Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Vampire Bat

clore

I haven't been around here in a long time - some personal issues. But having given you guys a hard time about a decade ago over the National Film Museum copy of The Vampire Bat that you aired then, let me thank you mucho for the UCLA restored version that aired the other night. It was gorgeous, easily the best that I've ever seen it and the coloring of the flames on the torches was a surprise.

• Like 6

Thanks guys, I hope to be around a bit more often. I searched on the web and while Youtube has numerous copies of THE VAMPIRE BAT, it took about four tries to find a restored one. I hope that I can post the link here without getting into trouble:

• Thanks 1

1. Welcome back Clore!

2. Damn, I am sorry I missed this. THE DEVIL BAT is a film I will always sit and watch, but its original- THE VAMPIRE BAT, has always left me a little cold in spite of the strength of the cast. A good part of this is due to the fact that the prints I've seen have been reeeeeeeeeeeally bad, distractingly so.

the quality of the print makes a HUGE difference, I know my opinions of both DRACULA and GRAND HOTEL went up when I saw them clean, clear, in HD and without all that hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssing and popping on the soundtrack.

• Thanks 1

Here's a tease that may get some to check out the above-linked copy on Youtube. Apparently some of the original prints of THE VAMPIRE BAT had some hand-tinted torches in the scenes where Dwight Frye is being chased by villagers.

vampire bat.jpg

• Thanks 1

I noticed it was on and watched part of it, but it was too late to stay up that late. I think I've seen it before as I remembered the torches. Poor Dwight Frye. Did he ever get out of the horror rut? Welcome back, clore. You havent missed that much!

• Haha 1

Frye did have the Wilmer role in the 1931 Maltese Falcon and I've spotted him in 1939's The Man in the Iron Mask (working for Whale again) and in Lang's Hangmen Also Die - both unbilled. He was supposed to appear in Wilson but he died before production began.

I only saw 10 minutes of Vampire Bat that night - it was 2am and I was tired. When I saw the "restored by UCLA" before the title card, I hit the DVR button. Being a short film I was able to get all of it - I'm at 98% capacity of my DVR.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, clore said:

I haven't been around here in a long time - some personal issues. But having given you guys a hard time about a decade ago over the National Film Museum copy of The Vampire Bat that you aired then, let me thank you mucho for the UCLA restored version that aired the other night. It was gorgeous, easily the best that I've ever seen it and the coloring of the flames on the torches was a surprise.

Welcome back, Clore! As I recall, you're a Queens boy. Do you still live there? 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Welcome back, Clore! As I recall, you're a Queens boy. Do you still live there? 

Oh yes - still in Queens. I don't figure on moving as my co-op is so inexpensive. I'd have to pay twice as much to get half the space were I to move.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings