Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Young TCM watchers

Kate1Fan

I am 25 years old, and I was just wondering how many other young viewers there were out there. People tell me all the time that I am a rare 20-something year old, because I watch so classic movies, and can discuss any actor you can name. If you are out there, please respond. I would like to know if you are out there!

I grew up on movies and TV, flip flopping a preference for them. In the '80s and '90s, I'd see every movie put into theaters, so my historical appetite for films SEEMED complete. But now, each year with TCM, I realize how thin my veneer of film understanding is, and how many incredibly good films I see - almost on a weekly basis - that I'd never heard of or seen before. So there seems to be a lot of "completely new to me" films to watch. Regardless of age, they're still new. Perhaps my older age makes me even more exasperated - "Why hasn't this film been shown in the last 30-40 years?!!"

For you, that might only be 10-15 or 20 years! ha ha

Seriously on any given day, I am always looking forward to what will be TCM. Like you, if I have never seen it before I was always give it a shot and watch it, because it will be new to me. But if ever given the chance to be on TCM I would take it. But I would need more than a year of programming, so I could get every movie I love in there.

Here are 2 definitions of what a "classic" movie is

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/

http://www.reelclassics.com/Articles/General/definingclassic-article.htm

Taken together, it about sums it up. The definition should be kept seperate from "vintage".

The question is does certain movies requires a certain amount of time before it becomes a classic.

This has been one of the most debated topics on this forum. No one answer fits all.

I don't think that there is a timeframe on a movie becoming classic. It is all about the message and its capability to reaching audiences. Example: Titantic became an instant classic, and it is only ten years old. And all the movies we have had come out this year; Revolutionary Road, Reader, The Wrestler, etc. It has been a great year in film.

I am 22 years old and have been watching TCM since 2003. It is by far the best channel on television. The 31 Days Of Oscars and Summer Under The Star are the best two movie marathons on television. Summer Under The Stars is usually the best marathon on television period. I have no problem with TCM playing newer movies but they should limit it to under five per month. If you look at the schedule for TCM UK and you will find too many 80's and 90's movies on there and no silent movies. I am not a fan of silent movies but you still have to keep playing them. I don't see TCM to change into TCM UK in a very long time because the fan base over here is a little stronger and as long as Robert Osborne is evolved with TCM it will never happen.

I'm 25 and love classic movies more than almost anything. I walk into the room and automatically turn on the TV (yes, Manchurian Candidate fans, I'm type #1), and always check TCM. I love to watch whatever they show even if I'm seeing it from the middle--like just now, I can't seem to turn off Seven Brides, even though it's in the middle and I have every line, dance step, musical note, and sound effect memorized. I have a lot of old movies memorized (and newer movies too), and most of my DVDs are classic films. I know all the old actors, directors, musicians, etc. I'm the only person I know with lists of favorite directors, screenplays, cinematographers, etc.

I also love classic music (jazz, classical, etc), classic musicals and plays, classic books, and classic TV shows. I'm a freak and I love it. But it's hard for people like us (young people who love The Classics) to meet other young people who get it when I say, "Some of my best friends are married men" or "Hey, I'm depraved on account of I'm deprived!" So it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

People who don't watch classic movies are missing out on the joy we all know, eh?

Thank you! Guys so much for posting young TCM watchers some how this has been

my little secet tryed talking with others my age about all these good movies and I'm

made to look bad like I'm from another world Turner Classics is a great channel would'nt

take any other channel for it!

I'm not young, but I had to put my two cents in here.

I am *thrilled* to see you kids here, feeling as you do about the classics. Juan, a very young man of 15, who guest hosted last night with Robert O. , and ILoveRayMilland and another memeber here whose name escapes me, affirms the torch is passed down! To use your own words, though I'm probably behind the times, you guys rock! :-)

So what got all you guys into watching the "classics". For me, it was actually an ex-boyfriend, who loved Charlie Chaplin. We used to watch Chaplin films all the time. Now, I can't get enough of silent era films. I also love musicals, anything with Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, CAry Grant, Jimmy Stewart. Well ok anything, but those are a few of my favorites! :)

What turned me onto classic movies? Well I was raised on classic movies---my dad is a self-appointed film historian and turned me into one (now I know some things better than he does, but not all, so we make a great team). we all quote classic movies all the time and watch at least one movie a day (usually two or three, if you count MST3K movies). I was raised to be a nerd and I am one. When I was a kid my favorite movie was The King and I. When I was 3 my baby sitter put on Mary Poppins and I am reported to have said (this was before I was conscious of myself so I don't remember, but apparentlty I said), "That's not really Mary Poppins---that's Julie Andrews. ANd Dick Van Dyke's accent is terrible, but his dancing is good."

What I love most about classic movies is no matter how many great movies I see, there are always so many more amazing movies out there. Like the other day I got sucked into Angels Have Dirty Faces--never seen it before. I also like that I don't have to worry about gratuitous nudity or hearing the F word 900 times (I'm kinda conservative).

I'm 26, and I have loved classic movies for a long time. My parents aren't into classic movies so I got into them on my own somehow. My favorite movie as a kid was The Wizard of Oz. When I got a little bit older, I would catch classic movies on TV. I thought they were romantic, and I loved the clothes. I thought that the women were so beautiful and the men were so romantic and gentlemanly. I am also a musical theatre fan so I enjoyed the movie musicals. By the time I was in high school, I began actually renting for purchasing classic movies instead of just waiting to catch them on TV. I pretty much stuck to romance and musicals when I was younger, but I have since broadened my horizons. I am still a sucker for romance, though.

I don't personally know a lot of people my age who enjoy classics as much as I do. I can only think of 3 off of the top of my head, and one of those is my husband which is largely my doing. I can't get anyone to play TCM Scene It with me! A lot of people my age prefer to go out dancing or to the bar to escape and have fun. I use movies to escape, and I am sort of a homebody. It is nice to see other people out there who are "different" like I am.

For the younger viewers, I think you'll discover that you and your friends will learn to love older movies, each year of your lives. I'm rather shocked that I've had such a growing disdain for newer ones, in comparison, but my hometown's got a thriving film-festival community so we have 11 months a year of classic films being shown somewhere in town. It's interesting to see the Dollar Theaters filling up their screens with some of these.

Archived