have to agree to, presumably to protect you. I wonder if the TCM problem is related to that. It's the only one that you can't get into at all.

Have any other EU posters had this problem?

28 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I just got back from London. As usual, I intended to continue posting whilst in London. But I couldn't this time. Every time I went to the TCM site, I got in for a second; then I got a message saying: "Too many redirects."  I got this on my laptop, phone, or iPad.

The EU has new regulations about privacy. Nearly every site opens with something you have to agree to, presumably to protect you. I wonder if the TCM problem is related to that. It's the only one that you can't get into at all.

Probably is something to do with that EU privacy law - I've read of other global sites restricting EU access, at least temporarily. I just connected to TCM.com via a UK VPN and ran into the same redirect error. Beware, that it seems to dump something in your cookies that may result in your getting redirected to a 'Oh No, TCM is not available in your area' page for a while after you leave the VPN.

The UK appears to have it's own dedicated TCM site at tcmuk.tv

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Swithin said:

You probably already know what MY "theory" is gonna be as to why you had problems over there, don't ya Swithin.

Uh-huh, yep! All those superfluous-'u's they use over there probably gummed-up the works, dude!

And to say NOTHING about using the word "whilst" instead of "while" as you did in your second sentence up there!

(...don't forget here that needlessly used letters take up SO much extra bandwidth, ya know!)

;)

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...don't forget here that needless letters take up SO much extra bandwidth, ya know!)

What? More than a certain POTUS' 24-7 twitter stream of thought takes up? Does anyone at the Library of Congress hafta archive all that stuff? ;)

1 minute ago, limey said:

What? More than a certain POTUS' 24-7 twitter stream of thought takes up? Does anyone at the Library of Congress hafta archive all that stuff? ;)

Hmmmm...ya know, you just might have a valid point here, limey.

OH and btw, and to answer your question here about his tweets being archived in the Library of Congress.

I understand that yes, they ARE being preserved within that hallowed archival institution.

(...and that they're saving a place for 'em right next to those Dick and Jane books we read as children)

• Haha 2