Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Movie Inspired Steven Spielberg And George Lucas To Make Raiders Of The Lost Ark

David Guercio

The one Ben Mankiewicz discussed was Valley of the Kings (1954) with Robert Taylor & Eleanor Parker. I juts watched it last week, and it had the Ben Manky intro where he talked about the movie's influence on Raiders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Kings_(film)

There are several movies that inspired Indiana Jones and Raiders, including Secret of the Incas, and any number of serials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The full list can be seen in the "references" section in this link from IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/movieconnections

And yes, Secret of the Incas is on the list.

But not Valley of the Kings, which is the one Ben Mankiewicz was talking about.

Valley of the Kings features an American archaeologist with academic ties and the daughter of his dead mentor looking for fabled treasure and a religious artifact in Egypt. It also features a shady Egyptian contact named Salah/Sallah, and opens with a large excavation by native workers, just like the one at the midway point of Raiders

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

The full list can be seen in the "references" section in this link from IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/movieconnections

And yes, Secret of the Incas is on the list.

Viewers who do not look outside the MGM-WB-RKO films that TCM shows probably won't know about SECRET OF THE INCAS. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I watched it on Amazon Prime two years ago. It is notable for being Robert Young's last feature film before he concentrated on television. The exteriors were filmed on location and as a result the scenery is quite breath taking.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 1.17.35 PM.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ya know, I'm pretty sure a certain Bob Dylan song sort of influenced Messrs Spielberg and Lucas also.

Uh-huh, yep. And this scene in the flick in particular...

giphy.gif

(...c'mon now...do I REALLY need to say the punchline here???!!!)

;)

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

But not Valley of the Kings, which is the one Ben Mankiewicz was talking about.

Valley of the Kings features an American archaeologist with academic ties and the daughter of his dead mentor looking for fabled treasure and a religious artifact in Egypt. It also features a shady Egyptian contact named Salah/Sallah, and opens with a large excavation by native workers, just like the one at the midway point of Raiders

I remembered the scene where Belloq (the French-archeologist baddie) holds up the South American idol, the natives bow down, and Indy makes his run for it, was borrowed from the same scene in another Egyptian-adventure serial, as the Muslim call to prayer saves our heroes at the very last second from a hundred Arabian-thug scimitars, but I was blanking on which movie.

Also, reportedly, "Marian" was originally going to be Professor Jones' lovestruck student, who stowed away and followed him on his adventure, but story revisions decided to give Indy an old flame who knows the Himalayas better...And who, of course, was the daughter of an old archeologist friend.

(Um...it wouldn't hurt?  ? )

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The one Ben Mankiewicz discussed was Valley of the Kings (1954) with Robert Taylor & Eleanor Parker. I juts watched it last week, and it had the Ben Manky intro where he talked about the movie's influence on Raiders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Kings_(film)

There are several movies that inspired Indiana Jones and Raiders, including Secret of the Incas, and any number of serials.

but the look of Indiana jones is borrowed directly from heston in secret of the incas.

Image result for charlton heston secret of the incas

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

give the great man Heston is due.

doan cheat him because he became a conservative.

:D

Who is cheating anyone of anything? 

I was answering the OP's question, not trying to dispute what anyone else had to say. He asked what movie Ben Mankiewicz discussed in regards to its influence on Raiders of the Lost Ark, and seeing as how Secret of the Incas has never been shown on TCM, Ben's comments were likely not before that particular movie. 

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

dam right! chuck was the man!

the real Indiana jones

Image result for charlton heston secret of the incas

AAAAH! So THAT'S where Chuck got one of last and most famous lines in life from, EH Nip!

Uh-huh, YOU remember?! That one scene in The Secret of the Incas where Chuck says to those bad guys:

"You can have my whip when you pry it from my cold........"

(...well, you know)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, I'm pretty sure a certain Bob Dylan song sort of influenced Messrs Spielberg and Lucas also.

Uh-huh, yep. And this scene in the flick in particular...

giphy.gif

;)

I would hope you don't need to say the punchline! Just wanted to say I "got it"!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings