Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

often posts are asked of memorable movies and this is one for me. i could not watch it the first time i saw it because of the character played by Andy Griffith. see i had seen him for years as sheriff taylor and it disturbed me to see him playing this slimy character wonder if anyone else has felt this way? when i finally made my self watch it it blew my socks off. in my opinion Griffith deserved an oscar nomination for this role though i don't know what else was nominated that year. what else that strikes me about this movie is its relavance even today how one person with a little exposure to radio or tv could influence masses. Griffith nailed this role. i also loved pat neal's performance she played that arkansan woman so well with her accent and the emotions of a woman attracted to a man who is bad for her and how she feels responsible for bringing him to the forefront. also walter matthau gets kudos for his supporting role a wonderuful piece of movie making. this movie is timeless at election time at the time when someone is trying to influence the masses and it fits right in with reality shows if you haven't seen it do it

brackenhe,

I wasn't going to say anything re: your post on the Reagan thread. However, after reading this post, I'd like to ask that you refrain from bringing politics to these boards unless, of course, it has something to do with films. That is, after all, why those of us who frequent these boards come here to read & learn.

Having participated in other forums across the internet, I've seen good forums go bad because of trolls and other off-topic "conversations". You may not have intended to interject your political views here, but I can tell you that they are not welcome (regardless of your viewpoint).

Please, EVERYONE, let's try to keep our discussions focused on the films (shown on TCM or not) and refrain from political cheap shots or other volatile messages not related to film.

Thank you.

Both NEAL and GRIFFITH give electrifying performances FACE IN THE CROWD. I didn't quite like the film when I first saw it, but have since come to appreciate it. It is so chilling it is sometimes difficult for me to watch it all the way through.

OK OK I give--I thought better about it--you can see my thoughts on the President Reagan board. I don't want to become a pariah or a troll. That's just not me. Why don't we just agree to disagree and forget I ever said anything? I explained my reason in the other posts.

Man, I really detest this movie with a passion! The only thing I find interesting about it is the performance of Marshall "Mickey" Neilan who plays the General. Neilan was one of the great silent film directors of all-time. A favorite of Mary Pickford, and Gloria Swanson. In fact you can catch a piece of Neilan's work this weekend when the gem Amarilly of Clothes-line Alley (1918) is shown on Silent Sunday Night.

Besides her...physical charms, don't forget what a wonderful light comedienne she became. Many of my favorite movie lines were spoken by Jean Harlow. Case in point, from RED HEADED WOMAN:

Jean (wearing a dress without a slip): Can you see through this?

Salesgirl: I'm afraid you can, miss.

Jean: Well, I'll take it.

I got a tremendous kick out of her in DINNER AT EIGHT, playing opposite Wallace Beery. Her "Kitty Packard" was great. I love the way she baby talks him into going to the party:

Jean: Dan-ny? Kitty wants to go to see all the Lords and Ladies in the big foo-foo house!

No one could turn on the fake sugar like Jean.

Maybe it's just me, but I have no problem with any and all political sparring, if it is done calmly and respectfully. I trust everyone at this board to engage in such a fashion, and I think that any censorship, imposed either from within or without, does us all a great disservice. One of our board members feels that Lonesome Rhodes' living testament is Rush Limbaugh; I don't. We can merely agree to disagree and leave it

at that. But the very fact that SOMEONE in here sees cues from that film in real life today is a testament to the film's prescient and resonant themes, and isn't that exactly WHY we are discussing the film here?

You are all among the most intelligent, rational movie fans I have ever come across. Let's not sell ourselves short by assuming that any of us will give in to evil inclinations just because a hot-button topic comes our way.

Cinemetal,

I couldn't agree with you more. I just don't like that you can't even go one degree off-topic here without someone calling you a troll or chastising you in some way (Anyone who calls someone a 'Troll' has spent way too much time in the Dungeons and Dragons club!). It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen it done to others here and I sometimes feel that I have to censor certain things that I post here. Sometimes digressions can make for some really thought-provoking posts. I just wanted to thank you for saying it, even though it may not be a popular opinion for some........

• 2 weeks later...