Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Song of the South

Does anyone remember this film? Since it's not available on DVD then how did we watch it when I was a kid? I remember seeing it some how. I watched movies in the 70's & 80's. Has this ever been on TCM in the last 15 years or so? I heard that it might be released on DVD last this year. Has anyone else heard this?

Disney pulled it from U.S. distribution, I guess in the 1980s, because of the complaints about it being"racist" and it's not available to TCM or anybody else. Of course, it has been released in other countries such as Japan where it came out on laser disc when that format was popular. I've been hearing about a DVD release for years, but I'll believe it when I see it. There have been bootleg VHS and DVDs around, mastered from the Japanese release, but nothing legal.

Message was edited by: markfp2

If you search "song of the south" on ebay, you can find numerous offers for the British release of the movie in PAL format. Several years ago, I bought a copy on Ebay which came with a (not very good) copy of the movie in US NTSC format. It might still be possible to find it that way.

I remember the movie well -- I saw it as a child. It's interesting that although Disney refuses to release the movie any more, they still use some of the famous characters from the movie, B'rer Fox, B'rer Bear, and B'rer Rabbit in one of the rollercoaster rides at Disney world, and I suppose in lots of other places as well. Kids can see the characters, but they'll never know where they originally came from.

• 9 months later...

I bumped this thread because I found some rare behind the scenes footage of this film on youtube. I thought some people here might find it interesting to watch.

It's in three parts. No sound.

part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

I remember when I was a kid (early 80s) my grandfather found this old record set with all the songs from "Song of the South" on it, along with a sing-a-long book for children. It looked like a Salvation Army or garage sale find. If you are looking for the movie's music, perhaps search antiquated book/record sites or stores, because they (at least) had this one children's set out at one point.

Jonny,

Of all the Hollywood studios, Disney is probably the touchiest with anything that they fear might cause embarrassment to the company, and therefore also the most PC of them all.

Not only do they keep Song of the South safely hidden away from prying eyes, they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia, took away Pecos Bill's cigar in Melody Time and cut out one of the shorts of Make Mine Music - the one with Hatfield and the McCoys (maybe they thought it was too much of a hillbilly caricature?)

So, that might be part of the explanation you seek, I hope.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> i don't understand why "Song of the South" has been banished to the salt mines while "White Christmas" STILL has the "Ole Abe Lincoln" blackface number and they sell the damn DVD at Starbucks.

>

> Someone correct me if my facts are wrong.

I think you may have meant Holiday Inn instead of White Christmas (which does a minstrel number btw)

How ya' doin' otherwise? Where's your favorite Starbucks? Mine is in the B&N @ MOA...

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 25, 2010 10:26 AM

I know a lot of people here shun bootleg DVD's but is this one of the very rare reasons we shouldn't complain? If Disney has no intention of ever re-releasing it, *why complain?*

Many of these types of old movies are only available this way, mostly from other countries that don't have a hang up over the issue. Political correctness is relagating many movies to the "salt mines".

I'm just surprised that Warner Brothers released the 3 disc DVD of "The Jazz Singer" (might be the last). My feeling is, all movies should be released to the general public. If one is disturbed by any part of it, *then don't buy it!* A studio can always sell 2 versions, one original and one edited for sensitive people.

Think I didn't notice that the only Sybil Jason movie that was NOT shown on November 23, 2009 was "The Singing Kid". Surprised that TCM didn't air it since they have it in their DVD movie site.

Disney is one of the most political correct studios ever, they even rewrote cultural history by placing minority children in an orphanage during the 1930's in their release of "Annie" knowing plainly well segregation was a fact of life during that time period. Talk about creating confusion for future generations.

I can just see some kids 50 years from now after watching Disney's "Annie", saying to their parents "I thought they claim segregation was a part of life during the early 20th Century, I just saw a movie that shows this is NOT TRUE. Someone's lying! - I'm so confused."

About Starbucks you all must be richer than you all claim. :)

I myself only drink Folgers. Thank you Mrs Olson for saving me a small fortune.

