Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anyone seen the movie call her savage?

i decided to check it out i think on foxmovie channel because i had never seen clara bow and she seemed so fiesty and fun. it surprised me to see gilbert roland so handsome as well because i had no idea! they both were good together but it seemed to turn into a big soap opera even by pre-code terms and a bit offensive with her being savage just because she was the daughter of a cheif! i mean come on i am not even native american and i couldn't believe what was going on. nothing redeeming about that kind of storyline and what it sad is that probably a lot of people felt that way back then but it is quite another to make a movie to reflect those beliefs. i stuck thru the whole movie at least hoping her and gilbert roland would end up together by the end and that didn't seem to happen either!

The film deserves greater exposure as it's one of the wildest pre-code films that I've seen.

Clara whipping Roland and claiming it's practice for when she gets married.

Clara wrestling on the floor with an obviously male dog and getting all excited in the process (or else it was rather cold in the room).

Clara's catfight with Thelma Todd.

Her syphilitic husband trying to rape her in a hospital.

A drunken pedophile trying to entice Clara's little girl neighbor.

Clara hitting rock bottom and picking up a man on the street in order to earn money for food.

The gay waiters singing about men in sailor suits.

For all of that and more, I can excuse the lack of racial sensitivities.

NOTE:

The film will air again on April 25 at 6am on the Fox Movie Channel.

Message was edited by: clore

*Call Her Savage* is hugely entertaining.... *Hoop-La* was a remake of the silent film (with talking sequences) *The Barker* and is pretty good, with Clara playing a carny worker caught between Preston Foster and Minna Gombell. In *The Barker,* Clara's part was played by Dorothy Mackaill, while Betty Compson won an Oscar nomination in the role played later by Gombell. The Barker was originally played by Milton Sills. I have *Hoop-La,* Scott, if you want to trade....

*Call Her Savage* is a strange but delicious concoction. It has a super cast, it's got amazing precode moments that put other precodes to shame (films like this probably started the ball rolling in tightening up the Code eventually) and yet it has a believable ending that is like life itself. You see Clara's character change quite dramatically by the end, while still leaving you guessing, so it must have been an interesting and juicy part for her to play; she frankly had some duds in her career, both silents and sounds, but this film isn't one of them. It allowed her to be more than one dimensional.

I particularly enjoy her scenes with Monroe Owsley. I don't know what it is about him but he tickles my funny bone to no end. I always get a delightful grin on my face whenever he shows up in a precode film: I know I'm in for some laughs. Some people have the same reaction to Lee Tracy, and he's good, but Monroe is sleazier. It's like a guilty pleasure to watch him try to snooker the ladies and get his comeuppance. :)

savage2.jpg

savage1.jpg

Ironically, Call Her Savage is one of the VERY FEW pre-codes

that the Fox Movie Channel ever runs! It probably averages at least once a month. Meanwhile other great Fox films made prior to 1950 can only be viewed at special theater events in the major cities. I don't understand their broadcasting policy. I'd bet their audience would grow if only

more older films such as this were aired on a regular basis. The only other older films

they ever broadcast are: Blood Money, Zoo in Budapest, Chandu the Magician. On rare occasions

they run Affairs of Cellini. Man's Castle is a Fox film and TCM ran that one.

>>Ironically, Call Her Savage is one of the VERY FEW pre-codes that the Fox Movie Channel ever runs!

True, but it's one that they can't run often enough, it needs more exposure.

One big problem I have with the channel is that it seems the only B&W films that get exposure in prime time are Gentleman's Agreement and Young Frankenstein.

They relegate the pre-50s stuff to 6am - 12n Eastern time. In the next two weeks (generally as far ahead as you can get on the web site) are

Moon Over Miami

My Darling Clementine

The Purple Heart

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Thieves' Highway

Drums Along the Mohawk

Call of the Wild

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Road House

Fallen Angel

The Big Lift

Something For the Boys

Immortal Sergeant

Thanks for the heads up about *Call of the Wild*. I'd like a better copy. I missed it this morning but they're playing it again on April 25th. My old copy is recorded off AMC about two years ago and it is chopped up with commercials, station bugs, and "what drivel you don't care about is coming up next on AMC...." animated banners. Yuck. To think that station was so good in the 1990's and now is an embarrassment.

I had a sleepless night about a month ago and out of desperation, I watched *Machine Gun Kelly* on AMC at 4am. I hadn't seen it since it aired locally in 1964.

It's an 80 minute movie that used a full two-hour slot. That's a 33% commercial load, and what commercials they were - male enhancement products (two brands), a **** pump, a fingertip massager for women.

