Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dmabcbaer

Facial Hair in 50s Movies

This may seen like a crazy (albeit fun) question but there?s a good reason for it, as I?ll explain shortly. The question is: what characters played by name actors appeared with facial hair in movies set in the 1950s? The only one I?ve come up with so far is Charlton Heston in Touch of Evil (by Orson Wells). The actors don?t have to play good guys, or even lead characters. And Groucho doesn?t count.

I?m in a stage production of Romeo and Juliet (the opera by Gounod), which is to be set in the 1950s. The director says (mostly correctly) that clean-shaven faces were all that you ever saw during that time. I?m looking for some examples to show that the claim is not 100% true. I don?t want to shave my mustache. Thanks for any examples you can come up with.

Didn't Clark Gable have a mustache is practically everything he was in, except for MUTANY ON THE BOUNTY, and apparently facial hair was not Navy Regulation! I'm much more a fan of Gable's 1930's movies, but perhaps someone else might be more aware of his 1950's movies. I think he sported a mustache in the 1960 THE MISFITS. Robert Taylor, in 1949's WATERLOO BRIDGE, had a dapper little mustache too. David Niven usually had one as well.

What about Vincent Price?

My husband said to check into William Powell too. He usually wore a mustache in most of his films.

Sorry, I'm really not able to give you specific movie titles, and apologize if I've given you an unintentional bum-steer. Perhaps my memory of actors w/mustaches will spur someone on to cough up a title or two for you.

Best of luck in keeping your facial hair!

I think this person is trying to find out if male stars of movies set in the 50's had mustaches. I thought of a few. Clifton Webb was in at least "Mr. Scoutmaster", William Powell in "How to Marry a Millionaire", Howard Keel was a popular leading man in the 50's and usually had mustache. Alix mentioned Gable, I also thought of Ward Bond but I checked his filmography and it seems most of his movies in the 50's were period pieces.

aah oh to help you out and i'm drawing a blank. i agree with alix clark gable did have that mustache in every movie it seems except mutiny on the bounty. i'm pretty sure a movie he made in 1959 was made i mean in 59 but the title is elusive maybe someone else will know it. gable plays a rich plantation owner and before this he was a ship boat captain his co-stars are sidney poitier and the lady who played lilly munster on the tv show the munsters. didnt the bridge over the river kwai come out in the 50's didn't a principle character have a mustache? and if run silent run deep came out in the 50's well there's another with gable. anyway i read that clark gable got his start on the stage though i'm not sure when he grew the mustache. this is why, the stage experience, he came to hollywood when talkies went out hollywood needed people with stage experience

since that person mentioned clifton webb-he was in titanic a night to remember with barbara stanwyk in the 50s i'm pretty sure it came out in the 50s. there's a young robert wagner in the titanic movie also though i'm sure he sans a mustache but..... i think i noticed a mustache on the blob and if that's not a 50s movie what ain't ha ha now watch me be mistaken did the blob come out in the late 50s or early 60s

Like I said--I don't think the original poster is looking for movies MADE in the 50's with people who had facial hair--I think they are looking for movies SET in the 50's where the person had facial hair. They are doing "Romeo & Juliet" where it's SET in the 1950's and he wants to know if mustaches were in style IN THE 50'S so he could justify having one for his role.

Dear gwtwbooklover. Sorry you are wrong! The Blob did NOT have a mustache! He DID have neato sideburns though.....

dmabcbaer, when you auditioned for the role did the director ask if you would be willing to shave your mustache off? If he/she did, and you said that you would shave, then you should honor that request. However, if changing facial hair was never brought up before you accepted the role, then I think that you are within your rights to refuse to do so. Of course, the director may decide to replace you if you can't come to an agreement/compromise. What role are you playing? A mustachioed Romeo would look silly and inappropriate, but an older character like The Prince may look fine with facial hair.

You didn't mention if this was an amateur or professional production. If it's a paying gig, then you probably have less say in the matter than you would in a non-paying gig. I direct theatre on a community level, and most directors usually bring up issues about hairstyles and such before casting, so as to avoid the type of dispute that you are having right now. When I was in college, there was always a box on the audition form where you had to check off if you were willing to change your appearance in any way.

Sandy K

gwtwbooklover, the movie you are thinking about is BAND OF ANGELS and was released in 1957. It co-starred Yvonne DeCarlo.

Good answer, Sandy!

But as to Gable, I just saw an offbeat little movie, 'Strange Interlude', based on a play by Eugene O'Neill. The 'thinking' of the characters which is played out loud is slightly disconcerting, or was to me on first viewing.

At any rate, Gable had no moustache in the beginning of the movie, and did in the latter part, which showed him as an older man. I'd be interested in hearing other reactions to this movie.

I'm just a lowly tenor in the chorus. We don't audition for specific parts, and although this is a highly profession production with a healthy six-figure budget, the chorus for the most part is composed of volunteers. We do it for the love of the music and for the opportunity to create music with musicians way out of our league (at least that's my view of the situation). So, on the one hand, they're not paying me enough to radically alter my appearance, but I'm having too much fun to raise a big stink. I just thought a few well-chosen examples everyone would immediate recognize would possibly save the day.

To that end, I'm astounded as always by the depth of knowledge of the participants in this message board. Thanks to all for what are some really good suggestions.

this is one of the first movies a watched when i discovered tcm on my cable line up. it was strange to be able to hear what the characters were thinking. i remember thinking should i be hearing this, where is this dialogue coming from? i got interested of course i recognized gable being the gwtw fan that i am. then i watched it and loved it i found it very original. i did find the older versions of the principle characters funny to look at you know them acting and appaearing old it didnt seem a vey transitional change it was like now we have white hair and now our characters act old they didn't seem convincing. but the movie still played well-did you have this experience deeanddaisy666

Well dmabcbaer have you put on the show yet? Or are you guys still rehearsing? Did you get to keep your mustache? What was the name of the production? Hope everything is going well or went well.