*i don't understand why "Song of the South" has been banished to the salt mines while "White Christmas" STILL has the "Ole Abe Lincoln" blackface number and they sell the damn DVD at Starbucks.*

*Someone correct me if my facts are wrong.*

Ah, it's not *White Christmas* that has the musical number you referenced. There is no blackface in *White Christmas*. You are thinking of *Holiday Inn*, the precursor to *WC*.

I think Disney needs to "stop treating us like children" and distribute the DVD in its entirety. Put an apology in the Special Features section, if they must. I recently purchased a Best Of Bugs Bunny DVD and in it there is an apology displayed before they show each Speedy Gonzales episode. And yes, I was insulted by the apology. But, I guess my opinion doesn't matter. Maybe there needs to be an apology before each Sylvester the Cat episode or Foghorn Leghorn for cruelty to animals.

TCM should be an advocate to stop censoring these movies. How are we to learn from the mistakes of the past if we are kept from seeing their existence.

I never thought Speedy Gonzales was racist, just the opposite. Didn't he always outwit, out smarted his pursurors unless that a "bad quality"??

About the "How are we to learn from the mistakes of the past" comment, how will future generations learn if they see movies like Disney's "Annie" that shows a rewritten view of history.

How many of us today don't know the true facts from ancient history .i.e. 1,000 2,000 years ago etc.because the victors always rewrite history only to convey their point of view. This is how myths are created.

*But we still have the Taco Bell Chihuahua...*

Ah, the TB Chihuahua passed away a few months ago.

On a different note, the founder of Taco Bell passed away a few weeks ago.

Did TB just get rid of that campaign when the original Chihuahua died? For some reason I just thought they'd get another Chihuahua and carry on.

But if the campaign was abandoned, maybe it's a good thing.

Then again, I watch TCM 99% of the time so I wouldn't have seen the Taco Bell commercials, regardless.

*But if the campaign was abandoned, maybe it's a good thing.*

*Then again, I watch TCM 99% of the time so I wouldn't have seen the Taco Bell commercials, regardless.*

Both obits were in the LA Times down here probably because the founder of Taco Bell was from the area.

* they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia*

As a Disney fan who has never heard of this I am intrigued----WHAT did they censor, Holly?

As for Song of the South, according to my father the film historian, it's not nearly as racist as people say, and the Uncle Remus actor actually got an honorary oscar for that role, and it's certainly not as bad as the Abraham number in Holiday Inn, but I for one am still uncomfortable seeing it. In fact, I haven't even ridden the ride version since I was a kid because I just like to avoid those things. but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist on DVD.

I too am annoyed when people make accurate movies about old times and they try to inflict our views on old times, i.e. having black and white and asian people living together in River City. It's fine to colorblind cast, but not in a historical setting that is otherwise trying to be accurate. If their views make you uncomfortable, then don't bring it up at all, but by "colorblind casting" you're, as someone else here said, just confusing everyone. If kids think there never was racism, they won't appreciate Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks. If they think racism still doesn't exist they will unknowingly preserve the status quo.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> * they also engaged in some minor censorship with Fantasia*

>

> As a Disney fan who has never heard of this I am intrigued----WHAT did they censor, Holly?

>

I'm sure Holly and others could answer this more completely (and I hope they will), but I believe I once heard that one thing that was altered was the "Oriental look" on some of the mushrooms.

My bad on the Holiday Inn mix-up. I had a feeling I was getting something wrong as I tend to avoid movies about the holidays and/or featuring Danny Kaye.

I will always remember, an episode of my life a few years ago:

My Dad and I were really stressed with the usual Christmas bull**** . We got home from some dinner or party or something and I turned on TCM while I cleaned the kitchen.

Holiday Inn was on and they were smack in the mid part of Ole' Abe Lincoln . It was one of the most offensive things I've ever seen and the both of us almost died laughing, It really brightened up the night for us.

I love it when TCM goes all un-PC

ps-This has to be one of the most intriguing and hilarious series of threads I have read on this site.