Plus, as you mentioned, there were all sorts of animated intrusions during the movie for upcoming programs and their website.

There was a time when one could say that AMC was the model for TCM, but watching it that last time only served to remind me of why I wouldn't watch that channel even if I were starring in the featured movie. :)

Unfortunately when I want to move up on my dial I have to pass AMC two stations away from TCM. One time I was clicking through and I saw a scene of a woman on a toilet bowl wiping herself. Oh yeah, I said to myself, this is a real "American Movie Classic". And I am George Washington's horse. Naaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> The film deserves greater exposure as it's one of the wildest pre-code films that I've seen.

>

> Clara whipping Roland and claiming it's practice for when she gets married.

>

> Clara wrestling on the floor with an obviously male dog and getting all excited in the process (or else it was rather cold in the room).

>

> Clara's catfight with Thelma Todd.

>

> Her syphilitic husband trying to rape her in a hospital.

>

> A drunken pedophile trying to entice Clara's little girl neighbor.

>

> Clara hitting rock bottom and picking up a man on the street in order to earn money for food.

>

> The gay waiters singing about men in sailor suits.

>

> For all of that and more, I can excuse the lack of racial sensitivities.

>

> NOTE:

> The film will air again on April 25 at 6am on the Fox Movie Channel.

>

> Message was edited by: clore

It doesn't get "pre-Codier" than CALL HER SAVAGE. Love it!

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

> Unfortunately when I want to move up on my dial I have to pass AMC two stations away from TCM.

Have you checked the instruction manual for your cable box or TV? Just about all cable boxes, DVRs and newer TV sets allow you to lock out channels you don't want. When AMC consumated their "pact with the devil" I locked them out of all my DirecTV receivers which also removed them from the on-screen program listings. Since I don't bother to look at AMC's listings in the paper, they no longer exist in my little world. Keeps my blood pressure down since I can't see the junk they play now.

I watched it again yesterday morning - it gets better with each viewing. This time I recorded it.

I'm looking forward to the two pre-code films tonight on TCM - a Lubitsch and a Whale:

8:00 PM Broken Lullaby (1932)

A guilt-ridden World War I veteran travels to Germany to meet the family of a man he killed. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll, Phillips Holmes. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. BW-76 mins,

9:30 PM Kiss Before the Mirror, The (1933)

An attorney defending a friend whose wife cheated on him suspects his own wife of adultery. Cast: Nancy Carroll, Frank Morgan, Paul Lukas. Dir: James Whale. BW-67 mins,

I've seen Whale's own remake of his film, titled *Wives Under Suspicion* which had Warren William in the lead. It will be interesting to compare the two.

BROKEN LULLABY is a very good Ernst Lubitsch film. Nancy Kelly is good in it as are Phillips Holmes and Lionel Barrymore. AMC used to run this film back in the "good old days".

I am looking forward to seeing it again. I have never seen KISS BEFORE THE MIRROR, so that will be a real treat to watch.

*Broken Lullaby* is probably the best quality film out of these three Nancy Carroll films they are playing tonight (that's probably why they are playing it first); however Nancy doesn't really get much to do in it, though she gives a sweet and tender performance. I am looking forward to getting a good digital print for this one. My other print is typical VHS quality, watchable but not exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about "Call Her Savage..."

When does Nasa get pregnant by the husband? Is it on the wedding night, or does he actually rape her when she comes to see him in the hospital? She looks very slim & fit when she goes to visit him, but then afterwards, there's a baby.

I could never quite figure out the timeline of these events...

I've only seen Call Her Savage once, but I got the idea that it was from the hospital scene.

One thing that always makes me laugh about old movies is that no one actually looks pregnant in them. Have you ever seen "Life Begins?" An entire film set in a maternity ward and not one woman has even the suggestion of a baby bump.

• 4 months later...

Just watched this fantastic movie -- got a DVDR of the Fox Movie Channel broadcast. I thought it was great, as Pre-Code as you can get. As for "Dynamite's" sudden pregnancy, I too laughed at how thin she was in the scene before she was pregnant. "A seven month baby," as the doctor put it. My take is she got pregnant on her wedding night. The way the film's sequenced, she gives birth shortly after meeting with her "flu-ridden" yet psychotic husband. At the end of that scene where he attacks her and she knocks him out, the doctor tells her the husband's nuts, but not to "worry about him." Dynamite's response is, "I'm not worried about HIM." And then directly after that we have her seeing her freshly-delivered baby for the first time.

Archived