Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have They Ever Shown Disney Movies Besides During Treasures From The Disney Vault

David Guercio

From time to time.  Have they also ever shown Disney movies besides during Treasures From The Disney Vualt?  I,m pretty sure they have.  If I remember right.  I,m just asking because.  If I have an idea for an event and if I maybe were to pick a Disney movie to be a part of it.  I kind of just don,t want to accidentally take any ideas for Treasures From The Disney Vualt.

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

About 10 years ago (maybe even 11 or 12 years) they had a month where they had live-action Disney films on four different nights. Also, about 3 or 4 years ago, Old Yeller turned up by itself one afternoon.

I just checked MovieCollector's database to confirm it. TCM had a spotlight on Disney live-action films at the end of 2009. Maltin was not the host for it. 

• Thanks 1

I found an old TCM article. It was called "Disney Marathon Introduction," meant to coincide with a documentary that had been produced. The documentary was called The Age of Believing, and it was narrated by Angela Lansbury. 

Ben co-hosted a 24 hour marathon of Disney live action films on the 26th of December in 2009, with the director of the Walt Disney Archive, Rebecca Cline. 

Eight live action titles were screened that day plus the documentary.

Here's the article:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/359572|0/Disney-Marathon.html

David,

We have a member named MovieCollectorOH who keeps a database with information on the movies that have been shown on TCM.  According to these records, Bedknobs and Broomsticks has been shown 10 times in the past on TCM, with the last airing in November, 2009.  From another reference it looks like Angela Lansbury has been Star Of The Month on TCM in October 1994 and January 2012.  So Bedknobs and Broomsticks may have been shown in October 1994 to match your recollection, but unfortunately I can't confirm that from the information available to me.

TCM has scheduled another evening of Treasures from the Disney Vault on October 15 (as TopBilled refers to above).  Normally these evenings consist entirely of TCM premieres, but both the scheduled films Bedknobs and Broomsticks as well as The Black Hole (1979) will not be premieres, with The Black Hole last shown on TCM in December 2009 per the records.  So these two films coming up meet the conditions of your question.

A partial list of other popular Disney films that have also been shown on TCM several times in the past would include 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), The Absent Minded Professor (1961), Escape to Witch Mountain (1975), and Freaky Friday (1976), to name a few.

21 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

David,

We have a member named MovieCollectorOH who keeps a database with information on the movies that have been shown on TCM.  According to these records, Bedknobs and Broomsticks has been shown 10 times in the past on TCM, with the last airing in November, 2009.  From another reference it looks like Angela Lansbury has been Star Of The Month on TCM in October 1994 and January 2012.  So Bedknobs and Broomsticks may have been shown in October 1994 to match your recollection, but unfortunately I can't confirm that from the information available to me.

TCM has scheduled another evening of Treasures from the Disney Vault on October 15 (as TopBilled refers to above).  Normally these evenings consist entirely of TCM premieres, but both the scheduled films Bedknobs and Broomsticks as well as The Black Hole (1979) will not be premieres, with The Black Hole last shown on TCM in December 2009 per the records.  So these two films coming up meet the conditions of your question.

A partial list of other popular Disney films that have also been shown on TCM several times in the past would include 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), The Absent Minded Professor (1961), Escape to Witch Mountain (1975), and Freaky Friday (1976), to name a few.

I don't think BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS was ever shown for Lansbury's Star of the Month tributes. TCM usually stuck with her MGM, WB, Columbia and UA output. None of her Paramount or Disney films were ever included for that.

There's a 1958 Western called The Proud Rebel with Alan Ladd and Olivia DeHavilland that I think was independently produced but Disney ended up distributing it through its Buena Vista imprint that TCM has aired several times in recent years, most recently in April of this year.

TCM has aired The Absent-Minded Professor a number of times independent of any Disney-specific programming theme. The most recent was January, 2016.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:59 PM, David Guercio said:

From time to time.  Have they also ever shown Disney movies besides during Treasures From The Disney Vualt?  I,m pretty sure they have.  If I remember right.  I,m just asking because.  If I have an idea for an event and if I maybe were to pick a Disney movie to be a part of it.  I kind of just don,t want to accidentally take any ideas for Treasures From The Disney Vualt.

I know that OLD YELLER was aired once and not as part of a special Disney line-up evening.

The reason I was asking.  Was because I just dreamed up something so cool For Essential,s Jr that I,m going to post on the Essential,s Jr board right after Summer Under The Stars and if we,re lucky.  Maybe it will happen next summer.  I have got it all planned.  The theme.  Ideas for hosts.  A lineup.  All that.  I think I,m going to save the Disney movies for Treasures From The Disney Vault.  So be ready for my post next month.  I hope you like it.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings